AXE FX owners.

• Members

First it sounds like these kick ass over any other modeler out there.

Do you feel that way?

And for setup.

What are you running yours through for live applications?

Guitar rig.

Direct to PA.

SS Power amp through PA cabs.

Keyboard amps.

Basically which way have you had the best results?

i'm intersted in learning more about Axe FX.

• Members

I don't play live but the Axe-Fx is insanely good! The thing is getting better all the time too. Fractal Owner, Cliff Chase, just redid 2 full banks of factory presets that I here are incredible. I haven't had a chance to load them into my Axe and try them though. Cliff is constantly striving to make his product even better! He is a regular on the Axe-Fx message board to answer questions and take product suggestions. He often gets accused of not sleeping because updates and improvements are so frequent. I was ready to spend $2000 on an Engl Powerball before I stumbled across the Axe and I couldn't be more happy with the purchase. The Axe seems expensive as Hell compared to other "modelers" but it is actually a steal. It really feels and responds like a real amp! At ANY volume! Throw in the fact that it has Eventide quality effects and it's really a no brainer.

I play mine through a Tech-21 Power Engine with great results. I also purchased a Rocktron Velocity 250 to power my pair of ADA 2x12's but I haven't even tried them out yet because I have a baby in my small house and I'm so satisfied with the Axe going through the PE. I haven't had the Axe for a week or two either. I've had it for 4 or 5 months. If I had the cash I would like to try the Axe through the QSC Hpr121 like many users have but for my purposes and budget the PE works great.

When you consider that "Boutique" heads can cost $4000 or more with just a few sounds with no effects. The Axe-Fx to me was the way to go. It's literally too good to be true but it really is that good! :lol:

• Members

My live rig

Axe-FX Ultra

ADA MP-1 Mod4MkII

Mesa 2:90

While the amp sims in the Axe-FX are excellent, my tone was always based on the MP-1/2:90 combo so it was easy to switch over. One of these days I'll dig into the amp sims and try and tweak one to my likeing.

• Members

I run output 2 to 2 Bogner cubes and output 1 to FOH. There is a thread on the old Axe board showing you how to set your Axe up to do this. The best of both worlds.

I run a 3TM Ultra+ modded MP-1 into a VHT 2/50/2. For heavy sounds I use the USA Clean amp sim with the 3TM, no cab sims. I add a cleaner amp (Blues, Tweed) in the second row (parallel) and it cleans up the tone nicely.

For cleans, I switch off the loop on my GRX4 that is running the 3TM and go Axe only running Clawfinger's custom IR's.

Direct is Axe only, Bogner amp sims and Cali 4x12 and Clawfinger's custom IR's.

• Members

I was using two Egnater M4's, two G-Majors, a GSP1101 and a Korg Tuner into a VHT 2/90/2 - it's a big, awesome rig...but I just got the AxeFX...so for the last few practices I have been using it and a Mesa 20/20.

I sat down with it and dialed in some great tones at room level -- then during the first full practice with the band, it had way too much mids; so I took a few hours and tweaked all my patches and set things at the volume I'll be playing live. It sounds sick and can far too easily replace my entire rack.

I went from 12 spaces to 3...but I'll probably put it back in the rack with my Egnater M4, cause that unit is just a little too whip ass to shelve for good.

I've had all of the Line 6 gear and Behringer gear, Korg stuff, Zoom stuff...

None of it comes close to the AxeFX -- it's by far the most bad ass piece of gear I've ever bought.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I just got the Ultra and have only had a day or 2, make that an hour or 2, to mess around with it. I have to say that for not knowing what the hell I'm doing with it yet, it's got some incredible tones. I've been dialing in a heavy rhythm patch using a plexi and sd-1...and it sounds pretty spot on. I can't wait to dig in deeper!

• Members

:confused:

So, you have to use a midi interface to hook it up to ones computer?

I haven't used the AXE-FX personally, but when I looked at it's specs, that's the one thing I found disappointing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but back in the day when I had to use MIDI to do patch editing with my Digitech RP-12, it was woefully slow. You basically had to do a MIDI dump to your PC, then edit your patches there, then upload all the MIDI data back to the unit. My GNX-3000 on the other hand just plugs in via the USP port and I can edit patches in realtime.

I'm assuming also that USB 2.0 has much more bandwidth than MIDI.

• Members

I haven't used the AXE-FX personally, but when I looked at it's specs, that's the one thing I found disappointing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but back in the day when I had to use MIDI to do patch editing with my Digitech RP-12, it was woefully slow. You basically had to do a MIDI dump to your PC, then edit your patches there, then upload all the MIDI data back to the unit. My GNX-3000 on the other hand just plugs in via the USP port and I can edit patches in realtime.

The editor for the axe-fx (although a third party app) edits in real-time over midi. You also have the option of editing offline and then uploading.

Honestly though, if you need pretty pictures of pedals and amps to do your editing, the axe-fx probably isn't for you. It isn't for the faint-minded.

-W

• Members

Honestly though, if you need pretty pictures of pedals and amps to do your editing, the axe-fx probably isn't for you. It isn't for the faint-minded.

:facepalm:

I know this is the internets, but honestly ... is it possible for somebody to make a point around here without being insulting in the process?

I use the digitech software that came with my GNX3000 because that is what is available, not because the UI is all that spectacular.

• Members

USB may be in the works with the new foot controller coming out.

Either way you can tweak in the editor and then audition thru the Axe without saving. The lag is nothing to get hung up about. The entire bank (A,B, or C which consists of 128 presets each) is around 280K. MIDI vs. USB is a moot point with that file size.

Besides Lars who made the editor did it on his own free time and it works great.

I waited for over a year for TC to do something with the GForce and no response.

• Members

whilst baudrate != bandwidth, MIDI is 31.25kbit/s, USB2 is up to 480Mbit/s so USB2 would be around 15,320 times faster. A lack of USB for something as sophisticated as the axe is a pretty major omission, but there you go...

EDIT: As mentioned though, MIDI's still quicker than a human can percieve (or change) anything...

• Members

I LOVE mine....

Running it 2 ways.

Axe-Carvin DCM1000-Randall 4x12 (stereo)

Axe-Mackie 1202-Tannoy monitors

Never been happier with a piece of gear, and I've been through ALOT!!!
:D

When you run it through the 4x12 are you leaving the speaker sims off?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived