This is someone else's post, but I need this question answered too. :wave:

I've had the GCX for a couple of years and never got alot of

use out of it, but can someone here answer a question about the

GCX unit itself- Can another MIDI controller be used with the GCX

other than the GROUND CONTROL PRO to access the loops and

program which loops you want on or off on a certain preset? If

someone out there has one and can give me some info, lemme

know.........

I don't have the GCX yet. Not sure what this guy is using for a foot controller, but I have a Roland FC-200.

From Voodoo:

The MIDI controllers which can successfully switch any or all the loops of the GCX at the same time in order to activate different combinations of loops are: Ground Control, Ground Control Pro, Custom Audio Electronics (Bradshaw) RS-10, Rocktron All-Access, and Lexicon MPX-R1.

It is also possible to control the loops of the GCX one at a time, from other devices like MIDI sequencers, some MIDI foot controllers, or any device transmitting MIDI Control Change messages. The GCX responds to MIDI Control Change messages sent on channel 16 only.

I am not familiar with the specifications of the Roland FC-200. If it can send MIDI Control Change messages 80-87 on MIDI channel 16 then it would be compatible with our GCX.

:confused::mad::confused::mad::confused::mad:Ugh...

Not exactly sure what this means. It sorta says yes and sorta says no to me. If yes, again... HOW?????????? :poke:

• Members

As I understand it...

The GCX is a bit weird about program changes. It would make sense that anything that sent program changes would allow you to switch the GCX in any combination. If it only does CC messages then you can only turn individual loops on and off, but that should work the same way... I think this becomes an issue when you want to send a program change to your FX unit, and for instance at the same time turn loops 2, 5, and 6 on while turning loops 1 and 3 off, and leaving loops 4, 7, and 8 off. I believe you have to send a CC message that does the loops unless you have the appropriate controller.

I could be wrong here, so don't anyone come in here and kick me in the nuts. :cop:

I opted for the Axess Electronics unit as it doesn't care. You simply pick a program, and then toggle the little button on the GRX4 to the setting you want and hit store.

• Members

I tried to use a Rocktron All Access with the GCX units and found it very limiting. I think the All Access only sends 5CC messages per preset. So, I can't even switch one full GCX with a preset and you have to specifically turn OFF the loops you don't want on with the next preset.

I replaced them with two RJM Music RG-16 switchers which store their own information. Programming them is far far easier.

• Members

Sounds like the ease of use with the GCX comes at the cost of antoher $400 for the Ground Control Pro.

I was rerally hoping to save the extra 4 bills and use the Roland FC-200 that I have. I keep believing it's possible, but I have no actual confirmation by way of a plan of implementation.

• Members

If you want to stick with your Roland you'd have to use something like a RJM switcher rather than the GCX. The axess electronics GRX-4 and CFX-4 are just short of being as flexible and with it being modular you won't have more than you need.

Both of these operate on program changes rather than control changes. It works by you creating and saving configurations on the device as programs.

• Members

If you want to stick with your Roland you'd have to use something like a RJM switcher rather than the GCX. The axess electronics GRX-4 and CFX-4 are just short of being as flexible and with it being modular you won't have more than you need.

Both of these operate on program changes rather than control changes. It works by you creating and saving configurations on the device as programs.

Will the RJM do A/B/Y for two or multiple amps? MSRP is almost as much as a GCX & Ground Control Pro...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Ah, so my idea of using the FCB1010 to control the GCX is somewhat out of the window...

There is a table of compatability out there somewhere. I think the Behringer may actually do more simultanieous CC commands than the Roland.

If I can find the chart, I'll post it.

Archived