ADJ Hazer Opinions

J Kylez

• Members

I am looking for a Hazer and the American DJ Haze Generator is appealing to me. I like this heaterless design. Less clogging I would think. Anyway, anyone have an opinion on these units?

I want to add a thin mist. We have a fogger but the haze would be nice for a constant effect for the lights. Iit can fly under the radar in clubs where you can't use smoke. The fogger can do the heavy duty effect.

Thanks,

J

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

You might want to check out Chauvet's hazer... I believe it's quite a bit cheaper, with the same basic design. Unless you're talking about the ADJ one that you have to load ice into... I don't know how far I'd trust that one, IMO.

Chauvet's hazer is a low grade fogger. I checked it out already. It has a heating system.

• Members

Originally posted by J Kylez

Chauvet's hazer is a low grade fogger. I checked it out already. It has a heating system.

Really? That's interesting. I've never tried it, but was considering purchasing one simply because it's DMX controllable -- heating system or not, it's cheaper than your typical DMX fogger anyway. I'd rather have something that had DMX capabilities designed into it rather than just an external controller plugged into the thing. And at that price, I can get a pair, and always have a backup if one dies. A few shows and it's made its money back no problem.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Thanks for the reply... I have played in a club with an awsome house light show and they had a (house) hazer there... wow. Very impressive. We have a fogger now that works well but we'd like to get a hazer. I was hoping there might be a decent, less expensive alternative to the $700 hazer.

I don't normally go cheap on gear, but I'm kinda choking on the $700 right now, or at LEAST want to understand clearly the alternatives, pro's and con's (do my homework so to speak) before making a decision. But it's tough to find quality information on the various hazers out there (American DJ, Chauvet, other "off" brands etc.).

I've searched all the links here, I believe, other than the one you sent me - thanks for any help anyone can provide! :)

Mark

• Members

I've never used the ADJ or Chauvet foggers in the real world. As for which has a heater, or not, or dmx, or not, don't know. But you can buy a dmx control patch that probably will work with them. The last ADJ product I tried was their 150 watt color changers, and I wasn't impressed with them. The way ADJ introduces new products and discontinues them, I'd be concerned about parts availability. But then again, replacement parts are probably as much as the cost of the unit, so you're probably better off just replacing with new. Chauvet seems to be improving in quality over time, based on what others tell me, but I don't have any real world experience with them either. I have seen both in demos and from other end users, and they may be fine for some applications, but I work mostly 700+ seat venues and larger, so they just don't have the power for my applications.

The LeMaitre is a good product, and is very stingy with fluid. Well worth the higher initial cost and very dependable. I'd buy one again. But I still prefer fog over haze, so I still use the F-100 with a home center fan.

One way around the "no fog" rule in a venue is to get haze approval. Then take a fogger and bury it under the stage. Turn the hazer on, and then run the fogger from under the stage and you'll get a much better result. It is really cool with portable staging and risers, as the fog comes up through the cracks between the platforms. But you better watch the output or you'll set off the alarms and cause yourself some real problems.

As for LSG (low smoke generator) products with a bucket of dry ice, they work. If you need low smoke within 5 feet of the machine. Past that, they just don't have the necessary heat transfer to do an adequate job. You really need something that runs with a liquified gas, like nitrogen or carbon dioxide, chiller, which can be very expensive, but you get what you pay for.

• Members

Originally posted by partycentral

The LeMaitre is a good product, and is very stingy with fluid. Well worth the higher initial cost and very dependable. I'd buy one again. But I still prefer fog over haze, so I still use the F-100 with a home center fan.

Actually I've never tried doing the fan with the fogger thing... I should try that I suppose, before I make the hazer plunge. :confused:

What exactly do you mean by "home center fan" - just blow the fog directly into a fan - maybe towards the back of the stage, or upwards 45 degrees?

Thanks again!

Mark

• Members

Originally posted by HuskerBlue

What exactly do you mean by "home center fan" - just blow the fog directly into a fan - maybe towards the back of the stage, or upwards 45 degrees?

Thanks again!

Mark

There are fans that can accept dmx, variable speed, high quality motors, road case, etc. etc. etc. but very expensive. Or you can go to Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. by "home center" I mean something you buy at a home center/hardware store and spend about 1/10 the price. Position of the fan relative to the fogger is dependent on the air currents in the room and the desired effect.

• Members

As was previously mentioned, the Le Maitre hazer is less expensive to operate.

For this example we'll assume you do 2 four hour gigs a week. In a two year period that adds up to 832 hours of operation. The ADJ and Chauvet hazers/foggers use one gallon of fluid for every 10 hours of operation, therefore you'd use 83.2 gallons of fluid. Using our sale price of standard haze fluid of $ 20.00/gallon your fluid cost for two years of use is $ 1664.00

The Le Maitre Neutron XS hazer will operate 600+ hours on a gallon of fluid, therefore you'd require 1.39 gallons of Neutron fluid. At a cost of $ 69.00/gallon your operating cost totals $ 95.68.

It becomes easy to see why the $ 199.00 for the ADJ/Chauvet units does NOT SAVE YOU MONEY.

The up front expense of the Neutron XS hazer is quickly recouped when the cost of fluid is taken into consideration.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived