lighting "vocab" / "Guide for Goobers"

ashivraj

• Members

hi all,

i usually vegetate at the Live Sound forum, but i've decided i want to get some basic knowledge of lights. i don't necessarily want to be an LD or anysuch just yet, but i wanna be able to help setup (and understand when the lights guy talks to me in techspeak), mebbe run the console for rehearsals, etc.

i've looked around on the forum, and found the good tutorial (by Bill Williams), quite useful. i was wondering though - i wanna know the terms etc... something more basic than Bill's tutorial perhaps?

something like Phil's Guide for Goobers, stickied on the Live Sound forum...

i don't know if im making any sense... dunno if what im asking for even exists... but help me anyway!

oh, and have a wonderfully awesome new year...

AS

• Members

Originally posted by ashivraj

hi all,

i usually vegetate at the Live Sound forum, but i've decided i want to get some basic knowledge of lights. i don't necessarily want to be an LD or anysuch just yet, but i wanna be able to help setup (and understand when the lights guy talks to me in techspeak), mebbe run the console for rehearsals, etc.

i've looked around on the forum, and found the good tutorial (by Bill Williams), quite useful. i was wondering though - i wanna know the terms etc... something more basic than Bill's tutorial perhaps?

something like Phil's Guide for Goobers, stickied on the Live Sound forum...

i don't know if im making any sense... dunno if what im asking for even exists... but help me anyway!

oh, and have a wonderfully awesome new year...

AS

Most of the lighting speak changes depending on which part of the industry you are in, for instance. A specific lighting stand has many names depending whether you are lighting rock and roll, Tv or Theatre.

It's hard to give a full list for any group unless you know that leg of the industry. If you find something, it could get put up as a sticky here. Let us know..

Regards

Rimmer

Archived