Bar band LED lighting for $1000 budget: possible?

tim_7string

• Members

Starting with nothing, you should consider the following.

3 tripods w/T bars $ 237.00 (one each downstage left and right on up center)

4 Puck RGBAWs $ 716.00 (two each downstage tripods)

1 Strip style fixture $ 199.99 (upstage tripod)

1 Obey 40 $ 199.99

1 Set DMX cables $ 80.00

Total at MAP pricing $ 1432.98

Can probably be had at or near your budget if you shop around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Another option would be 2 Chauvet 4 bars. Or similar equivalent. We used to toss one on each corner of the stage. Can be linked together via dmx ( we used a 50' xlr) and controlled via footswitch. The footswitch doesn't give you the level of control the obey 40 does, but it is way easier.

I would love some of these

http://www.microhpro.com/ledquadparmk2.html

I saw them at Axe music in Edmonton and they looked pretty slick as they fold in half.

• Members

My system that I just put together includes the following:

2 Chauvet Colorstrips: $320

2 Chauvet Colorstrip Mini's: $180

1 On Stage Truss: $200

1 Elation DMX Operator: $150 (normally these are about $200, I got one off the open items table at Guitar Center

4 Par 38 Cans plus amber gel sheet: $50

2 Chauvet Stands (used on craigslist): $50

1 Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller: $150

1 Global Trust Backdrop: $100

Total is $1200. If I HAD to stay under $100 I'd lose the Colorstrip Mini's and Backdrop, but they're pretty cool, so I'd save up to add them later.

• Members

I suspect you forgot to mention a couple hundred in DMX cables and AC distribution.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm using XLR's right now, but will be ordering the DMX's shortly, so you're right. So cut out the truss as well, and convert to regular lighting stands, and I think I'd be under $1000.

Also, I plan to spend an additional $300 or so on cases for the colorstrips and pars before I get anything else. Eventually I'd like to swap the par cans for some Pucks.

• Members

I'm surprised people dont mention the colorrails much anymore... are they out of favor?

I have the 4bars and like them but they are for small stages in dark bars (which we have a lot of up here), so I have no complaints with them in this regard. All the other suggestions here will net you a lot more brightness. Very easy to setup and get going.

For a front wash nothing beats old fashioned par38's on a stand with amber gels. Great price and performance.

Wardjames probably has the ultimate bar band starter set, the colorstrips are best bang for your buck (dont know if you need the back drop). There is some setup involved with programming the controller and pedal so you'll need some tech skills, but not a whole lot. I like Bills too but have no experience with pucks myself.

• Members

Haha you are probably right.... I got a killer deal on mine (Lumi's not chauvets) plus I am in canada

I have an obey 40 and I find it hard to program, it sits unused in favor of just using the auto, sound, and blackout settings on the footswitch. But I also have mild A.D.D. So maybe that's some of it...lol

Archived