Nudie Magazine day!!! jk... NAD!!!

• Members

My congrats (and sympathies).

I had a love/hate relationship with my Strategy 500. It sounded beautiful... By far, the best tube amp that has ever graced my ears.

However, it was a backbreaking beast! It is NOT the most portable of amplifiers if you're stuck carrying your equipment by yourself.

I would HIGHLY recommend giving the Strategy its own 3-4u SKB rack case instead of racking it with other gear because of the weight. Besides, that'll ensure you don't have other units directly above, which'll give you some ventilation space for those 16 glorious glowing chunks of glass!

BTW, what's the tube compliment you've got in it? I had some GE 6550A tubes in the middle with Philips 6L6WGB tubes on the outside (for lower power/higher saturation), great combo!

• Members

haha thanks dudes.

Right now it has all mesa tubes in it. And it will probably stay that way until I can afford to buy new ones. Not to mention the new cabs I need to buy to run 8 ohms.

I see me selling off some prized vintage pieces soon to afford them. I wish reeves amps took trade ins!

• Members

haha thanks dudes.

Right now it has all mesa tubes in it. And it will probably stay that way until I can afford to buy new ones. Not to mention the new cabs I need to buy to run 8 ohms.

I see me selling off some prized vintage pieces soon to afford them. I wish reeves amps took trade ins!

Do yourself a favor and download the manual off of mesa's website:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Strategy%20500%20Stereo.pdf

The Strategy 500 can actually run 16, 8, 4, or 2 ohm loads...

The 2 ohm leads are brown wires tied off inside the chassis.

To run a 16 ohm cab, plug into the 8 ohm output.

• Members

Well, I read the manual... Not much there about a 16 ohm load... Is there an alternate source of info? Or should I call Mesa?

I believe that what I said concerning a 16 ohm load is in the manual for the 2:ninety, actually. However, that also works with the Strategy--running a 16 ohm load on the 8 ohm output that is. Where people get into trouble is when they try to run a lower impedance speaker cab out of an output, i.e. running a 4 ohm cab off an 8 ohm output.

• Members

Thank you for all the congrats!

El Grinder. If I hook it up like that, it will work, but it will be significantly quieter. I already have a bunch of hundred watt heads. I wanna kill some children with this thing!

• Members

Thank you for all the congrats!

El Grinder. If I hook it up like that, it will work, but it will be significantly quieter. I already have a bunch of hundred watt heads. I wanna kill some children with this thing!

Then a couple of 8 ohm cabinets are the way to go! :thu:

I used mine through a Celestion G12H-80 loaded 4x12, but had to keep the total power just shy of the 200 watts per side... Granted, Celestions are rather conservatively rated, so I never did damage the speakers, even pushing more than the 320 watts total rated power for the cabinet. I did occasionally run one side through the cab and ran it to peak power... Gloriously loud...and it stayed tight throughout the range.

You can definitely kill some children, small animals, and sterilize most surfaces and people with that thing.

Archived