Sign in to follow this  
WynnD

What OS are you using?

Just thought there might be people out there using old versions of windows. Is this working for you?

I had to click on 5 because I have and use computers with them. I have Win 7 in my studio, I have XP at work, I have vista on the Home computer where I also do mastering, and I have another computer with an 8 track card next to my easy chair in the living room for recording ideas running ME. The card is older and cant be upgraded to XP but works fine so i still have a use for it.

On my job I network computers so I run into all kinds of OS and linux, NP, Macs, and all kinds of other systems not listed.

Where's the Linux option?

Kubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) 64 Bit. After some tweaking I'm liking it so far. It's a bit different than Ubuntu.

WinXP on the recording setup. PCLOS on this lappy, LXDE (PCLOS) on wife's lappy and the music/radio streamer. I do still have 95, 98, ME and Win2K on disks and .

Interesting that many people have both PC's and Macs. Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to pick one and go with it...?

Not in my case. I have to have a Mac for development. I write software for musicians (mostly guitarists), and I get a LOT of people asking me for a Mac version.

Incidentally, I've got a 50% off sale at Bits du Jour this Friday. There's more information about it at my software's Facebook page here, and at my blog here.

In the blog I mention the new versions coming out, and 2 of those require a Mac.

I know that for other people that use computers professionally, they need to have multiple operating systems. e.g. Audio engineers and recording engineers often work on a Mac ProTools workstation, but have Windows at home or something like that.

For most people though, I don't see the point in having more than 1 computers. Maybe a desktop and a laptop, but that's about it.

I have used most OS that ever came out from Windows starting from 95. I have to say, I would highly suggest XP over any other OS just because I find it more stable.

Years ago I used to work for a 3D audio company, and when I would talk with audio engineers and recording engineers, they would mostly say that they preferred Windows 2000 over XP, also mentioning stability.

I suppose that it all boils down to hardware support maturing.

BSODs are almost always caused by hardware drivers. I can't even remember the last time I had a BSOD that wasn't cause by a driver.

I'm using XP SP 3,works fine except I'm getting a fair bit of noise when I open Cubase....

??? Thats not an operating system problem. Its more likely a hardware or driver problem. Maybe a latency issue. What kind of noise?

I just want to express my disappointment that Windows ME was not included among the choices. I've been using it for years and have never had a p

My thoughts on the OS's Ive used in the past

Solaris- Only used this a bit but I really liked it as it seemed very efficient

OS 400- Only used this a tad when i was learning AS400..Its pretty kool in someways but is command line and you sorta have to know what your doing to get it to do anything.. Its a mid level mainframe OS and only included it to be complete on all the OS's I have used and my opinion of them

Win 98A pretty stable OS for its time and used it primarily in conjunction with W2k in a dual boot set up. This set-up worked well and was using it as late as 2003

Win 2000- Very stable workhorse of an OS. I used this as my primary OS to do programming and to run the bulk of my programs.. I really dug all the security choices that were available.. Wasn't worth a damn at running games. Thats were 98se came in..

Win XP- Excellent OS once all the bugs were ironed out.. Maby by 2004/5. It was my goto OS as late as the 1st of this year and still want to have a dual boot of Win 7/XP for the best of both worlds. I used this OS from 2005 till may of 2010

Win Vista- Memory hog and lots of fluff and no substance. Buggy and had alot of compatibility issues for the short time i used it. Used it a few times and hasted it. Just felt so unnatural to me

Win 7- Surprisingly, MS did something decent for a change. Its still a memory hog but I actually like this OS except for 1 thing. It doesn't like older games for the most part and I do like older games. Its pretty much a hit and miss affair with older programs/games BUT games/programs that are designed for this OS run really well. There is a work around for some older games.. Its called dosbox/f-end..

Hello!

I am using window 7 since last 1 years becasue it is very user friendly with excellent features. It has a very high performance on desktop or laptop systems, which are largely constrained by I/O performance,

I am very happy after using it.

