Looking to upgrade cover band lighting

Unalaska

• Members

I'm a regular in the Live Sound Forum but new to this arena. I was in music retail for 3 years as a pro sound/lighting guy (mostly DJ stuff) but now I'm looking to upgrade and things have changed since I was selling gear in 2000.

First off my band plays a lot of private parties lately. The system I use (I own all the sound and lighting) is pretty simple: 2 trees or 4x par 38b's, one tree has an American DJ Sparkle II the has a Mini-Gem II. One tree also has a 30w strobe and the other has a pinspot (I think I put it there to balance out that tree). The controller is a Light Copilot which has worked flawlessly for 5 years. I got on trade another 2 trees of chrome Par38's with the crappy steel stands but that isn't part of my question.

About a month ago I bought on sale 9 Par64's with the DYS 600w lamps (I need gel frames for 3). I'd like to use either 2x 4 channel dimmers and an ADJ Scene Setter 8. The idea is I'd be using only the 2x 64 trees or the 2x 38 trees but not likely both. It'd be nice to have a 3rd tree for back lighting but isn't a big priority.

Since most places I play only can offer 2 or 3 20a circuts at best I want to keep the 38's/lightcopilot system. Should I go with a rack dimmer? If so, how would I get power to the 64s? Also is the Behringer board worth looking at, I know some folks have had issues with it?

thanx for the help

pete

• Members

If ur upgrading and u have money to spend then u can do abit

buy 2 pushup/whinchup stands with a 3m truss

buy say or hire 4 scans

get ur rack dimmer

a lighting desk

that should give u a good show, also keep ur pars and the stands and seel the rest...

i am not sure if it is in the budget for u but if u can u will surelly have a crazy light show.

ops almost forgot and a smoke machine

Burge

• Members

Hi Pete,

I'd scrap most of your gear and start over.

Pars are power hungry and inefficient (1 Par = 1 color )

Intelligent scanners and color changers will give you expodentially more looks and combinations while using very little electricity.

Using NovaScans and NovaColors for this example, you could do the following:

Back Lighting

4 - NovaColors either spread across a truss or two each side on trees. Each NovaColor offers 15 colors so with 4 fixtures you'd have 50,625 potenital color combinations or "looks." The NovaColors are also dimmable and can strobe.

Front Lighting

4 - NovaScans and 2 - NovaColors

The NovaColors would be used as a cross fill light and could work both with or in contrast to the back lighting. The NovaScans would be used to spotlight the performers during solos and movement effects. They are also dimmable and can strobe. Like the NovaColors, the NovaScans offer 15 colors and 15 gobo patterns.

Best of all, these fixtures draw less than 2.5 amps each which would allow you to feed 9 of them off of one 20 amp circuit.

• Members

I've never heard of a Nova Scan but I do agree that Par 64's are ineffecient to say the least. I'll look into the Nova Scan option for sure. I have the luxury of not needing to do anything unless I want to. Money is tight right now but the winter I think will be a good one. I play for a living so any purchase I make can't afford to be an uninformed one. Not saying I haven't though!:D

With the truss idea, what tpye of truss should I be looking for? I know the market is flooded with these I trusses that are 10' in length but I'm concerned about getting a fixed length and not being able to accomodate the needs of the band. We are 5 piece, have moderately loud stage volume and require atleast (very least) 15x10 but frequently see 20-30'x15 stages. In this case using single trees is the best option. Should I look at triangle truss on a crank up stand? Fixtures would need to be transported in a road case(s) I'd imagine too, not permenalty attached?

What DMX controller would you recommend with the Nova scans?

thanx for the replies!

pete

• Members

If you go with intelligent lights go with something with an ELC bulb in it. They're more affordable, replacement bulbs aren't expensive, and you will never require the 1000's of hours discharge lamps provide. I used to own a ton of intelligent lights for my dj company, www.bpmmobilesolutions.com. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the novascans.

Now that the price of the american dj concept lights have dropped, I seriously consider them as well. The problem is they're are twice as much as the novascans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

QTUNER..

Looks like you have a few Chauvet Track Color Changers.. Are you happy with these? For a mid sized stage, how many do you honestly think it would take to effectivly light up the entire area like several pars would?

I'm looking heavily at those as well as other changers..

Thanks..

Archived