Shock Mount Rack Cases: Recommendations?

• Members

So I need a 12 space shock mount rack case w/casters for the new rack that I'm building, but I have no clue which one to buy. I see all the custom made ones from various places that are like $500 - $700 not including shipping, but is there anything that someone would recommend that is more affordable and still does the job well? I found these couple on E-Bay:

OSP Cases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-SHOCK-MOUNT-AMP-RACK-CASE-w-4-Casters-12-Space_W0QQitemZ250247231510QQihZ015QQcategoryZ47094QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DJK Cases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12-Space-Shock-Mount-AMP-Rack-Case-DJK-12UADS18C_W0QQitemZ190222114754QQihZ009QQcategoryZ23789QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Those seem to be the ones I see the most on E-Bay. Either of those any good, or any different brand you would recommend?

• Members

So I need a 12 space shock mount rack case w/casters for the new rack that I'm building, but I have no clue which one to buy. I see all the custom made ones from various places that are like $500 - $700 not including shipping, but is there anything that someone would recommend that is more affordable and still does the job well? I found these couple on E-Bay:

OSP Cases:

DJK Cases:

Those seem to be the ones I see the most on E-Bay. Either of those any good, or any different brand you would recommend?

The OSP's are nice and built well. That's a fair price too.

The DJK looks nice too.

Either one would be a decent choice.

• Members

djk is a killer bang for the buck. very, very solid, well-built and nicely finished, but heavy as {censored}...

I'm going to be trying my rack in two smaller cases to get away from the bulk and heft of the huge-ness (14 space, 12 full with drawer holding controler, cables, wah, etc.); we'll see how it goes, I like the secure feeling I get with shock-mount protection and the recessed mounting, but I hate dragging the thing around...didn't think it would be a big deal with casters (which are super-solid on the djk), but man, stairs, loading and trying to find space to set up are all just a downer...just some thoughts

• Members

djk is a killer bang for the buck. very, very solid, well-built and nicely finished, but heavy as {censored}...

I'm going to be trying my rack in two smaller cases to get away from the bulk and heft of the huge-ness (14 space, 12 full with drawer holding controler, cables, wah, etc.); we'll see how it goes, I like the secure feeling I get with shock-mount protection and the recessed mounting, but I hate dragging the thing around...didn't think it would be a big deal with casters (which are super-solid on the djk), but man, stairs, loading and trying to find space to set up are all just a downer...just some thoughts

What are you going to use for an interface between the two racks?

I was considering doing 2 racks as well, but logistics made the current big rig a faster setup time with one rack as opposed to having to connect 2. ;)

What components are you running???

• Members

I went with an OSP case. Should be here Tuesday, so we'll see how it goes. I assume one rack will do me fine. I'm thinking of picking up some low to mid range gear for a small, more portable 4-6 space rack to carry around back and forth to jam, home, etc. I'll leave my main rig at practice and when it needs moved, I have bandmates that can suck it up and help lug it around... :lol:

• Members

I have DKJ 12 space shockmount case...It's very well built and endures the riggors of being in my bedroom on a daily basis! :cop::lol:

Just kidding...It's solid dude :thu:

And it's damn heavy! I'm working on getting a backup rig for my home jamming and leave this my main rig at our jam spot.

• Members

i went with the 16-space osp from a seller on ebay called guitaraudio. it had the cheapest prices on osp when factoring in shipping. they also sell the normal depth cases for the same price as the shallow effects depth ones.

osp's are dropped shipped from their factory/warehouse in arkansas, so shipping is a moot point for most ebay sellers.

• Members

i went with the 16-space osp from a seller on ebay called guitaraudio. it had the cheapest prices on osp when factoring in shipping. they also sell the normal depth cases for the same price as the shallow effects depth ones.

osp's are dropped shipped from their factory/warehouse in arkansas, so shipping is a moot point for most ebay sellers.

Did you order the shallow depth case?

• Members

Don't mean to Hijack but i've been looking into the same cases. i'm undecided on if i should get a 10 space or 12. This is so far what would be in my rack. Dual recto rackmount, Tuner, wireless, Furman PQ4, Rocktron guitar silencer, Furman power. if you were in my shoes, what would you get?

• Members

Don't mean to Hijack but i've been looking into the same cases. i'm undecided on if i should get a 10 space or 12. This is so far what would be in my rack. Dual recto rackmount, Tuner, wireless, Furman PQ4, Rocktron guitar silencer, Furman power. if you were in my shoes, what would you get?

12 space, because it's ALWAYS prudent to plan for future growth. Having to redo all your cabling etc... and change out to get a bigger rack later is LAME. :thu:

• Members

12 space, because it's ALWAYS prudent to plan for future growth. Having to redo all your cabling etc... and change out to get a bigger rack later is LAME.
:thu:

Thanks Zachman, that's what is was thinking. a simple just in case situation.

• Members

Sent ya a PM, got an 18-space RR case with casters that you can have CHEAP!!! We're local so no shipping. :thu:

• Members

Agreed with getting a little extra room to grow if needed. Besides, it's not like you were choosing between a 10 and 20 space rack. It's just 2 extra spaces, so why not spend a few more bucks and deal with a few more pounds to have a little extra room so you don't have to worry about running out of space later?

BTW - My OSP case should be here today. It was "supposed" to be here yesterday, but the lovely folks at Fed Ex decided at the last minute (3:43 PM) to slap a shipping restriction on it for some reason. Now it's out for delivery today.

• Members

What are you going to use for an interface between the two racks?

I was considering doing 2 racks as well, but logistics made the current big rig a faster setup time with one rack as opposed to having to connect 2.
;)

What components are you running???

the rig is pretty simple, just power conditioner, tuner, pre, effects, power amp and a drawer to stash my controller, etc. I really like the convenience of having the rig all wired up and ready to go with everything I need in the drawer and my guitar case...just show up, open the case, plug in my controller, wah and speakers, add power and I'm done.

the idea with two cases would be to separate the power amp, so not a huge pain for setup, but with the cases I have now, I will have to move my preamp into the power section to make room for a midi switcher if I decide to use one for my new rig that's on the way. with this plan, I'll have an effects rack with my drawer and two different amps to choose from, essentially turning my marshall jmp1/9200 into a head and running a rackmount recto as my second rig. this way, I'll have more hassle wiring and setting up, but far better portability and the option to mix and match or simply just grab a 4 space box and run with it as a dry rig when I don't want to haul much around...I might even look for a 2x12 to go with. :blah:

Archived