Can I use an Alesis Quadraverb GT for vocals

• Members

Im looking for a simple but good sounding effects unit to add diffrent reverbs to my vocals live and in recording and sometimes a hint of delay.Ive got a trade going with this guy for my bbe 362 for his alesis so I think its a good deal and simple unit and all I would need.But its made for guitar so will it sound bad with vocals?Ive got a old 16 track analog mixer im using only one track going into my Crown XLS-402 power amp into two 1x15 pa cabs.It sounds alright now but the EQ dosnt really give me all I want out of it so I plan to conver to rack runing the system like this.

Mic---->Alesis using the alesis as the preamp------>DOD 31 band EQ------->Crown.Dose this sound right?

Please forgive me im a guitar guy so I dont know alot about Pa's so any help would be great.Thanks

Luke

• Members

The Quadraverb would be fine for vocal effects. You won't want to use it in line though. Check your mixer for an aux send and return. It could be labelled fx send and return. You are going to want to use it that way.

Aux send to QV in, QV out to return or separate channel. Returning to a channel allows you to have more EQ and control of the sound.

Hope this makes some sense.

J

• Members

If you have access to the older version of the reqular Quadraverb(I think it was called the Quadraverb Plus way back when), connect up the midi cables and do a data dump from the Quadraverb to the Quadraverb GT. All of the presets will load into the GT as the regular quadraverb. If you want any of the GT settings back, initialize only that preset so that you keep the others which you have loaded. Remember, if you have any settings that you like on the GT settings, you will have to do a midi data dump backup because all of this info will be written over when you install the Quad settings. Rest assured, you can always get your GT settngs back by initializing the unit. If you ever want to get the quad unit presets back, you'll have to back those up via a midi data dump or just connect up the units and do the transfer all over again. I don't believe any of the Alesis literature says this actually works, but I did it with my Quad GT back in the 90's and it still works fine. As far as the guitar presets, I don't think it sounds very good, a line 6 Pod blows it away. If this Quad GT is what currently is within your budget, know that you have the option of loading other presets into it. It may be worth it just for that option. Lastly, if you're into sonic quality, these older units are very noisy in a studio environment, watch your gain structure and don't expect too much sonic purity, you get what you pay for.

hope this helps

Rocksld

Archived