Best preamp for 80's rock/metal?

gwarner

• Members

Agreed. They were everywhere in the mid-late '80's.

Scott

+1. Absolutely MP-1. If you were around and playing the answer's so obvious there's actually not even any point discussing it. They were literally the defining piece of gear for the late 80's metal scene. Racks were mainstream then so you can just look at what everyone was actually using.

• Members

+1. Absolutely MP-1. If you were around and playing the answer's so obvious there's actually not even any point discussing it. They were literally the defining piece of gear for the late 80's metal scene. Racks were mainstream then so you can just look at what everyone was actually using.

All of my friends that had a MP-1 couldn't wait to get the MP-2 when it came out. Ironically, you don't hear much about those (MP-2). Holy flashback!

Scott

• Members

All of my friends that had a MP-1 couldn't wait to get the MP-2 when it came out. Ironically, you don't hear much about those (MP-2). Holy flashback!

Scott

Yeah, the MP-2 had some diehards but didn't get any where near as much love, I've always wondered if a lot of people just shot themselves in the foot with it (since it had a lot more voicings, controls, and an EQ) or if they really just dropped the ball on it.

I've considered getting one now that they're this old obscure piece, just to see what all the fuss was about but I hit my preamp limit a year or two back (i.e. my wife would throw a fit if the UPS truck pulls up again ;) ).

They definitely hit one out of the park with MP-1 Classic, though... but the company bit the big one before that unit could get a good user base built up.

• Members

The MP-1 is pretty good and was popular back in the day not only because it was good, but it was nearly the only thing of it's kind available at the time. I have had 2 ADA's; one stock and another heavily modded. The modded version allows for quieter operation and some more modern high gain stuff. The stock units tend to be be noisy. The two units that came out after the ADA that I used back in the 80's with great success were the Rocktron Progap and the Chameleon. The Progap NAILS 80's metal, particularly Maiden type stuff, which is what I used it for. It has a built in Hush/gate, effects loop, pre/post eq - great unit and much more versatile than the ADA, IMHO. The biggest issue was it lacked effects onboard. The Chameleon changed it all when it came out. All the features of the Progap with amazing onboard effects and even more gain. More than I ever used or use today, even for more current metal. The best thing I can say is I still have both a Progap and Chameleon in my rack today and use them every show; I sold my modded ADA a year ago and it more than covered the cost to replace the Rocktron's I sold years ago. Very underrated equipment and is used far more often than people realize. Of course the Prophesy is amazing too, but far more expensive.

• Members

another vote for MP-1.

Although I would suggest a

Hey guys,

I own 2 ADA Depot 3TM "Ultra" modded MP-1 preamps. They absolutely detroy the Mesa Boogie Triaxis & the Rocktron Pirahana preamps. The 3TM "Ultra" modded version runs much quieter and has really good gain. You have to have its custom made 3 12AX7 preamp tube circuitboard installed and remove the stock tube circuitboard. I can't wait to buy & install their MDRT transformer for the 3TM modded MP-1 preamp. I understand that transformer really improves the tone of the MP-1 preamp as well.

Guitar George

• Members

how much is that 3tm in $USD to have done ?

Hey EdgeOfDarkness,

The ADA Depot 3TM mod can be found here:

www.adadepot.com

You can either send your stock ADA MP-1 preamp to Belgium (you pay for shipping both ways) and have the tech install the 3TM mod and "Ultra" mod to upgrade your MP-1 preamp or you can buy the 3TM mod kit, have it sent to the U.S. and have your amp tech install it for you or you can install it yourself. I highly recommend the 3TM mod, "Ultra mods" and the MDRT transformer, if you can afford it. It makes a stock MP-1 preamp into a real firebreathing gain machine.

Guitar George

• Members

I love my MP-1 rig! I played Friday night, and again last night, and the MP-1 was consistent and great-sounding as usual. I got a lot of compliments on my playing and tone, which I credit the rig for. The thing sounds so good that I play above my abilities. :love:

Archived