ADA MP-1 thoughts....

• Members

I have several threads asking different things about this preamp. I'm hoping to get some more general thoughts/opinions in this thread.

What is your experience with it? Good? Bad?

Is it really only capable of 80's metal?

What poweramps/effects units/ or other units have you found to be good or bad with it?

Anything else would be great information also.

Thanks!

• Members

My favorite preamp, and yes it can do way more than just 80's metal. Great cleans and hot-rodded Marshall crunch. So far my favorite power amp to use with it has been the Mesa 2:90. Biggest downside I've found is that they're noisy but nothing a good gate can't fix.

Lots of info and mods available here -> www.adadepot.com

• Members

Some folks swear by them. I never really felt they had the output or presence that other preamps had. I know an electronic engineer who used to work for ADA and he said they were poorly built and talked me out of buying one when I was considering picking one up for direct recording. He said he did a lot of their warranty repair work. He builds amps here in the bay area now. :o

I had a Rocktron ProGAP MIDI solid state preamp that I ran into the "Power Amp In" on a pair of red knob Fender Twins back in the day. My buddy had just bought an MP-1 and sold it to get a ProGap. If you run it into a decent tube amp, the Rocktron sounds a lot better than the MP-1.

I eventually sold the Rocktron and the Twins and got a Marshall JMP-1 and Mesa 50/50 before giving up on preamp/poweramp rack setups all together about a decade ago.

These days I'm using rack gear for effects and pedal switching. :)

I kinda wish I still had that ProGAP though. :thu:

• Members

I have several threads asking different things about this preamp. I'm hoping to get some more general thoughts/opinions in this thread.

What is your experience with it? Good? Bad?

Is it really only capable of 80's metal?

What poweramps/effects units/ or other units have you found to be good or bad with it?

Anything else would be great information also.

Thanks!

Its great, Paul Gilbert used it for the longest time and that my favorite "shred" tone.

• Members

Some folks swear by them. I never really felt they had the output or presence that other preamps had. I know an electronic engineer who used to work for ADA and he said they were poorly built and talked me out of buying one when I was considering picking one up for direct recording. He said he did a lot of their warranty repair work. He builds amps here in the bay area now.
:o

I had a Rocktron ProGAP MIDI solid state preamp that I ran into the "Power Amp In" on a pair of red knob Fender Twins back in the day. My buddy had just bought an MP-1 and sold it to get a ProGap. If you run it into a decent tube amp, the Rocktron sounds a lot better than the MP-1.

I eventually sold the Rocktron and the Twins and got a Marshall JMP-1 and Mesa 50/50 before giving up on preamp/poweramp rack setups all together about a decade ago.

These days I'm using rack gear for effects and pedal switching.
:)

I kinda wish I still had that ProGAP though.
:thu:

Whyd you stop using pre/power amps?

• Members

It's all preference really. I used to A/B an MP-1 with a Tech21 SansAmp PSA-1 and I eventually got to where I only used the MP-1 for a couple of presets. I eventually moved it out of the rack altogether just to make room for other stuff that fit my needs better. I never had a problem with the MP-1, I just much preferred the PSA-1. The noise issue was definitely a large part of this reason, but I wasn't using any type of noise reduction at the time.

• Members

Love mine. I'm running it as well as my own pre I built and will hopefully have a 100W head based on it on the market by spring. I run these thru a Peavey 50/50 Power amp. I use the MP-1 for my cleans with the chorus (I love this chorus) and for uber high gain shread tones. I dial in the lo gain channel on my pre for low to medium stuff, and the high gain channel covers most medium to high gain Marshall stuff.

I did the noise mod off of adadepot and it really made a HUGE difference. You can pick these up for around $200 and they are well worth the money just to have around as they are uber versatile. If I really wanted to I could get by just fine with only the MP-1

• Members

I love my MP-1 ... no doubt. There is a saturation in tone for leads that I have not been able to duplicate. I just got my GRX4 so I can run it along with my Soldano SP-77. Although I have outboard EQ in my rig, I can post some patches/#'s for you all if you'd like.

• Members

Love mine. I'm running it as well as my own pre I built and will hopefully have a 100W head based on it on the market by spring. I run these thru a Peavey 50/50 Power amp. I use the MP-1 for my cleans with the chorus (I love this chorus) and for uber high gain shread tones. I dial in the lo gain channel on my pre for low to medium stuff, and the high gain channel covers most medium to high gain Marshall stuff.

I did the noise mod off of adadepot and it really made a HUGE difference. You can pick these up for around $200 and they are well worth the money just to have around as they are uber versatile. If I really wanted to I could get by just fine with only the MP-1

What chorus do you use?

• Members

I've been a/bing an MP-1 I borrowed with my Rocktron Vendetta. I'd just run the MP-1 through the Vendetta's power section.

Yes, the MP-1 is really versatile, but it seemed more muddy than the Vendetta. I played around with tubes a little, but couldn't change that fact. Also, the Vendetta is way more touch sensitive, and light overdrive settings are more usable. I'm sticking with the Vendetta for now. It seems to cut better too.

All of this may just be because I have had the Vendetta for much longer, and have more experience dialing it in. I'm not sure on that.

Andy

• Members

Nice, That what i run my Mp1 with :thu:

And i agree with everyone's opinion, no point and beating a dead horse :thu:

IMG_0239.jpg

I using mine since one years now and I love this:)

Sound awesome but not only for 80's style (in fact really 80's sound if you use mp1 chorus I think)...

Btw, poweramp have a huge importance with mp1, personnatly I use mine with a Marshall 9100 and sound good gig after gig...

Archived