Dummy Load options

• Members

Hey guys,

So I'm planning on getting hold of a Marshall El84 20/20 stereo poweramp to go with my rig.

However it doesn't allow you to run one side only (as far as I'm aware, if one of you guys knows better feel free to tell me ;) ), and for the time being I'm only able to use a single 1x12 cab due to space restrictions (at university, don't have the biggest of rooms).

So my problem is I really am fixed on this poweramp and need to look into some kind of dummy load for one side.

I've looked at the Weber Mass units, however they seem very hard to come by in the UK, also looked at the THD Hotplate however I really don't need its features I just want a dummy load.

So I'm wondering if there are any DIY or cheap options to doing this (bear in mind its 20 watts perside and I will be using it for bedroom levels for the time I will need to use it)

I've seen dummy loads in some pro rigs such as John Petrucci's which look like nothing more than a jack hooked up to a resistor screwed to the flightcase, I'm wondering if theres something like that I could whip up?

Any help would be great guys!

• Members

Here's 1 thing you could use and it's on your side of the pond, so it's accessible.

There's also a diy kit on the same site that looks pretty cool and easy.

sweet... I wish they had a 100W version of it.

Looks great.

Andy

• Members

sweet... I wish they had a 100W version of it.

Looks great.

Andy

In the US, you can order dummy loads from part-express.com. They've got 100w and 200w, 4 ohm and 8 ohm. From what I've learned, the dummy load should be rated a little higher than your amp's output. So, for a 100w amp, maybe the 200w dummy load should be used. Just a suggestion.

Anyhow, I'm going to build myself a 2ch dummy load for recording purposes and I'll be using the ones from parts-express.

• Members

In the US, you can order dummy loads from part-express.com. They've got 100w and 200w, 4 ohm and 8 ohm. From what I've learned, the dummy load should be rated a little higher than your amp's output. So, for a 100w amp, maybe the 200w dummy load should be used. Just a suggestion.

Anyhow, I'm going to build myself a 2ch dummy load for recording purposes and I'll be using the ones from parts-express.

Found the resistors. Thanks.

• Members

From what I've learned, the dummy load should be rated a little higher than your amp's output. So, for a 100w amp, maybe the 200w dummy load should be used.

From what i've learned, that should be the case with heads mostly. The explanation i got was that once you start pushing the amp, and crank it all the way up a 100W tube head might consume like 150 watts instead because of the poweramp being driven into overdrive.

In a preamp/poweramp setup the distortion typically comes from the preamp alone, not overdriving the poweramp, and thereby not creating that "overdrag". So - the higher dummy load value might not be needed with preamp/poweramp type setups, but i'd overrate it anyways. It's better to be safe than sorry ;)

Archived