Under $500 FX unit....recommendations?

• Members

Well, what would you recommend?

The ones I'm looking at are:

Digitech GSP1101

TC G-Major

Rocktron Xpression

I'm leaning towards the Digitech for the Whammy/Detune features, simply because I have a song that REQUIRES these 2 features and no longer have the pedal...

But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

and thoughts on the others as well or other items I'm not looking at.

• Members

Well, what would you recommend?

The ones I'm looking at are:

Digitech GSP1101

TC G-Major

Rocktron Xpression

I'm leaning towards the Digitech for the Whammy/Detune features, simply because I have a song that REQUIRES these 2 features and no longer have the pedal...

But I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it?

and thoughts on the others as well or other items I'm not looking at.

Not so much for whammy effects but:

Rocktron Intellifex

Rocktron Replifex

Rocktron Intelliverb

Yamaha SPX90

Yamaha SPX90II

Yamaha SPX900

TC Electronic G-Major

TC Electronic D2

Lexicon MPX100

• Members

I was looking at the Digi, because I talked to a couple people who had it, said the "amp models" were pretty much worthless, but the FX were really nice, and the cab sims were cool as well, for direct recording with your own pre. SO I thought I'd ask round a bit more, before I commited. Might be worth it to give it a try. I got the manual, I'm gonna read over it, to see if I want it over the G-major or not.

• Members

+1 for the old Rocktron gear.:thu:

Also, (if you can find them) the Digitech TSR-24S and DHP-33/55 are a KILLER pair of processors that'll cover just about everything you'd ever want or need. Both of them should come under your $500 budget with maybe enough left over to get a MIDI foot controller if you don't already have one.

• Members

+1 for the old Rocktron gear.
:thu:

Also, (if you can find them) the Digitech TSR-24S and DHP-33/55 are a KILLER pair of processors that'll cover just about everything you'd ever want or need. Both of them should come under your $500 budget with maybe enough left over to get a MIDI foot controller if you don't already have one.

I have a TSR24S I'm not using anymore.

Scott

• Members

If you're not bothered about amp sims, the DigiTech Quad 4 is fantastic and well worth a look if you can find one. I bought one a few years ago and I can't take it out of my rack because there's so much I like about it. It is a 4 channel jobby but you can put them in virtually any mix you can imagine, you can run 8 x 5 seconds delays simultaneously, it has a very good intelligent harmonizer and pitch shifter and the modulation effects are really lush.

It may not bother you too much at this stage, but it also has the best MIDI controllability out of any rack processor I've owned. Much better than the Eventide DSP4000, and even better than the G-Force (which I used to believe was the ultimate MIDI controllable processor). Everything you can imagine can be controlled by MIDI program or control changes so you could for instance have a single patch for harmony, and use a MIDI foot controller to select the key on the fly. Or the intervals. Or basically anything that you think you may like to change.

Only down side is that it uses a wall wart, but despite that it's still one of the best multi effect processors I've owned and you can pick them up for peanuts.

• Members

Mike,

Go for either the Rocktron Replifex or Rocktron Xpression. For the Whammy/Detune effect, your better off buying the Red Whammy Pedal since it'll be dedicated it for that stuff.

Cheers bro

Hey Juggernaut,

I agree with Duke of Metal about the Rocktron Replifex. I own 3 of these effects unit and I find them to sound good, easy to program, and reliable onstage. You can find them used for $250.00 or less.

Guitar George

• Members

I have the Xpression and run it thru a Duel Rec and it sounds great. It can also be used for bass so some of the presets are spec for that but overall I'm very happy with it clean and full of gain.

My brother runs the G major thru a simlar rig and I like it as just as much. They both do basic effects very well and sound transparent to their amps tone. I went with the Rocktron because it was cheaper and didn't want to sound just like him for the most part.

I wouldn't base your decision on the wammy effect tho, I don't think that it is really it's strong point. And my only complaint on the Xpression is the strobe-like tap tempo LED on the face, but that is easily fixed with some tape.

Archived