• Members

Here's a plan for my future 6U rack:

Furman PM-8E II

Dunlop DCR-2SR

TC Electronic G-Major

Mesa Triaxis

|Mesa 2:90|

||||||||||||

So there would be no empty spaces in that rack. I thought about buying a 8U rack for possible new units but then I started thinking about the weight and size. I think I'd go with a shockmount rack... G-Major will probably end up for sale and a G-Force would replace it.

Suggestions?

• Members

Buy once. If you plan to upgrade to a G-Force but can't afford it save until you can. Even if you buy a G-Major used you'll lose money selling it on at least shipping if not a impending decrease in value like all technology.

G-Force has a wah, just not sure how good it is.

• Members

Will the G-System also control your Triaxis? If so...It would seem that it's viable option. Otherwise I'd hate having 2 controllers on the floor. (sorry don't know anything about the g-system)

Rack wah for teh failure.

What's wrong with having a rack wah? :confused:

• Members

Buy once. If you plan to upgrade to a G-Force but can't afford it save until you can. Even if you buy a G-Major used you'll lose money selling it on at least shipping if not a impending decrease in value like all technology.

G-Force has a wah, just not sure how good it is.

I should've told which units I already own in case someone didn't see it from my sig. I own a G-Major already but I thought I might sell it and get a G-Force because it should have great pitch shifting etc.

• Members

Will the G-System also control your Triaxis? If so...It would seem that it's viable option. Otherwise I'd hate having 2 controllers on the floor. (sorry don't know anything about the g-system)

It's basically a footswitch/midiboard and a FX-unit with Gmajor- level FX quality and few extra functions in one package. Althought the "processor" can be mounted in rack too.

TCE G-System info

• Members

No rack is ever "final" that's the curse of modular systems, you can always swap out individual parts!!

The "buy once, buy right" method is good in theory, but at the same time, unless you have on-hand access to spend a good deal of time with each competing unit before you buy, it's difficult to say that you won't run into something better/different that you want to add or substitute into your rack at a later time.

Either way, have fun with putting it all together!

• Members

There's not a reason why you couldn't use all the effects processors you have instead of trying to get all your sounds out of one.

All high end effects processors sound good but you can't say they all sound the same.

Preamp/Poweramp you can change at anytime but people are fools to sell preamps they quit using because who knows when they'll want to use it again.

I quit using my Studio Pre for 2 years because it didn't fit in the context of the band I was in. I almost sold it on two occasions. I got sick of my marshall's one trick and the multitude or gear i needed to get by so I'm switch between the studio pre (clean/lead) and the Marshall (rhythm). Not only that I'm switching back to Boogies (a Mark III is what I'm drooling for) because rhythm 2 is a perfectly usable rhythm sound for me It'll just need the volume mod (sounds like 2112 in a box, similar to my Marshall as well)

Don't bother with a rack wah, just use a pedal. The rack wah doesn't have much of an advantage over a good quality wah (not a dunlop, vox, etc). You can shape the sound better but is it worth the extra cost? I think it's better to spend half of that or less on the right pedal rather than spending so much on an inferior product. I tried it and thought the 535Q sounded better but I don't muck like Crybabys. I'll personally plug the Keeley mod wahs but there are others out there.

• Members

Yeah, I have an 8 space rack that I'm only using four spaces of at the moment, but I know I'm going to end up expanding it sooner or later (indeed, I've got my ideas on sooner!). All else fails, put in a little drawer and it'll give you somewhere to bung cables and spare picks etc.

The signal loss you get going to any decent wah through decent cables is pretty miniscule, so I'd not worry too much about that... if the rack wahs were sensibly priced, then they might be worth a look at, but they're not. That said, if I could work out how to gut my Bad Horsie and mount the innards in my rack case somewhere, I'd probably do it!

• Members

Go for 8 spaces at least.

Empty spaces don't weigh anything.
:)

My smallest rack is 8 spaces and its about perfect for a small rig.

I use 2x 4u cases. That way I can have a preamp/effects rack & a power amp rack. I have to carry all my equipment my self, up & down stairs, so some times having a split rack makes life much easier.

Plus, molded cabinets stack quite nicely!

Advice once given to me: never throw out or sell old rack cases, spare cases are always great for storing winter clothes!

• Members

Yep, extra spaces don't weight that much but the rack becomes bigger and clumsier. I don't wanna screw my car's rear bumper.:D My original plan was to buy a 8U rack and left empty space for a rack tuner, wireless unit or for possible rack drawer as someone suggested already!:)

• Members

The signal loss you get going to any decent wah through decent cables is pretty miniscule, so I'd not worry too much about that... if the rack wahs were sensibly priced, then they might be worth a look at, but they're not. That said, if I could work out how to gut my Bad Horsie and mount the innards in my rack case somewhere, I'd probably do it!

The DCR-2SR is definitely not priced sensibly. That said, it's versatile as hell as a result. You can get a ton of different wah tones out of it, as well as a boost and a 6 band EQ if you need it.

Archived