Kelsey Mixer

• Members

Nope, the flag was a tribute to their UK orgins, the company was based in the US from the 70's IIRC, Hawthorne NJ, phased out Kelsey to start Crest Audio (amps first then mixers), then Peavey bought the remains.

I was involved as Kelsey was being retured and Crest came into being. I did their repairs on the west coast.

http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/history_2.htm

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Nope, the flag was a tribute to their UK orgins, the company was based in the US from the 70's IIRC, Hawthorne NJ, phased out Kelsey to start Crest Audio (amps first then mixers), then Peavey bought the remains.

I was involved as Kelsey was being retured and Crest came into being. I did their repairs on the west coast.

http://www.soundcitysite.com/sc_webpages/history_2.htm

Hi there agedhorse. A few years ago I acquired a Pro-club 12+2. The SN is PC9100114446. I don't know much about this mixer, and was wondering what light you could shed?

Cheers

• Members

Hi there agedhorse. A few years ago I acquired a Pro-club 12+2. The SN is PC9100114446. I don't know much about this mixer, and was wondering what light you could shed?

Cheers

The ProClubs were a slanted faceplate unit built into the flitecase. It was the first transformerless input mixer and worked great. It was simple but effective. IIRC it also was the first mixer of theirs to have an internal power supply.

• Members

hi,

i'm lookin to go a lil bigger with my mixer found an old kelsey pro series 24 chan with case, buck fifty just doin bar gigs and such don't wanna go crazy any thoughts. i thought for the size and price it seems ok and a can of contact cleaner goes a long way thanks

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I purchased a Kelsey 12-channel ProClub+3 brand new, mail odered, $650, from Manny's, circa 1982, while attending the university of oklahoma. I was amazed by the compactness, the clean output, and although the mixer was used primarily for recording music and sound for video sound editing, it served double duty in sound reinforcement. When I moved to Monterey/CA in '85, the mixer went along, and no one out west had seen a kelsey mixer! I did a fair amount of live sound mixing and acquired a 100 ft snake for ease of operation. After a few years, I had to store a lot of my gear, and when I took it all out of storage a few years later, the Kelsey's pots were all noisy. After removing the mixer from the road case and seeing that the pots were all closed back design, I became concerned until I learned how to properly clean them: simply rotate each one fully, 100 times! Sounds tedious, but that really works! While in Monterey, I purchased a used 16-channel ProClub+3 which is considerably larger than my trusty old 12 chan! The 16-chan board offered more inserts, solo features and overall, more bells and whistles, and the welcome feature of a headphone jack! (Never understood why my 12-chan lacked a headphone jack!) So, besides the lack of a headphone jack, the only other issue I have with the 12-chan mixer is that the 1/4" jacks are plastic! Other than that, my 2 kelsey boards are real workhorses!

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

I had this monstrosity.  I recorded at least half the Metal and Punk Demo's recorded in Jacksonville, FL between 1988 and 1992 on this thing. live to a Yamaha MT44 4-track, then live to a Fostex A-4 8-track reel to reel (had 4 input channels, that switched from tracks 1-4 to 5-8. That was how Fostex saved money on it.)

I installed in/out insert jacks in it.(talk about a PITA. I had this board disassembled for about 6 months and came home from my day job and worked on it all winter.)

I used to drag this crap out to people's band rooms and record their demo's in their practice rooms. I also had a rack with cheapo outboard gear.  What is funny, is one of my friends had gone into a bunch of real studios to record his band and when I recorded his band, he went -"This is the sound I wanted and never could get." Which I thought was hilarious, but it was just a crappy punk rock sound, but the funny thing is that his band had 1,000 cassettes made, and they sold them for $5 each and actually sold them all in a few weeks,  and I became somewhat of a punk rock legend locally. Tons of kids came to me wanting demo's,  so I tripled my price and they didn't bat an eye. 

Kelsey24x4-1.JPG

Kelsey24x4-1.thumb.JPG.8b2876ae9421d666f7e36da6c05c2d97.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Members

And here we are, 20years later still talking about Kelsey mixers!  I just re-acquired my Pro-club+3 mixer from my friend. I think I bought it in the mid-80s. One channel is dead (gain pot spins around, no stop), lots of scratch ones, but it works. Would like to find a user manual for it, SN starts with KPC0B-   agedhorse thanks for all the info in this thread. 
cheers all,

• Like 1

• 5 months later...