Are there any small midi foot controllers?

• Members

Hi,

I'm looking for a small controller, maybe 4 or 5 buttons. I commonly see ones that allow the user to have control over tons of presets. I won't have any presents, and I mainly want something that can turn off and on effects . I'm going for dedicated effects; reverb, delay, maybe a multi-fx later if I need one. I did some reseach and looked up on eBay for reference, but I didn't get very far.

I don't need an LCD display, any bank options, or expression pedal (maybe external). Just a simple, affordable controller (like a channel switcher). So I can turn off and on certain effects.

or

Would using individual foot switches for each effect be easier?

Thanks in advance

• Members

mfc5_lo.jpg

# The MFC5 MIDI Footcontroller is a compact and rugged programmable MIDI footcontroller that is simple to use.

# 82 presets are arranged into 27 banks of 3 presets and 1 global preset which is common to all banks (so you actually have 4 presets per bank).

# Each preset can transmit 8 MIDI Control Change messages on a single MIDI Channel and 2 MIDI Program Change messages on 2 MIDI Channels.

# It is capable of selecting presets on rack effects and controlling 8 loops and/or control functions on most commercial switchers.

# All User Data is stored in Non-Volatile EEPROM memory.

# A large three-character seven-segment display allows for easy viewing of the bank number and editing data on any stage.

# Five long-lasting, heavy-duty Carling stomp switches (the real ones...) offer a positive tactile feel.

# Powered by a 9VAC Adapter (not included) with a 5.5mm/2.1mm barrel connector or through a 5-pin MIDI cable.

# Housed in a compact (7.50"W x 4.75"D x 1.25"FH x 2.00"RH) and rugged 0.094

• Members

Its rack

mfc5_lo.jpg

I've looked into that too. But like the others the price comes from the options that I wouldn't really need.

A couple things I came across are CAE's RS442 II and NoahsArk's?PTBS-1, but the price of these are fairly steep. its what i am looking for though. I also found Tech21's Midi Moose. I don't have experience with Tech21 but it looks promising.

any inputs would be appreciated

• Members

Its rack

I've looked into that too. But like the others the price comes from the options that I wouldn't really need.

A couple things I came across are CAE's RS442 II and NoahsArk's?PTBS-1, but the price of these are fairly steep. its what i am looking for though. I also found Tech21's Midi Moose. I don't have experience with Tech21 but it looks promising.

any inputs would be appreciated

It's rack??? What does that mean?

It's less than $300... That is cost prohibitive?

• Members

It's rack??? What does that mean?

It's less than $300... That is cost prohibitive?

Zach - I think he meant that his effects are in a rack processor rather than being rack mounted pedals. :)

To the OP - To the best of my knowledge, to turn effects on or off requires sending CC messages rather than program changes. As basic pedals tend to only give program change options, you will have to go to the higher spec models to get the CC changes which unfortunately means paying for functionality that you don't need to get that which you do.

If you're on a tight budget I doubt you're going to get anything with a small footprint. The Behringer FCB1010 can do this (and a lot more that you don't need right now), and is cheap, but has a fairly large footprint. The Axess that Zach has highlighted above is probably going to be as small as anything else out there.

Good luck with it whatever route you go. :thu:

• Members

Zach - I think he meant that his effects are in a rack processor rather than being rack mounted pedals.
:)

To the OP - To the best of my knowledge, to turn effects on or off requires sending CC messages rather than program changes. As basic pedals tend to only give program change options, you will have to go to the higher spec models to get the CC changes which unfortunately means paying for functionality that you don't need to get that which you do.

If you're on a tight budget I doubt you're going to get anything with a small footprint. The Behringer FCB1010 can do this (and a lot more that you don't need right now), and is cheap, but has a fairly large footprint. The Axess that Zach has highlighted above is probably going to be as small as anything else out there.

Good luck with it whatever route you go.
:thu:

Thanks... The Axess sends CC and PC messages, and he probably doesn't realize that it doesn't matter that he's using rack effects, and that MIDI is MIDI.

# Each preset can transmit 8 MIDI Control Change messages on a single MIDI Channel and 2 MIDI Program Change messages on 2 MIDI Channels.

# It is capable of selecting presets on rack effects and controlling 8 loops and/or control functions on most commercial switchers.

• Members

The Behringer is cheap but big. You can have it perform better by using an cheap alternative EEPROM, check here: http://www.ossandust.be/index.php.

TC Electronic G-Minor and Tech21 Midi Mouse are small, but for more than 2 switches you have to scroll. And the Tech21 only does Program Changes, no CC's.

Axess MFC-5 is small and superb, but you have to pay the price. Support form Mario at Axess is excellent, highly recommended!

Nice and small, and 10 presets with Up/Down: Rolls RFC MidiBuddy. Only does Program Changes though.

Big and pricier: Rocktron All Access, Rocktron Midi Mate, Axess FX1, Voodoo Ground Control.

For my own purposes I'm looking into the Gordius Little Giant, as shown in previous posts. www.gordius.be. It may replace my Rocktron All Axess because it's developing into the ultimate MIDI controller, fully and freely customizable! And great support from the designer.

• Members

Switching effects on and off is best done using MIDI CC's indeed.

Nevertheless, the same result can be obtained (in a way) by defining multiple presets:

- main preset without fx

- preset with chorus

- preset with delay

- preset with chorus and delay

- etc.

In that case a small cheap controller that does Program Changes only would suffice.

Archived