Dear Line 6, I hate non standard foot controllers

• Members

I sent this letter to Line 6. I find the models very usefull in a live context but the control situation annoys the crap out of me. I wonder if I will get a response.

Line 6, Listen please, I hate the fact that although your product is midi switchable and has CC assignments you make a floor board that connects with a network cable and is not programmable. The advantages of having the board powered by the single connection are diminished by the fact that the only device I can control with this thing is yours and I can only do what the buttons are pre programmed to do. If I could use it to control other devices or even assign the damn pedal to anything other than Wha or volume I may consider buying it.

As it stands I will buy a stand alone Midi controller that I can rig some half assed phantom power setup to becuase you will not standardize this either, or run another freaking power cable to it.

Also, Why does the floorboard cost nearly as much as the POD in the first place. I could do more with the Live version than the floorboard anyway and save a few hundred bucks, But the knobs break off and the switches are crappy. I also like all the in and out options on the rack version.

In addition you are among the last companies whose effects do not have spillover, I and everyone else may not use it very often but whether you like it or not spillover is a big selling point.

• Members

they wont give a {censored}, i had a nightmare situation where my usb on my line6 board wouldnt work and i took it to one of their "service centers" for it to only sit for 6 months and they didnt even know that the usb was messed up(the ONLY reason i took it in) and i explained the incident to line 6, they didnt give a flying {censored}.

i'v sworn off line 6 because i had 5 different line 6 products and ALL of them either malfunctioned or broke all together. avoid line 6 like the plauge

• Members

they wont give a {censored}, i had a nightmare situation where my usb on my line6 board wouldnt work and i took it to one of their "service centers" for it to only sit for 6 months and they didnt even know that the usb was messed up(the ONLY reason i took it in) and i explained the incident to line 6, they didnt give a flying {censored}.

i'v sworn off line 6 because i had 5 different line 6 products and ALL of them either malfunctioned or broke all together. avoid line 6 like the plauge

• Members

I sent this letter to Line 6. I find the models very usefull in a live context but the control situation annoys the crap out of me. I wonder if I will get a response.

Line 6, Listen please, I hate the fact that although your product is midi switchable and has CC assignments you make a floor board that connects with a network cable and is not programmable. The advantages of having the board powered by the single connection are diminished by the fact that the only device I can control with this thing is yours and I can only do what the buttons are pre programmed to do. If I could use it to control other devices or even assign the damn pedal to anything other than Wha or volume I may consider buying it.

As it stands I will buy a stand alone Midi controller that I can rig some half assed phantom power setup to becuase you will not standardize this either, or run another freaking power cable to it.

Also, Why does the floorboard cost nearly as much as the POD in the first place. I could do more with the Live version than the floorboard anyway and save a few hundred bucks, But the knobs break off and the switches are crappy. I also like all the in and out options on the rack version.

In addition you are among the last companies whose effects do not have spillover, I and everyone else may not use it very often but whether you like it or not spillover is a big selling point.

Meh...I just bought a POD X3 and a FBV Shortboard and I'm plenty happy with how they work together. I don't need to program anything. All the features I need to access are right there on the board. Very plug in and play and user friendly. :)

And Line 6 does effects spillover...just not on their POD's. My Line 6 M-13 has delay and reverb spillover. :)

I've got a rack rig with a Ground Control Pro that also has a Boss GT-Pro in it that I use for live and serious studio work or if I need anything more complicated than what the POD will do in a recording situation. I bought the POD and FBV for it's ease of use and for late night headphone rehearsals, and direct recording of rough demos. I'd never use a POD live, so none of the complaints above are really an issue for me.

I don't know...after having a few DL 4's crap out on me over a period of a year, I just don't have huge expectations of Line 6 gear. I just never use it in a situation where I'd have to rely on it for serious work and I won't spend more than a few hundred bucks on it. :)

• Members

Depends on the customer service. Some companies take criticisms and work out ways to improve their products, and some are ignorant and unhelpful.

Not sure which cateory Line 6 fall under. I've never dealt with them

My experience has been their customer service and warranty repair service is crap. I had a DL-4 that would make these weird crackling sounds and the delay signal would disappear every time I ran a compressor pedal before it for any period longer than about 10 or 15 minutes. It was just a regular Ross compressor clone set at a reasonable level.

They took about a couple of months after I shipped it to them to finally get around to contacting me. They asked me what the problem was (which I already included in a letter along with the pedal as well as on their online support ticket system). Then a couple of weeks later they ship the unit back...no note...no e-mail...nothing. I plug it in, try it out and sure enough, it does the same thing.

So I call them and they told me that they couldn't reproduce the problem so they sent it back. It would have been nice to know this before they sent it back to me.

So I played the pedal over the phone with the comp in front of it and told him what the settings on the comp were so he could hear what I was talking about. He asked me to send it back in and that he'd make a note of what he'd heard.

I sent the pedal back...3 weeks go by and I finally hear back from them. They still can't figure out what the problem is so they said they'd send me a new one.

They sent me a new one and one of the switches gave out on it after about a month.

I sent it back to Line 6 who fixed the switch and sent it back...3 more weeks.

When it came back I immediately sold it to a friend of mine.

About 6 months later I picked up another one new for a project I was working on. About two weeks of use it went dead on me at a show...I mean it just straight up and died at a point that was really hard not to notice...no delay signal, no LED's...just my direct signal.

I took it back to Guitar Center and exchanged it for a Boss DD-20 and have been happy and incident free with the DD-20 for the last 5 years.

Honestly, in my opinion, the only companies making reliable well built digital modeling gear under $1000 are Boss and Digitech. The GT-Pro from Boss and the Digitech GSP-2101 both sound great and are solidly built.

Archived