One Guitar ... Multiple Preamps?

cmw

• Members

I've got essentially three preamps, a Peavey Rockmaster, a Tubeworks RTII, and a Digitech GNX3000 (and I'm looking for more ... ADA MP-1, GSP-1101, etc)

I'm planning on running those into a Rane SM26 mixer, then into some effects, and finally out to a Peavey Classic 50/50 into 2 2x12 cabs.

The problem then, is that I need to split my input signal, the instrument-level signal from my guitar at least three ways. I'm thinking no sweat ... just look online for a box that will do that and I'll be up and running in no time....

Unfortunately ... I can't seem to find a box that will do such a thing. Anything I found that would at least split the signal 2 ways was way over-priced.

I thought, maybe I could go the DIY route. I did some research and came up with a schematic from the Jensen site that would do exactly what I wanted, one input, four outputs. All you need is some resistors, capacitors, and three of these Jensen transformers ... no sweat. Then I looked up the price on the transformers ... anywhere from $70 to $99 each. I guess that's why I couldn't find any reasonably priced solutions.

(here's a link to that schematic: http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as014.pdf )

So ... my question is ... am I really that screwed? I do not want to spend a few hundred dollars on this project. Does anybody have any solutions that are reasonably priced? Where is behringer when you need them ?!? :facepalm:

• Members

Well, tonight I took a chance and tried running a Y-Connector into my Rockmaster and my RealTube II. I know this isn't how it's done, but It's gonna be a week or so before I can order that Nobels unit. My Rane SM26 should arrive any day (courtesy of eBay) so I just ran both unites directly into the 50/50 in stereo (bypassing all the effects and other gear for now)

I have to say ... the results were incredible. I was never really satisfied with each units individual tone, but together they sounded just awesome. The tone loss from using a Y-Connector was very minimal. That could be due to the fact that my Carvin DC400 has somewhat high-gain pickups and active electronics.

Hard panned left and right (only option for now) the sound was thick and meaty. It's like having chorus, but without the digital sound you get from a processor.

I can't wait to get the rest of that gear so I can hook it up right, but for now ... I'm thrilled with the result. :)

• Members

when I read the original question, the first thing that came to mind for a DIY solution was something like a buffer amplifier with multiple outputs, and perhaps a gain/attenuator knob per output. i'm already starting to build a back-of-the-envelope type schematic in my head.

• Members

Once you put your guitar through a buffer of any type, or even better a clean boost, and you get a low impedance output you should be able to do a very simple splitter without a lot of signal loss. Just run the output into 4-5 pots each say 50K-100K, put the output from the buffer into a 10K resistor Like this...

Buffer

|

----R-----P

|

----R-----P

|

----R-----P

If you are using a clean boost this should do the trick on a budget. the 10K resistor is so that you can turn any pot down to zero, and not loose the signal to the other pots. you will loose a bit of signal, but that is why you would be best off using a clean boost.

I hope this helps. Also any one else have any sugestions for improvement to theis idea??

• Members

With the rockmaster you can simply plug your guitar into the rockmaster's high or low input and then put a patch cable from the other input of the rockmaster to the second preamp. I used to run a y cable but once I discovered this it made my life much easier.

• Members

With the rockmaster you can simply plug your guitar into the rockmaster's high or low input and then put a patch cable from the other input of the rockmaster to the second preamp. I used to run a y cable but once I discovered this it made my life much easier.

Wow. I can't wait to go home and try that out!

• Members

Cheapest and best bet for this would be the Axess Electronics GRX-4.

You can run your guitar into it, then switch between 4 different preamps running to the same power amp.

If you combine it with the BS-2, you can feed three of the preamps and then run more than one preamp at the same time (you could do it with just the GRX-4, but chances are you'll have ground loop issues)...the GRX-4 works awesome for just one of the four preamps at a time though.

• Members

So, after all that I decided the Nobels Split-4 would do exactly what I wanted.

split-4_300.gif

I called Godlyke, their US distributor who just told me that they are phasing out the Nobels stuff.

Consequently, they no longer cary the Split-4.

:cry:

They do have the Split-Master in stock though. It looks like it would do the trick, though it's not so specifically tailored to that one task.

split-master_300.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Lots of luck on your quest if are very picky.You milage may vary.

I owned the mesa splitter.Worked ok but there was some slight signal loss..The Tech's at mesa thought I was on crack.All you have to do is A/B straight in vs the splitter in.

I had a Giant C.A.E rack rig.with pedals and 4 pre's and fx all going into a mixer and spitting out into 2 Clean amps of my choice.It was a very flexible rig.I even had the abilty to send a specific preamp to LFT OR RHT AMPS with their own fx. 1 4x4 was used as the send unit to the pre's.This was ok and I went with it for a while....BUT....., again...after a while....Something was missing.It was not like plugging straight into xyz preamp...losing sensitivity and gain.Even with the buffer of the 4x4,My guitar signal was still somehow getting neutered in this rig after much extensive A/B's between plugging into the 4x4 and straight into the preamp...It was close but I got fed up and moved on.

Purchased a Little Labs PCP$$$.This is the closest splitter box I have yet used with out a doubt but it a studio piece and is not switchable remote wise.

I purchased a Lehle for more portability...It works really well BUT IT's NOT BUFFERED AND IS PASSIVE which is good or bad.Used alone,There are no hums but there is some highs rolling off AND a slight variation on volume when both amps are running verses one or the other!It will pass mustard and do the job but needs optional active buffering which adds to the $$$

I have yet to call Pete Cornish$$$$.The Wah/boost/3 way splitter is neato.

I have yet to use AXXES electronics stuff which I hear is great.

I have yet to have one killer rig for any situation....tones/.reliable/somewhat portable/

Alex Lifesons current rig and routing has my curiosity.I could be totally wrong on this...as it is a guess..I believe its one amp feeding a gcx from the fx send into 2 g-forces into a mixer returning into the fx rtn of the first and 2nd head(for stereo fx rtrn only)....into to palmer di cab boxes.He manually changes preamp channels and has the midi controller changing the g-force presets and gcx.He uses a custom axxcess splitter 1x5 somewhere in there...because he's able to combine a clean signal with stereo fx with dirty and stereo fx...I don't know how he's doing it but it always works for him!Makes me angry!...ha...not ....but you know?.

Sorry for the long post

• Members

Yup.

You could also use stereo chorus pedals to split the signal prior to the preamps.

Sometimes I use my Boss TU-2 to split my guitar signal into 2 separate amps. The same works for 2 preamps into my power amp, plus its my tuner!

Archived