Extremely reflective white material for a backdrop...?

Zeromus-X

• Members

I'm trying to find a sheet of some sort that is highly reflective. Not like a mirror though... kinda hard to explain. I run a sign-making place as a side job, and we can get vinyl for sign lettering that is tagged "reflective". It's basically a really thick vinyl, seems to have two layers (the white and a clear layer over it). It looks pretty much like plain white vinyl, but if you shine a light on it at night, it's bright as hell! A really bad example would be this picture right here:

P5200030.jpg

If you look between the edges of the Mesa head and the rack cases, you'll see something extremely bright. That's the last letter in our band name reflecting off the flash of the camera. It can be pitch black in a room and if you take a flash, the name is the only damn thing you'll see.

I'd considered just simply covering a piece of fabric with this vinyl but there are two major problems -- one, it's really thick, so you can't really roll it up and squish it into your car every night. And two, it's expensive! A ten yard roll (15" wide) of the stuff is almost a hundred bucks. The higher-quality stuff is almost two hundred! So even going with the cheaper option, a backdrop 8' tall by 20' wide would run approximately $700.00. That's not cool!

Is there some kind of fabric that I might be able to use that'd reflect white light incredibly well other than going with this method?

• Members

Guess that would work... I dunno, was hoping for something that was actually reflective... like the letters on street signs, etc, you know?

I want to be able to aim a kilowatt strobe at the thing and have it BLINK. You can probably see where I'm going with it. Have the entire backdrop flashing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would get a projection grade scrim (fire retarded as well which is er.. rather important) and paint it with some Uv paint or a bright reflective paint (something from an arty style shop) that is quite flexible. The scrim can be rolled onto a carpet roll at the end of the gig if the paint is flexible.

If you went with Uv, you could take to your gigs a small uv strip to light it up.

I suspect there are paints that will reflect like street signs although I suspect their efficiency is more to do with their hard backing reflector ala' a mirror..

Let us know how you get on and check out some of those Rosco links as some of those gel companies (like Lee) might have some good solutions to your problem..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived