How do I connect effects to my Behringer Mixer??

• Members

Hi, Now I know these units arnt universally loved but Its what I've got to play with.

I want to connect a behringer ultrafex pro to my behringer pmx100 powered mixer. it has a single effects send but no return. each channel has an insert. so can I only have it on 2 channels ?? very confused, new at this PA stuff

any help appreciated

• Members

It's not at all uncommon for a mixer to not have dedicated FX returns. Doesn't surprise me at all, actually.

The insert jacks, as was stated previously, are used when you want to insert a device inline with the channel signal. Usually this is used for something like compression or EQ. Effects are usually on a seperately controlled send and return, so you can mix in however much of them you want.

From the Effects send jack, go to the input of your processor. From the output of that, go into an unused channel. The Effects control on each channel will control how much of that channels signal goes to the processor, and the volume control on the return channel will control how much of that gets back into the system. Just be careful not to turn up the effects send on the channel the effects are returned on, and you'll be fine.

Hope that makes sense.

• Members

Originally posted by ctardi

You could also go from the efx send, to the processer, out of the pro. and into a dedicated amp in, if your mixer has it, I did a search on behringer.com and it didn't show anything...

No, You can't. You've just made 1/2 the mixer worthless by doing so. You need to bring the effects back in on a channel

• Members

OK, I'm guessing it's actually a PMH1000 mixer since Behringer doesn't have anything for a PMX100.

B Adams had it right, hopefully this will explain a bit better.

Your mixer has an effects processor built in. The FX knob per channel will send that amount of signal into the on-board processor and the FX send jack. If you do not want to use your onboard effects, press the black mute button above the red fader.

Ways To use your ultrafex:

1) Use a 1/4 patch cord from the FX send on your board to one of the inputs on the ultrafex. Use another 1/4 patch cord from the ultrafex output to one of your open channels line in. Make sure that channel is not putting anything back into the FX send or you will get feedback. Adjust the fader up and down to determine the amount of effects added to the mix.

2) Using an insert cable, plug the TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) side into your insert jack for a channel. Plug the tip 1/4" plug into the input on your ultrafex, the ring into your output on the ultrafex. Yes, this can only be done on two channels.

3) The same above can be done to the power amp inserts, affecting the whole signal.

Make sense?

Archived