Jump to content

Home-Made Light Trees/Rack


Recommended Posts

  • Members

Wanted to share with the forum how I built some light stands. If this idea has been passed by recently, oh well.

 

Start with a 2'x2' sheet of 3/4 plywood. Mount a 1" pipe flange in the center. Get some 1" pipe in 4' lengths. Screw a section of the pipe into the flange, then screw a coupling to the top of that section and add another section. To the top of that add a "T". then add a 3' pipe to both side and there you go.

Obviously you can get different size lengths of pipe to make them the height you need, or you can use a 90 degree angle on the top of either stand, and use 3 sections of 5' pipe to go between. This pipe will last forever, and the best part it can be broken down and built again at the gig.

 

I like em.

 

Cost is relatively cheap too.

 

 

 

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by 1tallbassguy

Wanted to share with the forum how I built some light stands. If this idea has been passed by recently, oh well.


Start with a 2'x2' sheet of 3/4 plywood. Mount a 1" pipe flange in the center. Get some 1" pipe in 4' lengths. Screw a section of the pipe into the flange, then screw a coupling to the top of that section and add another section. To the top of that add a "T". then add a 3' pipe to both side and there you go.

Obviously you can get different size lengths of pipe to make them the height you need, or you can use a 90 degree angle on the top of either stand, and use 3 sections of 5' pipe to go between. This pipe will last forever, and the best part it can be broken down and built again at the gig.


I like em.


Cost is relatively cheap too.




:D

 

How about stability and durability? I find most equipment breakages are during transport.

 

Got any pictures?? ;)

 

 

Rimmer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Rimmer



How about stability and durability? I find most equipment breakages are during transport.


Got any pictures??
;)


Rimmer

 

Durability?

This is steel pipe. It is very durable.

 

Stability?

So far it has been very stable. The key is a strong connection of the flange to the plywood. I am using screws now and it is working fine. If it begins to get loose, I will secure flange to plywood with bolts. and countersink the nuts into the bottom.

 

Or another option would be to use a 1/8" sheet of steel plate and weld the flange to the plate. This would add more stability because of the weight.

But for now I am using the plywood, and it is working well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Originally posted by 1tallbassguy



Durability?

This is steel pipe. It is very durable.


Stability?

So far it has been very stable. The key is a strong connection of the flange to the plywood. I am using screws now and it is working fine. If it begins to get loose, I will secure flange to plywood with bolts. and countersink the nuts into the bottom.


Or another option would be to use a 1/8" sheet of steel plate and weld the flange to the plate. This would add more stability because of the weight.

But for now I am using the plywood, and it is working well.

 

 

It wasn't the steel pipe I was concerned about. Rather the wood.

 

We often use a device called a tank trap (as it looks like a tank trap) which can hold a surprising amount of weight without falling over. They have a bolt in the bottom of a 2" square steel hole so you can tighten off anything you jam in there.

 

I would still be interested in seeing a picture of your creation though.. !

 

Rimmer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I have some old homemade stands with 1/4" steel base plates. I had a machine shop wield a 1/2" thick steel block in the center of the plates and drill a large hole in the center and thread the hole. Plus they wield handles on them. If someone dances in to them, they get a lump, but the trees don't fall over. Much better than wood but it cost more too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I made a home-made light tree out of 1 1/2" PVC pipe. I used T-fittings to join two three foot sections with a four foot upright section. I drilled holes at various places on the pipes to put bolts through to hang the lights. I also put holes through the upright piece which is then put into my speaker stand and adjusted accordingly by using a bolt with a wing nut. The speaker stands were cheap, about $20 each, but they're fine for lightweight speakers or lights. I wouldn't want to put any really heavy lights on the PVC pipe, but for small parcans or (in my case) homemade spots in coffee cans, they're fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...