Switching/Routing basics

• Members

I'm at the point where I am in need of getting some switching going to intergrate my amps and gear, the A/B switches lying around are getting to be too great in number.

I am looking at a number of products but frankly have no idea what I'm looking at most of the time and how it works together. I have some stuff on Jerry McPherson's rig with a soundsculpture, which looks amazing, but I don't think I understand 1/10th of if.

I have been trolling the web for some articles on what the different things do but haven't found anything that is beginner level. If anyone has any links or articles, if you wouldn't mind passing them along. Thanks.

• Members

I'm at the point where I am in need of getting some switching going to intergrate my amps and gear, the A/B switches lying around are getting to be too great in number.

I am looking at a number of products but frankly have no idea what I'm looking at most of the time and how it works together. I have some stuff on Jerry McPherson's rig with a soundsculpture, which looks amazing, but I don't think I understand 1/10th of if.

I have been trolling the web for some articles on what the different things do but haven't found anything that is beginner level. If anyone has any links or articles, if you wouldn't mind passing them along. Thanks.

well - people tend to use the voodoo lab gcx quite alot around here. It's just like having 8 effects loops in serial connection, so that you can switch in/out pedals, preamps, effects processors etc. of your chain. There are a few other manufacturers who produce something similar ( or did ;) ) but to my knowledge none in the same 'available' price range.

the switchblade is like the ultimate switching matrix. It'll let you switch gear in/out of the chain as well as it'll let you choose the position of each piece of gear in the chain - kind'a like the effects matrix on the g-force, if you're familiar with that one ;)

• Members

The soundsculpture is amazing, and it's very simple to use. There are GUI editors for the mac and PC which make it even easier.

I have a GL and I love it. I used to have a GRX4 which was also nice, but limited with just 2 busses and 4 loops to choose from.

The better question is, "what do you want to accomplish?"

-W

• Members

The RJM Music RG-16 is similarly priced to the GCX, but with a few more interesting features, and allegedly better audio quality. I've not a/b'd them personally as neither are readily available in the UK - I went for the RG-16 option because it has the facility to easily switch channels on my Peavey JSX as well as doing loops etc. Basically, the first four loops are in series, so you plug your pedals into them, then the second four loops are independent, so you can connect whatever you want to them, and use them for switching, selecting amps, etc. There's also a nice quality buffer going on, and it's not restricted in terms of MIDI channels like the GCX is... plus it has internal memory so you can use a more basic (and cheaper!) MIDI controller to drive it!

I've exchanged emails with Ron Manelli, the guy who runs RJM Music, and he said they're looking into making an expander for the RG-16 with more loops, but without the amp switching facilities. I'll be one of the first to order it if it comes about!

• Members

Am I right to think that the GCX and RG-16 both work off MIDI CC messages rather than Program Change? I was also thinking about getting a switcher, but I really want it to be driven by MIDI Program Changes so I can switch effects in and out with my pre-amp patches.

• Members

I had a look at the manual for the GCX, which is why I asked the question. It says (in the section 'Using the GCX Without a Ground Control'):

"It is possible to control the GCX from other devices like MIDI sequencers, some MIDI footpedals, or any device capable of transmitting MIDI Control Change messages.

The GCX responds to MIDI Control Change messages sent on channel 16 only."

This is followed by a list of controllers for each of the loops. How do you set it to respond to Program Changes?

• Members

Go here and read EVERYTHING... You'll understand more and more the more you read what is there. I have read this stuff at least 50 times and have learned more each time, as my focus has become more precise upon each reading.

http://www.customaudioelectronics.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm

You can also go to my website in my sig and click on the FAQ page and there is tons of stuff there dealing with everything from A-Z

• Members
Go here and read EVERYTHING... You'll understand more and more the more you read what is there. I have read this stuff at least 50 times and have learned more each time, as my focus has become more precise upon each reading.

You can also go to my website in my sig and click on the FAQ page and there is tons of stuff there dealing with everything from A-Z

Thanks once again, Zach. What do you think of Arnel Pineda, the new Journey singer? I think he's fantastic.

• Members

well - people tend to use the voodoo lab gcx quite alot around here. It's just like having 8 effects loops in serial connection, so that you can switch in/out pedals, preamps, effects processors etc.

FWIW, the GCX units can be patched in any configuration. You have to physically link one loop to the next to get loops in series.

I bought two GCX units, and I was going to have a hell of a time switching my Road King II head (which has still not arrived). The RK II has 9 switchable functions. I could use a full GCX +1 simply on switching the head. Only leaving 7 loops. I contemplated getting a 3rd GCX but thought I'd wait it out.

Then I ran across the RJM Music RG-16 and nearly {censored} myself. It's a bit more expensive (a couple hundred IIRC), but it does 8 FX (4 in series and 4 independent like stated earlier) and it also does 8 amp functions. So I can use one special cable to control 8 of the 9 functions of my amp.

So now I've got 3 audio switchers and 24 loops. AH! I may end up getting rid of the extra GCX if I find I don't need it.

The Sound Sculpture unit is more powerful than both, however. There's switching (which the GCX and RG-16 do) but I believe the Sound Sculpture units are capable of having the line level boosted or cut, so you can do MIDI controlled stereo panning and volume control. It's pretty expensive though.

• Members

Thanks once again, Zach. What do you think of Arnel Pineda, the new Journey singer? I think he's fantastic.

I think he is lucky enough to be playing with one of my favorite bands. The guy is living the dream, but having to fill Perry's shoes isn't something that I envy, that's for sure. I think he's doing a good job and will likely get better and better as he "learns the ropes". I wish him all the best. :thu:

Archived