Sign in to follow this  
InACanProductions

Monitor Mix off a Post fader Aux

Ok, I got a show TONIGHT, and I need another monitor mix. I've got one aux available but it's post fader. I was thinking of running the drum fill off it. I don't generally use any reverb on guitars or bass, so I can actually run the aux on those channels Pre (aux 3+4 are on the same pre/post switch and aux 3 is my reverb, I can switch those channels to pre since I don't need the verb on those channels), which will give consistant volume in the drum fill for those sources regardless of how I mix them in FOH. Then the vocals I can keep post and he'll just get the vocals riding what the FOH gets. In this situation you guys think I'm running this the right way, or should I do something else?

If thats what it is, thats what it is.

Although post fade is undesirable in FOH mixing wise, Monitor land you can go either way or both depending on your console layout and personal preference.

If you have enough channels, you can wye which ones the drummer immediately requests, and whatever other requests (if the channels are full), get the post fade send tied to the main fader (The wyed channels would still be post fade sends {I find a little piece of gaf tape either side of the fader goes a long way}, as you magically didn't inherrit a pre fade send with a wye).

Hopefully this make a bit more sense:

If you have some spare channels, you can wye some of the drum kit into those open channels (with a XLR wye cable - 'Y' Cable).

Send one channel to FOH (and effects/inserts), and the other just to the monitors. That way your FOH channels don't affect the monitors (level, eq, inserts, etc) on those channels.

The tape is just so you don't accidentily bring down/up the monitor send (you still have to have the channel fader up and un-muted).

Generally kick and snare (for most genres) would be sufficient to do this with, but if you have more open channels (hi-hat, tom drums, etc)....

ok I think I there's a misunderstanding. don't have a problem with the drum channels in the monitor, the problem is getting the drum monitor (mix) togehter using some post fader auxes. Kick isn't a problem, no verb on kick so I can asign that aux pair (3+4) to pre, same with guitars and bass, it's really just the vocals into the drum monitor that are going to be on a post fader aux. Snare would be post fader as well, not sure how much snare the drummers are gonna need in the monitor though.

I see what you're saying though, I can 'Y' the vocal channels (and snare) before the input of the board and split them to 2 inputs, then use one side of the 'Y' for FOH and one for just monitors. If I split them I don't have to worry about the fader on the 2nd channel because I can assign the aux on those channels to Pre Fader (there's a switch, it's not fixed post on every channel).

Now a concern is, if I split the source before the board, doesn't that change the input resistance of the mic to each channel and thus can change the tonal qualities of the mic, and lower the output? Don't I need some sort of Transformer splits, and isolated outputs like on Mark's Mic splitters?? I understand the concept (mainly from what I've read in this forum), but I've have no first hand expierence here so any clarification would be appreciated.

I learn something here every day, and I appreciate everything all of you have helpped me with. I'm only 24 years old, in the live sound field seriously for only about 5 years (toyed around before that for a few years), and I respect the advice that many of you with greater expierence have to share. Thank you.

Ok well I'm off to the gig in about a half hour, so I'm just gonna run the kick drum, guitar and bass pre, and the vocals and snare post and I'll see how it turns out. I had another thread up this week about live recording so I'll try to post a sample this week if it comes out good, if it doesn't then I'll use the CD as a coaster. I didn't get the clarification about the splitters, so if anyone wants to answer that it'd be cool. Untill I really know what the deal is with splitting mic signals I won't be doing it.

I have an old s-craft spirit live. I've made up 6 insert leads that allow me to use the insert jack on up to 6 channels as a prefade out (has to be wired so the channel doesn't cut out) which I then run into a line mixer for the drum fill. Learnt how to wire these leads from youtube. Laborious but works. Luckily had an unused line mixer lying around. Can't wait to get a new digital desk with a gazillion aux outs.