How many here use a distortion pedal for thier sound?

• Members

Ive got a tube preamp and a tube power amp but the pre pnly gives me a good marshall like drive. cleans are great. Ive got an old Korg Hyper distortion pedal that was pretty decent with practice amps but Ive never tried it on my rack and 4x12 set up for distortion. Probably going to be awhile till I can upgrade to a gsp 1101 or RM4 preamp.

• Members

Depends on the sound I'm after. I have a Monte Allums Rectifier modded Boss DS-1 that I switch in on occasion, more often than not just to increase saturation and sustain for solos. I also have a GSP1101, and I use the Sparkledrive and Tubescreamer models for a bit of grit for a bluesy sound on occasion. But I have a Peavey JSX and a Peavey XXX with a headswitcher, so I've got 4 overdrive (and 2 clean) channels to play with anyway.

• Members

Ive got an old Korg Hyper distortion pedal that was pretty decent with practice amps but Ive never tried it on my rack and 4x12 set up for distortion.

That means you've got one of the finest distortion pedals ever made, based on the many I've tried over the years. Although I record with a rack rig, my live rig consists of a pedalboard running into a tube power amp and 4x12, with an ART Xtreme as my distortion source. The Xtreme pedal is virtually the same as the DST-4 rack preamp, so I can have a very consistent sound live and in the studio.

A lot of people claim to "outgrow" pedals over time, but there is no denying that some of them sound fantastic and can rival amp distortion in many cases. Since the Hyper Distortion has two channels, it's pretty flexible, and it's definitely more convincing to my ears than most digital models. Having a parametric mid sweep is a major bonus. I made the mistake of loaning my Korg to a friend, never saw it again, and haven't been able to find another since.

Archived