ISP decimator users please help..

• Members

I asked this ? to ISP but no response as of yet...maybe you guys can help...

My rack is as follows....Marshall JMP1 preamp (Alesis Quadraverb gt in effects loop) to a Carvin TS100 power amp to 2 (4x12) Marshall cabs....

My problem is as follows,,,I use high gain and I have to stand fairly close to the gear...so I get a loud hisss a bad hum wich both get louder as I turn up and on top of it a high sqeal when I krank up the volume knob on the guitar..

would the Decimator help with any or all of these issues and how do you hook it up in a stereo rack..

thanks for any and all advice...

PS: I know the gear is ok since on a clean setting the rig is super quiet even at high volume...

• Members

so I get a loud hisss a bad hum wich both get louder as I turn up and on top of it a high sqeal when I krank up the volume knob on the guitar..

It sounds like you just need to turn your gain down until it stops squealing.

• Members

I just had a similar problem. It turned out to be a ground loop within my rack. The noise was obnoxious, like how you explained. Also, the noise wasn't audible on my clean channel as it was on my high gain channels.

I had to isolate which rack piece(s) it was. I tried each unit by themselves and once I found the problem child (GCX), I disconnected the ground.

You could also use humfrees on each unit, ground lift on problem unit, etc...

If you still have a high pitch squeal try swapping any preamp tubes your rack has with new or known good tubes.

Your guitar may also have an unexpected ground problem. Check that out , too.

Good luck,

Scott

• Members

I just had a similar problem. It turned out to be a ground loop within my rack. The noise was obnoxious, like how you explained. Also, the noise wasn't present on my clean channel--only my high gain channels.

How can you have ground loop noise on one channel of a preamp and not the other? :confused: Do you have separate preamps for clean and distortion?

• Members

well I know the problem child is the jmp1 preamp....when you krank up the gain on these units, you get hiss... would the decimator kill the hiss?...and as for the ground lift thing, the jmp1 has no ground lift switch...so how do you do it?

again thanks...

• Members

The decimator pedal or the ProRackG will eliminate the hiss. But it's not a plug and play pedal. You have to take the time to dial it in or it won't do it's job. A few minutes tweaking will put a smile on your face. :)

Do not get a Boss NS-2.

Do not get a HUSH unit.

Stick with the ISP... period

And give Buck a chance to answer you. He may be busy but the guy is out of this world with customer service. He will answer any questions you have.

• Members

The decimator pedal or the ProRackG will eliminate the hiss. But it's not a plug and play pedal. You have to take the time to dial it in or it won't do it's job. A few minutes tweaking will put a smile on your face.
:)

Do not get a Boss NS-2.

Do not get a HUSH unit.

Stick with the ISP... period

+1 I had to fiddle around with mine for a while to get it where I wanted it. I haven't used anything better, and I am not sure if there is anything out there any better to be honest. I use a lot of high gain with 7's(waiting on an 8-string) with passive pups and it stifles the sound of the passive pups & the Engl which has some noise issues(at least mine did) on it's own naturally at high gain. It's a very good unit.

I've never had to contact ISP, so I can't really comment on how good/bad the customer service is.

• Members

If you get a ProRackG made prior to Nov. and you play a lot of high gain, make sure you get the other mod done to eliminate the artifacts.

http://www.isptechnologies.com/decimatortimevectorprocessingmod.htm

Fairly easy to do yourself. I had my cousin hold the resistors in place while I soldered. Done in 5 minutes.

Makes a world of difference

• Members

i had the same problem with my rig and the isp takes a while to get it setup perfect so that you dont sacrifice any gain but once u get it all set its the best noise suppressor period :D they make a stereo modded isp decimator for like an extra 60 bux i just picked up mine last week and before i was usin two ns-2s to silence my rig and i cant believe how much the tone suffered from them get the decimator its worth it

• Members

I'm using the ISP Prorackg with my JMP-1. I have been very happy with it. The only time I get noise is OD-2 when using over 17 for gain. Otherwise it works great. I generally don't use OD-2 so its not a problem. I would recommend the ISP DEcimator

Mr Hiwatt

Archived