Home-Made Light Trees/Rack

• Members

Wanted to share with the forum how I built some light stands. If this idea has been passed by recently, oh well.

Start with a 2'x2' sheet of 3/4 plywood. Mount a 1" pipe flange in the center. Get some 1" pipe in 4' lengths. Screw a section of the pipe into the flange, then screw a coupling to the top of that section and add another section. To the top of that add a "T". then add a 3' pipe to both side and there you go.

Obviously you can get different size lengths of pipe to make them the height you need, or you can use a 90 degree angle on the top of either stand, and use 3 sections of 5' pipe to go between. This pipe will last forever, and the best part it can be broken down and built again at the gig.

I like em.

Cost is relatively cheap too.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by 1tallbassguy

Wanted to share with the forum how I built some light stands. If this idea has been passed by recently, oh well.

Start with a 2'x2' sheet of 3/4 plywood. Mount a 1" pipe flange in the center. Get some 1" pipe in 4' lengths. Screw a section of the pipe into the flange, then screw a coupling to the top of that section and add another section. To the top of that add a "T". then add a 3' pipe to both side and there you go.

Obviously you can get different size lengths of pipe to make them the height you need, or you can use a 90 degree angle on the top of either stand, and use 3 sections of 5' pipe to go between. This pipe will last forever, and the best part it can be broken down and built again at the gig.

I like em.

Cost is relatively cheap too.

:D

How about stability and durability? I find most equipment breakages are during transport.

Got any pictures?? ;)

Rimmer

• Members

Originally posted by Rimmer

How about stability and durability? I find most equipment breakages are during transport.

Got any pictures??
;)

Rimmer

Durability?

This is steel pipe. It is very durable.

Stability?

So far it has been very stable. The key is a strong connection of the flange to the plywood. I am using screws now and it is working fine. If it begins to get loose, I will secure flange to plywood with bolts. and countersink the nuts into the bottom.

Or another option would be to use a 1/8" sheet of steel plate and weld the flange to the plate. This would add more stability because of the weight.

But for now I am using the plywood, and it is working well.

• Members

Originally posted by 1tallbassguy

Durability?

This is steel pipe. It is very durable.

Stability?

So far it has been very stable. The key is a strong connection of the flange to the plywood. I am using screws now and it is working fine. If it begins to get loose, I will secure flange to plywood with bolts. and countersink the nuts into the bottom.

Or another option would be to use a 1/8" sheet of steel plate and weld the flange to the plate. This would add more stability because of the weight.

But for now I am using the plywood, and it is working well.

It wasn't the steel pipe I was concerned about. Rather the wood.

We often use a device called a tank trap (as it looks like a tank trap) which can hold a surprising amount of weight without falling over. They have a bolt in the bottom of a 2" square steel hole so you can tighten off anything you jam in there.

I would still be interested in seeing a picture of your creation though.. !

Rimmer

• Members

I have some old homemade stands with 1/4" steel base plates. I had a machine shop wield a 1/2" thick steel block in the center of the plates and drill a large hole in the center and thread the hole. Plus they wield handles on them. If someone dances in to them, they get a lump, but the trees don't fall over. Much better than wood but it cost more too.

• Members

I made a home-made light tree out of 1 1/2" PVC pipe. I used T-fittings to join two three foot sections with a four foot upright section. I drilled holes at various places on the pipes to put bolts through to hang the lights. I also put holes through the upright piece which is then put into my speaker stand and adjusted accordingly by using a bolt with a wing nut. The speaker stands were cheap, about $20 each, but they're fine for lightweight speakers or lights. I wouldn't want to put any really heavy lights on the PVC pipe, but for small parcans or (in my case) homemade spots in coffee cans, they're fine.

Archived