LA Sound Design Rack

• Members

That's pretty cool. Great workmanship.

My two points of critisism are the power amp (seriously, wtf), and the tuner. I don't mind that tuner, but it is a tone sucker and it's the first thing in the signal chain with no bypass.

Other then that it looks good.

-W

• Members

Hey Zach...

Are those Boss volume pedals better than the Ernie Ball ones? I've got an Ernie Ball but wouldn't mind getting the Boss when I get another one.

Well there isn't just a string to get them to work, and they are more solidly made, and they do seem to work very nicely. I prefer them.

• Members

That's pretty cool. Great workmanship.

My two points of critisism are the power amp (seriously, wtf), and the tuner. I don't mind that tuner, but it is a tone sucker and it's the first thing in the signal chain with no bypass.

Other then that it looks good.

-W

The H&H V800 Power Amp is an old favorite of Van Halen, Michael Landau, Steve Lukather, Andy Summers etc...

The tuner didn't seem to hurt the tone at all, IMO, BUT... I prefer to not have tuners in the signal path either. ;)

• Members

Nice!!!!

Hey Zack you still with the Pirahna Brothers? The bassist in my band mentioned them and I told him I know someone in that band.

Regardless, I'm sure you are in a band of some kind. Let me know because we've been wanting to check out a classic rock band. We are still practicing trying to build up our songs, etc. and eventually will get off our ass and do some gigs. :)

• Members

Nice!!!!

Hey Zack you still with the Pirahna Brothers? The bassist in my band mentioned them and I told him I know someone in that band.

Regardless, I'm sure you are in a band of some kind. Let me know because we've been wanting to check out a classic rock band. We are still practicing trying to build up our songs, etc. and eventually will get off our ass and do some gigs.
:)

;) PM sent

• Members

The H&H V800 Power Amp is an old favorite of Van Halen, Michael Landau, Steve Lukather, Andy Summers etc...

The tuner didn't seem to hurt the tone at all, IMO,

How can you tell, he doesn't play with and without it?

• Members

Maybe he had the tuner modded for true-bypass. I like having a tuner at my feet too, usually a strobostomp.

The FV500s are awesome. I have a pair, but unfortunatly they don't work well with the FX1. I had to find some FV300s (which aren't made anymore) which work great but aren't as durable.

-W

• Members

That's sick. There really is an art to assembling those rigs. Just as much as playing methinks.

Most definitely a Science and an Art assembling rigs. Martin (The guy who wires up the rigs at LA Sound Design) was Bob Bradshaw's right hand man for many years, and is now working w/ Dave at LA Sound Design. He does amazing work.

• Members

Maybe he had the tuner modded for true-bypass. I like having a tuner at my feet too, usually a strobostomp.

The FV500s are awesome. I have a pair, but unfortunatly they don't work well with the FX1. I had to find some FV300s (which aren't made anymore) which work great but aren't as durable.

-W

When I asked Dave about it, he didn't mention anything about modding the pedal to be TB.

Interesting re: the FX1 and the FV500's... What was the issue? I ask because I was thinking about getting an FX1 eventually.

I use 2 FV500H's (pre and post Volume pedals) and an FV500L (CC Controller) for the Eventide, w/ the RS10 Double expanded and love these things. I Love the RS10 but would like to have an FX1's features

• Members

When I asked Dave about it, he didn't mention anything about modding the pedal to be TB.

Interesting re: the FX1 and the FV500's... What was the issue? I ask because I was thinking about getting an FX1 eventually.

I use 2 FV500H's (pre and post Volume pedals) and an FV500L (CC Controller) for the Eventide, w/ the RS10 Double expanded and love these things. I Love the RS10 but would like to have an FX1's features

The taper is different in the FV500's. They seem to calibrate fine on the FX1, but I can never get a smooth transition with my axe-FX. Using the FV300s, everything works fine. I'm not certain if it's a FX1 thing or an axe-FX thing to be honest. The FV500's aren't listed as a recommended pedal on the Axxess site. I've heard a few others with the same experience on the axe-fx forums.

One point is that I am using FV500H's and FV300L's. That could be it, but I didn't want to waste money so I bought the 300's knowing it was a sure thing.

The FV500's are getting use on my regular stompbox pedalboard as a controller for my timefactor and a volume pedal, so all is not lost.

-W

• Members

I have the problem with my FV500H where it doesn't work properly with my All Access when connected via the Expression jack on the pedal (never goes below about 40, and there's no calibrate routine on the All Access for some bizarre and unknown reason) but it works fine if I connect a Y cable to the input and output jacks instead. The taper does seem to be a little odd, but I've gotten used to it.

• Members

I have the problem with my FV500H where it doesn't work properly with my All Access when connected via the Expression jack on the pedal (never goes below about 40, and there's no calibrate routine on the All Access for some bizarre and unknown reason) but it works fine if I connect a Y cable to the input and output jacks instead. The taper does seem to be a little odd, but I've gotten used to it.

Yeah, the FV500H have a very short range using the expression jack. The y cable works fine on the FX1, it goes from 0-127 when it's calibrated, but it still has 80% of the "throw" in the last half of the pedal movement.

-W

• Members

Zach,

If you're interested in the FX1, you might want to wait. There is a guy on the Axe-FX controllers about to manufacture a new midi controller. It's designed with the Axe-FX in mind, but it should be compatible with everything. From what I've read so far, it has more features and more IA switches then the FX1, and it should be slightly less expensive.

This is nothing against Mario, he makes great products, but progress is progress.

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?mforum=axefx&t=3694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=axefx

-W

• Members

Zach,

If you're interested in the FX1, you might want to wait. There is a guy on the Axe-FX controllers about to manufacture a new midi controller. It's designed with the Axe-FX in mind, but it should be compatible with everything. From what I've read so far, it has more features and more IA switches then the FX1, and it should be slightly less expensive.

This is nothing against Mario, he makes great products, but progress is progress.

Here's a link to the thread:

http://www.setbb.com/axefx/viewtopic.php?mforum=axefx&t=3694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&mforum=axefx

-W

GOOD Call... Thanks :thu:

Archived