Newbie - Par Can /controller Wiring

Skidders

• Members

OK a basic question from a lighting newbie. In UK I can get hold of some pretty reasonable Par56s. Could anyone advise how best to wire cans to an off-the-shelf foot controller. If I am mounting four cans, do I have to run four independent cables across stage to controller or is there a way of just delivering single cable to footcontroller. DMX? If so what's the wiring?

Thanks

CS

• Members

What sort of 'Off the shelf foot controller" are you referring to?

If you want all the cans coming on and off at the same time, then you could essentially wire them in parallel as in, plugging them all into a four way 13amp block.

If you want them to run chases or just independently, then you will need a dimmer and a controller, or a disco type controller that is a dimmer as well and offers some sort of chasing.

You can get foot controllers (on and off switches for running scenes and chases). I don't know anything about them other than hearing people punt around the NSI controller.

Rimmer

• Members

Originally posted by Skidders

Thanks for Reply.

I am looking for a simple set up initially just four par cans.

Thought originally foot controller would be easiest. In hindsight a rack mount unit would be just as convenient as all we want is:

• 9 years later...
  • Members

I've never seen that controller before. A huge portion of us here are using PC based control systems with a MIDI controller of some style.

Myself I use Freestyler with sequences triggered from a Roland SPDs by my drummer.

A lot of people use DMXis controlled by Behringer FCB 1010 foot controller or by midi with a sequence on their laptop.

Also the Chauvet Obey 40/70 controllers seem to be popular and contolable with midi triggers.

Lots of options put there.

As I said before,never seen that controller before.

I'm trying to control scenes with a foot pedal???

does anyone know about this

ryger footlight?

• Members

BostonWedding: That controller looks to be as much "trouble" as DMX programming. I.E. this wouldn't be any easier to use, and would be very limiting. Sounds like a lose-lose to me.

There are tons of SW packages out there to do the job. The Obey40 that bigjd references can work off a midi pedal as well and will give you far more in terms of flexability without the need for a computer. In fact, I happen to have one brand new in a box (never used) for sale if you're interested. Just PM me if you're interested.

Archived