Your Thoughts On Martin MX-1 System

g4string

• Members

I am new to lighting and looking for a quick and easy system to set up and operate. I am willing to spend between $1K-$2K. I am looking for the best bang for my dollar.

The Martin MX-1 system caught my eye (4ea mx-1's, mc-1 controller, and all the cables). I found one new for $1700. What are your opinions about Martin and/or this system. If this is not a good idea, what would you reccomend? Thank you for your time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I know the MX system but not from personally using them.

My comments are on Martin.

Martin have been incredibly successful with the Mac range. The design for which was from the High End Studio Colour design which cheesed off Varilite.

The build quality of Martin macs if crap compared to ANY high end product or Varilite product. High end make better quality products than Varilite in my opinion.

There are lots of Martin products out there. Some of their light outputs look good but 'almost' all of them are comparable in quality to cheap Jap manufacturers. I don't care what anyone thinks of that comment.

Check the price of replacement parts. They don't care much if you need the parts 'Tomorrow'. They're "Martin.. er Professional"...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Rimmer

I know the MX system but not from personally using them.

My comments are on Martin.

Martin have been incredibly successful with the Mac range. The design for which was from the High End Studio Colour design which cheesed off Varilite.

The build quality of Martin macs if crap compared to ANY high end product or Varilite product. High end make better quality products than Varilite in my opinion.

There are lots of Martin products out there. Some of their light outputs look good but 'almost' all of them are comparable in quality to cheap Jap manufacturers. I don't care what anyone thinks of that comment.

Check the price of replacement parts. They don't care much if you need the parts 'Tomorrow'. They're "Martin.. er Professional"...

I have up close and personal knowledge of all three of the manufacturers you mention, I have been factory trained in all of them. I'll tell you that they all are decent products when you get in to the professional end of their lines. But keep in mind when you deal with high tech items with many moving parts that have to deal with as much heat as they do, they all break. Macs actually hold up the best! However, when macs do break, the tend to break hard. Others break a little more often but are easier to deal with.

Your best bet on buying a lighting system is to look at the features and price. Stay with the big three as listed above, VL may be out of most peoples price range though. Most importantly, buy your system from a lighting equipment dealer. Stay clear of places like guitar center, they do not have trained lighting professionals available to help you. Try telling a pro audio guy at your local music mega store that your new moving light isn't working. In many cases a lighting shop can have your gear back up and running withen a day or two.

• Members

Originally posted by jhaller

Macs actually hold up the best! However, when macs do break, the tend to break hard. Others break a little more often but are easier to deal with.

I would agree to disagree with this. Martin bring out new lights all the time and most, if not all of them have some serious flaws.

i.e. Martin Mac 2000. The shutters in these units were cheap and underated bendy alloy. They have only recently been replaced by slightly more suitable shutters. The units have been out for a couple of years. Martin know better. They also know that they make tons and tons of cash out of replacement parts, most of which weren't suitable in the first place. They are generally cheaply made and use the cheapest and often the most unsuitable parts for their machines.

I could illustrate the different in quality to anyone if I have the top casing off a High-End X-spot and a Mac 2000 in front of me by showing people the quality of the shutters and the mechanism.

Mac 500/600's are more reliable these days but the owners have been through hell and high water for a number of years whilst the company make a bunch of cash from replacement parts. It's an industry wide issue I know but Martin are the experts (along with Studio Due and most if not all of the Italian manufacturers).

It's good to speak to someone that has some training and knowledge with this equipment though.. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Rimmer

i.e. Martin Mac 2000. The shutters in these units were cheap and underated bendy alloy. They have only recently been replaced by slightly more suitable shutters. The units have been out for a couple of years. Martin know better. They also know that they make tons and tons of cash out of replacement parts, most of which weren't suitable in the first place. They are generally cheaply made and use the cheapest and often the most unsuitable parts for their machines.

All new products come out too early, and end up with revisions and upgrades. We have had our VL1000's upgraded once, our X-Spots twice, I could go on and on...that doesn't include software!

• Members

I run a small dj company and I have owned the 2 mx-1's and 2 acrobats.

here is my opinion of the mx-1's. overall they look good, but I wasn't satisfied with the gobo's. I sold my mx-1's for chauvet intimidators. The intimidators are way better than the mx-1's if you replace the bulbs that come with the intimidators with the high power 200w halogens.

If I had that much to spend, I would buy 4 intimidators 4 insignia's. you'll have a killer light show. you can get these lights for $200 a piece if you look hard enough.

finally, the intimidators travel much better than mx-1's do.

here's the link

www.chauvetlighting.com

• Members

Originally posted by jhaller

All new products come out too early, and end up with revisions and upgrades. We have had our VL1000's upgraded once, our X-Spots twice, I could go on and on...that doesn't include software!

At least some of them generally work from the off. The sheer amount of Martin products that haven't worked out of the box is amazing.

The X-spots work well as they are. They had some teething issues but not to the level of Martin's Mac range. Some of them were virtually unusable from the off... :p

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

The mx-1 are in my opinion worth their money worth. The only disadvantage I found with them was that their gobo and color changes were to slow. This I remedeed by switching to the mx-4. Martin are in comparison more reliable than most other companies out there (German engineering at its best).

If money is an issue however I could also recommend the american dj concept system. I'm making this recommendation based solely on their specs. I personally decided to spend more and buy the martins. Still I found the concept 2 system for $1900 with shipping just recently. If you are interested email me panikos@clubrev.com (This address will be active in a couple of days)

• Members

Originally posted by Panikos

Martin are in comparison more reliable than most other companies out there (German engineering at its best).

They're are from Belgium aren't they?

Take your chances with Martin. Some of their stuff is okay, the majority is cheap copies of better products..

Archived