What the heck is this Peavey amp?

• Members

My dad called me up from a garage sale and said he found this Peavey amp for $15. At first he made it sound like maybe it a guitar head, but now I'm thinking it is a very basic PA powered mixer. However, it only has four channels and only 1/4" inputs (A & B). The speaker outputs on the back are 4 ohms, to 100watt RMS speakers. There is a 3-way toggle switch on the back for power, the middle being the off position. I can't find a year anywhere, but the serial number is: 9A-503184

My Google search didn't yield any real results. In fact, one picture I found of a PA-200 was a 12" guitar combo or something.

I figured worse case scenario, I'm out fifteen bucks, but maybe I've got something here I can find a use for.

• Members

Yep ... it's a (very) old PA mixer amp. I wouldn't be running it with very expensive speakers. There's just not the protection that there is in modern units ... that and it's old so things could go at any time. Of course you could say that about any old gear that's just been sitting around.

• Members

Thanks for the info. Any idea how old it is? Any chance you used to work for Peavey? I notice you live in Meridian, MS where this thing was made.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the darn thing now. I've got an okay PA setup. I know some guys that collect old stuff. Maybe they'll be interested.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by u6crash

Thanks for the info. Any idea how old it is? Any chance you used to work for Peavey? I notice you live in Meridian, MS where this thing was made.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the darn thing now. I've got an okay PA setup. I know some guys that collect old stuff. Maybe they'll be interested.

Don does work for Peavey. I believe he's the head of Peavey's pro audio division.

I believe that powered mixer head is circa mid 1970's. IMO: It's a pretty solid piece and a good ole war-horse. I'd take it in a heart-beat over some newer cheap plastic MIC POS. It could make a decent little practice unit for driving some basic monitors or speakers on sticks... or shop/test bench utility tester amp. The lack of XLR inputs is kind-of a drag, but what-the-heck... set it on the back deck, plug the CD player in and you'll have a decent party on the patio rig.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

but what-the-heck... set it on the back deck, plug the CD player in and you'll have a decent party on the patio rig.

Yeah, great idea... and in about 10 years it may come back in style as "vintage". Ahhh the good old days:rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by u6crash

My dad called me up from a garage sale and said he found this Peavey amp for $15. At first he made it sound like maybe it a guitar head, but now I'm thinking it is a very basic PA powered mixer. However, it only has four channels and only 1/4" inputs (A & B). The speaker outputs on the back are 4 ohms, to 100watt RMS speakers. There is a 3-way toggle switch on the back for power, the middle being the off position. I can't find a year anywhere, but the serial number is: 9A-503184

My Google search didn't yield any real results. In fact, one picture I found of a PA-200 was a 12" guitar combo or something.

I figured worse case scenario, I'm out fifteen bucks, but maybe I've got something here I can find a use for.

Not much confusion there. It is a basic old PA head from before the time the lo-impedence XLR mics became the norm. Probably early 70's or a little older if I had to guess. Certainly worth $15 if it works ok and you have any use for it. As for possible uses? Amplify a POD or V-amp,bass guitar or keyboards for practice or low level gigging.

• Members

After I was talking to him on the phone, and before I had seen it, I was hoping it was something I could use to power a couple monitors. I suppose I could use it for that, but it would be limited and a little impractical. I thought about using it as a home stereo, but there is no way to sweep channels left and right, so I'd be stuck with mono. No rush I guess.

• Members

Actually given the control layout and such, that unit is likely from the late '70s, somewhere around 78-79. It would work ok for low volume monitors, but remember it's only 100 watts total output. It might work alright for a budget keyboard monitor, or an amp for acoustic guitar with the right speakers.

• Members

That sounds like a Peavey mixer I used to own. I believe it was a Peavey XR400. Four channels with A/B 1/4" inputs, 4 ohm output, 9(?) band graph EQ. Not a bad little mixer. It served us well at the time. The friend I sold it to has replaced two of the 1/4" inputs with XLR to make it more useful. Of course he's an electronics tech, so he knows what he's doing!

Joel

• 14 years later...

Archived