Help me integrate Rockman tone in my rack

• Members

So, I currently plan on my rack to be parallel FX based. I'll have the following tools to direct the signal:

-A Rocktron Rack Interface, which will be used as a 2in/6out splitter (for the stereo, 2amps-at-once signal coming out of my vetta head) and as a stereo line mixer.

-A Rocktron Patchmate to mute the inputs to the FX (split signal connects to IN, exits on SEND to FX, FX outs to mixer, mixer outs to power amp or Vetta head)

I hope the signal path is clear so far. :cop:

What I want to do now is integrate a rockman XPR preamp into all this. It has one input and stereo outs. Ideally, i'd like to choose either the Vetta or the XPR as a source, so that either can be routed thru any FX i choose - I have dreams of using the Rockman clean tone with the "Flesh for Fantasy" Eventide preset :love: - So far all I see is a way to use the XPR as an FX unit, routed in the patchmate but it won't allow me to use it with the FX units.

So I'm calling on your help, please give me some ideas :idea:

Will i need another splitter before either amp/preamp? Can I still use the patchmate to route this? Ideally all of this is to be MIDI controlled, i'd like to avoid a tap dance. :blah:

If you need more info please ask :thu:

Thanks all

Manu

• Members

I think I found a solution to my own problem...Here it goes , for those interested:

Tis is sort of a primitive amp selector. Guitar goes to the IN of a Patchmate loop, OUT goes to the Vetta head IN, SEND goes to the XPR IN. Thus I can select which preamp I'll use by switching the loop in or out. Vetta and XPR OUTS go to submixer 1 on the rack interface. Mix1 OUT goes to splitter ,which begins the system I described above. Sub mixer 2 mixes the FX. This system limits me to 4 stereo inputs in the submixer2, unfortunately, so I'll have to chain some of my FX in series...

• Members

I think I found a solution to my own problem...Here it goes , for those interested:

Tis is sort of a primitive amp selector. Guitar goes to the IN of a Patchmate loop, OUT goes to the Vetta head IN, SEND goes to the XPR IN. Thus I can select which preamp I'll use by switching the loop in or out. Vetta and XPR OUTS go to submixer 1 on the rack interface. Mix1 OUT goes to splitter ,which begins the system I described above. Sub mixer 2 mixes the FX. This system limits me to 4 stereo inputs in the submixer2, unfortunately, so I'll have to chain some of my FX in series...

Hopefully either of these will provide some ideas for possible solutions:

CAElinemixerschematic.jpg

zachschematic.jpg

Manu,

How many loops you actually need for your setup, is the 1st step. Then figuring out which devices are to go in front of the amp and which others you want to be parallel through the stereo portion of the rig.

My old rig was 2 rane sm26 splitter mixers-- the 1st mixer took my amp signal and split it our 6 ways to feed the inputs of my fx gear. (I didn't use multiple amps or have a switching system then. I used a TC Electronic 2290 as the controller for the rig.) The outputs of my fx went into the 2nd mixers inputs panned L/R and the L/R outputs fed the stereo power amp.

The large block diagram above is of the current rig I use, and the smaller one is a block diagram that was included with my CAE Custom Mixer, as an example of a typical scenario. I hope you find it useful.

You may get some ideas from watching/listening to Bob Bradshaw describing what is going on with my rig and more importantly (WHY)-- In this video:

[YOUTUBE]CdHwhMzJbeo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yup Zach, your rig schematics was an inspiration !
:)

Wow, thanks... I was just shooting for having it spark a few ideas as far as what can go where, and how... (ex. pedals in front of amps, mix 1 (w/ 2 devices in parallel+ dry signal) into mix 2 (w/ 2 devices in parallel+ dry signal)

• Members

Yeah, I believe your schematics and Bob explaining it all and demonstrating how diverse it can sound really highlights the power of racks. I once had over 30 units of rack units, and now i'll be soon back to about 12, but still a nice rack I think.

Oh, and I found a system to free up submixer 2 in my rack interface, using various adapters...no limits !!!! :)

• Members

Yeah, I believe your schematics and Bob explaining it all and demonstrating how diverse it can sound really highlights the power of racks. I once had over 30 units of rack units, and now i'll be soon back to about 12, but still a nice rack I think.

Oh, and I found a system to free up submixer 2 in my rack interface, using various adapters...no limits !!!!
:)

WOW 30 units. :eek:

Best of luck! :thu: I look forward to seeing your baby when it's done.

Archived