In some ways XP is better though... I like 7 too but the inescapable fact remains.. it takes 4 times much memory to boot win 7.. only takes like 250mb with xp... and the incompatibility issues on older games.. Yea.. older games as 80% of the games now adays blow..I have several games from 2001 to 2007 or so that either don't play well or at all

one of my Favorite game is a game called War In Russia and was released in '96.. Just wish the interface wasn;t so horrid (i.e. DOS).. I can use dosbox to get it to play and i do on occasion but the interface keeps me from playing it all the time

In some ways XP is better though... I like 7 too but the inescapable fact remains.. it takes 4 times much memory to boot win 7.. only takes like 250mb with xp... and the incompatibility issues on older games.. Yea.. older games as 80% of the games now adays blow..I have several games from 2001 to 2007 or so that either don't play well or at all

one of my Favorite game is a game called War In Russia and was released in '96.. Just wish the interface wasn;t so horrid (i.e. DOS).. I can use dosbox to get it to play and i do on occasion but the interface keeps me from playing it all the time

Dude. Anyone with one post advertising 'Lash Extensions' in their SIG is a pro spammer.. :idea:

DOS v3.0

Has there been an upgrade?

dos%20v%203%20scr.jpg

HAHAHAHA!!! The Good old days!! I luv it!!

Would you like a working copy of Win 3.1 to go with it?? I still have my orig disks!!! Along with Dos 5, 6, and 6.22!! Not to mention all the software to run on it!!! Anyone remember Zork?? LMAO!!

I'm fairly sure I still have my old IBM 50z (286 w/4 megs ram) in the attic - of course it still works!!!! I can't throw anything away!:facepalm:

Well Done man!! :thu::thu:

• Like 1

Windows 7 has a xp compatibility mode.... the old programs and games work very well in that.

dude. this is a DOS game and they donot run for shit in xp mode or any other kind of compatibility.. EVEN XP had trouble running this game LOL

DOSBOX runs flawless though...

I have several games that will NOT run in Win7, regardless of the compatibility...Such as the Combat Mission series of games.. I have other games that run, but just barely.. I heard that Diablo 2 doesn't run well in Win7.. Dune,Silent hunter III and IV is another example of a game that wont run in 7.. Some games , the company that made them, had to release a special vista/7 patch to make them play.. All depends on how robust the coding was, is to how they will handle 7

Ive always had a hit and miss with comparability modes in XP and Win7 OS's.. Reason a dual boot is so appealing.. Back in the day, I ran several dual boot setups.. 98se/2000 pro,98se/XP, 2000 pro/XP

I have been playing PC games for almost 12 years..Modding a game or 2..Wrote a few small games in C++/VB , installing cracks and playing copied games.. 1st thing I do after an install is to make sure the game boots ok.. then adjust the video options to what I believe my PC will run comfortable.. then remap the keys if its a FPS.. play the game a few minutes.. the readjust my setting if need be.

If I cant get them to run.. chances are.. they aren't going to.. in saying that , I have some minor successes with the win7 compatibility...so thats a plus, but its doesn't always work.. Maby 50% of the time it does

For you guys using Linux... why? Do you have special apps that run on Linux?

I tried Ubuntu for a while about a year ago, but I found that anytime I needed to pay my bills (Quicken), do some recording (Sonar), work on a spreadsheet (Excel - no one uses OpenOffice in the workplace), play my favorites games (too many to mention)... I had to boot back into Windows.... so what was the point of booting into Linux just to surf the web?

What am I missing?

I have been using Windows 7. Finally an almost perfect operating system by Microsoft
:)

I've been playing around with Win 7 for a week or so. I did a dual-boot: one for general use, and the other as a DAW.

The install for general use (web, games, etc...) works pretty darn good so far, but I have had issues trying to get my DAW software/hardware to work.

