I have no lights...

• Members

...and I'm thinking of getting something simple for a bar band. We're trying to get some fraternity/sorority party gigs and having some lights for gigs like that would be kind of nice. It would be helpful at some of the bars around here that have minimal lighting, too. Anyway, I don't want to break the bank obviously, so I was looking at a couple of the Chauvet 4BAR systems as a starter and then working my way up from there after those are paid off. However, as I was looking at those I ran across the 4BAR Tri, which is a similar setup using 3W LEDs (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Chauvet-4BAR-Tri?sku=H71903). Has anyone used one of these yet (or are they even out yet)? Would they make a decent place to start? Or will I be better off putting together a PAR-can system from scratch?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :)

• Members

I have to agree with the above. For the $ you could do much better. I think Bill hit the nail on the head. Get yourself a few Pucks (or equiv.) and a real stand. Now you will have something that you can build off of rather than something you'll want to get rid of in a year.

• Members

Actually these tri-color 4 bars are spec'd at 3,250 lux @ 1m. A little less than the puck, but still very bright. Now if Chauvet would just add about 4 feet to the pole height they would be great. I have to agree though that the Pucks are a better option.

I'll also chime in that a couple of new stands can be had for about $100, the 4bars (I'm assuming same for tri-LED version) fit any standard stand.

If you do smaller venues then color strips are a great option too, some are quite brilliant looking (brightness and color intensity). If I did it again I would probably go this route, its less traditional looking but they do a great job of a light show.

Color rails out now that might be good, I'm trying to determine if 700-ish lux per section (8 sections a light) is enough of a wash... I might sell my 4bars and move this direction with a couple pucks out front.

• Members

That's funny... I keep seeing people talking about putting Pucks (or equiv. spots) in front, and rails type lighting in the back. I've found that the exact opposite works much better. The rails provide a decent wash across the front to light the band, and the Spots work better in the back for various patterns and eye candy.

• Members

I use my strips/rails where I can fit them.They are a great all around lighting tool.On the floor, hung,off speaker poles,inside drum racks. A couple full size ones and a couple of minis go a long ways towards easy dynamic lighting.

• Members

That's funny... I keep seeing people talking about putting Pucks (or equiv. spots) in front, and rails type lighting in the back. I've found that the exact opposite works much better. The rails provide a decent wash across the front to light the band, and the Spots work better in the back for various patterns and eye candy.

Cool... might just buy 'em as a wash then if it works... we'll see when bar season starts again. The guys dont like the old fashioned pars, too hot.

Archived