forming a rack --please help and input please

• Members

hi well ok so here it is ive been looking at racks and stuff for a long time and i have done my homework. first of all tone im trying to achieve: the exodus early tone pleasure of the flesh and fabulous disiaster tones but the most important tone is really close to the live sh!t bringe & purge 1989 masster of puppets tone and the solo tone of kirk hammett (check it out on youtube that tone) and my conclusion since i dont have alot of cash but want quality im pretty sure im going to go with mesa/boogie quad preamp. i think the tone i seek is in this $750 magic box (i would like your input on this) i like thrash metal/heavy metal (older stuff) and then its goes to old school classic rock but i'm thrasher for the most part. so here comes the harder part i dont know what power amp i want to go with my guitar teacher says i should go with a solid state for the tone i described to him but i think ill end up disappointed for solid state and i dont have alot of money for it (400) so got to make it count and some of the power amps i have in mind is peavey classic 120/mesa boogie 50/50 (older and thats if i can get a good deal)/mesa boogie stereo simul-class 295 ( same thing gots to have a good deal on it) so this where i stand and another thing is i dont know what mono or stereo really is i do but i dont and it matters what the cabinets are i think ( i got a kustom quad slant 4x12 and its on got 2 plugs in on the back) so some input on that would be nice ya. so thats basically thats it or if you can introduce me to me some quality but 300-400 price range im wanting something around 100w i mean i only play small rigt atm cause i cant find anyone in to oldskooler thrash around my age thank you all so much

• Members

For what you're wanting, a Rocktron Velocity would probably be good, if you don't want to have to worry about reliability, but the down side is (as with most SS amps) it won't be as warm as a good tube power amp.

I personally would snag a used Peavey Classic 50/50 or Classic 60/60. (the 50 has EL84 tubes which are brighter and more punchy, and the 60 has 6L6 tubes which are used by a lot of metal players for their low end, and high head room)

• Members

my personal experience with the older mesa preamps is that they lack a bit of responsiveness to picking. I think i'd go with something higher gained for thrash metal - the Peavey Rock Master, ENGL E530 or perhaps the ADA MP-1. They shouldn't get you anywhere near the $750 mark on eBay - more likely around $200.

As for the power amp, I've got the Mesa/Boogie 50/50, and i love it! -the VHT power amps seem to get pretty much love around here though, and it seems that if you go for one of the pre's i mentioned before, the $$$ you save there would be well spent on a VHT 2502 or 2902.

Just my two cents ;) enjoy the rack stuff pal...

• Members

ya thanks guys, well the thing about the quad preamp isfor some reason im am very drawn towards the boogie its just got this look that i cant resist and i know midi is very awesome but that would mean i would have to buy all this stuff i think. but i greatly appreciate your 2 cents and everybodies but i will take into consideration and power amps that i am taking into consideration are a ada power amp the micro tube 100 or 200 or the velocity cause they seem pretty good for the money and i think i will snatch a ada in the near future cause you said they are pretty cheap for the tone but one thing i noticed bout the quad is it wont go down in price really so if i decided to sell it i could probably get my money back ,but i will give it a shot ill try ada mp 1classic or modded but man this sh!t is great keep it coming

• Members

well the way i look at it is its worth a try for a rack though im just curious on racks cause i always wanted one but i thought they would be to complex and stuff but i jus remembed tax return so theres another 100-300 dollars to come into my hand but if had to go with a solid state i would have to go with

mos-vlave 1160 ? (is that right)

ADA microtube 100 or 200

or rocktron velocity

or other

so basically i can get the tone and come into more money so i can get a nice rack, furman conditioner, rack tuner and other stuff so give me an input on the power amp stuff heard great reviews but the one thats got my most attention is the ADA microtube 200 (hybrid so best of both worlds and loud as {censored} !!! 200w) mos valve 1160 or 982 (great reviews and cheap as hell)

or the rocktron velocity (cheap and quality but not enough vol.)

• Members

Kirk Hammet's solo tone back in 1989 was ADA MP-1 into a VHT 2150. I think his tube screamer was in front as well. He hadn't used Mesa/Boogie for his recorded solo tone since Master of Puppets. His started using all the rack stuff right around Cliff's death. He still may have been using all Mesa even after that but by the 1987 tour with Jason the Mesa was only his rhythm sound and the ADA MP-1 provided all the other tones. He then switched to the CAE 3+ in 1990.

• Members

I have found that I like the sound of my ENGL E530 through my Carvin DCM150. There is an EQ expand switch on the front of the power amp, and I use that to get the mid scooped old school Metallica sound. The only effect that I am using right now is a MXR 10 band EQ in the E530 loop. I really like the E530, and I am going to try a few different power amps, but If you can try an E530 somewhere it has a good variety of sounds, and it is not too expensive. Should be able to find one new for around $500. I got mine for $430 from Music 123 when they had a sale on. I just got it a couple of weeks ago.

Just to let you know if you get an E530 try some differnt tubes. Going from Stock to JJs was night and day.

• Members

If you are playing through an El Diablo and you can't find a good thrash tone, well...I hate to say it, but I don't think you are going to be happy with cheap rack stuff.

Thrash wise, Rocktron stuff was played by the 311 dudes and Mustaine and that's about it, I think. And for my money that's the best "cheap" non-tube rack gear. Most other cheap, non tube rack pre's and power amps will leave you cold. Unless, of course, you stumble on that magic combination...

The Engl 530 has a nice Marshall-y thing tho'.

• Members

well ive decided not go cheap anymore plus cause i got a like $1000 dollars coming threw and im going with the ada mp-1 (stock) now instead of the mesa/boogie quad preamp more versitle and cheaper and all around better so right now for the power amp im thinking mesa/boogie 295 mainly or maybe a vht but i dunno im looking for (stated up above) that kirk hammett lead live 1989 sound i know he used a ada mp-1 (i dont want to copy but barley tweak to make it my tone >:) ) so he pratically ran his signal threw a guitar-tube screamer-wah-ada mp 1-ada mq 1-hush noiser reducer-mesa boogie strategy 400 amp-pa sys. so if i can get that 295 and the ada's and some other nick nacks ill be fine im looking to get really good tube power amp but in a good pric range so i can buy other {censored} too :)

• Members

hmmm i ill have to check it out but im pretty sure it was the 400 but for power amps what would mostly suggest i dont really like metallica later tone i just dont dig the recto tones to messy sounding to me

vht: 2150 2/50/2

mesa:2:95 2:90

marshalls: ???

randalls ????

not looking for a recto sound is the main thing :/

Archived