I've got Sonar Producer 6, M-Audio 2496, MOTU 828 mkII

-M-Audio card works fine.

-for the MOTU, I had to contact their tech support, and the had me change to Firewire driver to a "legacy" version. Now Windows can see the MOTU and it will play system sounds.

-Sonar recognizes the M-Audio card, but doesn't see the MOTU.

I am using Ubuntu as well as Windows 7 both. However, most of the times I use windows 7 because it is faster, easy to use and more user friendly than Ubuntu. Windows is always better than Linux whether it is for office work, playing games, watching movies, running applications or softwares. I like to play games and watching movies a lot so I prefer Windows than Linux.

Yes, I understand and agree with what you said about Windows.... but what do you use Linux for?

It was neat to mess around with, but I never really found a reason to use it on a regular basis, so I uninstalled it after a while.

I am using windows 7 for my daily use. It is very good and a advanced version of windows. Also it contains many of the advanced features as compare to other. I am very much satisfied by this.

I am using windows 7 for my daily use. It is very good and a advanced version of windows. Also it contains many of the advanced features as compare to other. I am very much satisfied by this.

Not to bitch on you, but whenever the OS topic comes up, or a win7 thread, there is usually a host of 1-2 post new timers that comment how good Windows is.... (and they never post again) Smacks of web/guerrilla marketing to me. Honestly, such underhanded attempt at manipulating the consumer makes me want to switch to mac.

Not to bitch on you, but whenever the OS topic comes up, or a win7 thread, there is usually a host of 1-2 post new timers that comment how good Windows is.... (and they never post again) Smacks of web/guerrilla marketing to me. Honestly, such underhanded attempt at manipulating the consumer makes me want to switch to mac.

actually, i think it's more the spambots/Russians who key in on certain keywords. You'll see the ad links in their signatures.

I use win7. i recently switched from vista, and 7 is a lot more stable, and faster.

I use Windows 7 and XP both. I use Windows 7 in my home pc and for office use XP is the best OS. Windows 7 is the best in look and XP is the best OS for any purpose. I like both and the themes of windows 7 are best.

I am using multiple operating system in my desktop computer which includes windows xp, windows server 2003 and windows ME, while in my laptop I am using windows 7 as it doesn't have support for windows xp.

I have always been using XP, although where i'm from you can get the latest os for free. I don't know the simplicity of XP makes me comfortable

As I mentioned I use many including 7. Vista whan it was first released was a real dog. If you do all 6 hours worth of upgrades, it runs very much like win 7 does. It is the same engine. You just need to know how to shut down all the bloat-ware and optimise the services and all and its a good OS now. I had major issues with it when I bought a computer with it and before the service packs to update it were available. It had problems with indexing, moving large files, slow to open folders and stuff like that. I have none of those issues any more. I suppose the service packs made it more like win7 so I wouldnt have an issue running win 7 or Vista for recording.

4 machines running Ubuntu Hardy (including my DAW).

1 runs Peppermint Linux OS.

1 old ass laptop runs XP for the magicjack.

Whenever I get around to sniffing SIP info, the last one will also get Ubuntu.

You know, only one of those machines blanks the screen when you Remote Desktop on it....

I am using win xp , because its very good compared to all other , other softwares are installable and supports any kind of softwares...

but win 7 does not do so...

My present DAW and also my Internet PC are XP machines. The PC I use for my business is Win 7 64 bit as that is all that is loaded onto desktops these days.

The DAW I build next will be Windows 7 as will the workstation for my business that will handle CFD analysis and also 3D CAD and modeling. Problem is that some of my old plugins may not run under Win 7 XP mode - need to try it out once it is built.

I'm using Windows 8, having better features than any other os. having good experience with using windows 8. I would like to suggest all my friends to install windows 8. Earlier I was using some other OS which is not updated. So I stongly suggest all to work on windows 8 than any other operating system. ​