Rolling rack cases - can they handle the weight?

Inazone

• Members

Although I use SKB and comparable rack cases for gigging, my studio rig has been occupying a "barebones" 12U slant rack for the past year. It is just fine for actual studio use, but transporting it is a pain because there are no handles or casters on the rack, and every place I've used it, I've had to go up and down stairs. No fun!

I see that SKB, Gator and other brands offer rolling cases that are still stackable and have normal handles, but I have to wonder how well those little wheels can support the weight of rack units in even a 6U case. Anyone using one of these rolling cases, who can comment on how well they actually work? I want to split the current rig (10U total, with empty slots above two tube units) into two cases.

• Members

Although I use SKB and comparable rack cases for gigging, my studio rig has been occupying a "barebones" 12U slant rack for the past year. It is just fine for actual studio use, but transporting it is a pain because there are no handles or casters on the rack, and every place I've used it, I've had to go up and down stairs. No fun!

I see that SKB, Gator and other brands offer rolling cases that are still stackable and have normal handles, but I have to wonder how well those little wheels can support the weight of rack units in even a 6U case. Anyone using one of these rolling cases, who can comment on how well they actually work? I want to split the current rig (10U total, with empty slots above two tube units) into two cases.

Highly recommend not mounting caster directly to your rack, rather to a dolly, and mount the rack to the dolly, and get GOOD casters. A guy I was touring with had a SKB plastic rack, for his Eden bass gear, and the vibrations from transport in the trailer literally vibrated the metal frame off of the face of the rack... NOT pretty. Protect your investment w/ an ATA rated Shock rack.

• Members

Just like Zachman reports, I have had the aluminum frames which are only crimped onto the plastic shells of SKB's come off, no fun at all. If it is leaving the house and need to be rolled, get a real rack. R&R CASE makes some of the best, they are not cheap, but in comparison, was your gear?

TheGrooveking

Archived