Experience with EAW FR253's?

• Members

I've done a long overdue upgrade of my FOH tops. I'm now running the EAW FR253's over Meyer 650 dual 18's.

What would be the best way to set them up? I have the option of going bi-amped or tri-amped. From searching on the LAB it seems that people have a favorable opinion of the internal crossover. The manual says that it takes 600 watts rms in full range mode. I would be driving it with 900 watts.

Biamped it will take 1000 watts rms on the LF and 600 on the HF section. I can drive the LF section with 1000 watts and the HF section with 450 watts. Is that asking for trouble? I would like to go with biamping the tops so I could control the crossover setting on the LF drivers. That way I could lower the crossover point on my subs a little bit. They're currently crossed at 90hz. I would most likely go with 75 or 80 hz.

If it matters I am using 3 PLX3002's and one E&W PS2000 with one channel of the above being used for monitor duty.

With this amount of power our system will be idleing through the night. There's not many places that we require that much juice but I'd rather have my system idleing than running at the bitter edge.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

• Members

IMO, 1000w rms is too high. If somebody does something stupid... out of your control, there's not much time to stop the damage. I would stick with 600 or so.

That is the 3 way box with a 15 on the bottom, the dual 6" + 1" on the top?

Any single 15" driver should be maxed out at around 600 watts RMS.

I would stick to around 90Hz-100Hz on the 650's. That will balance well power-bandwidth wise to your top boxes.

• Members

Thanks Andy,

It actually has two 15" drivers along with the dual 6.5"s's and the compression driver. I'd run our old speakers with 500 watts per side and never even got close to pushing them so I guess that'd be a waste of power to put that much into it. Not to mention the human factor as you stated. We occasionally have some people step up to sing so you never know what could happen.

• Members

Oh, I got the models mixed up obviously.

800-1000 watts would be a safe max for that box given the two drivers there!

Oh, the other Meyer subs actually did sell already (way way way more $ than you paid for the first set!) so it looks like you did get a screaming deal for what you have.

Archived