Mickey Rooney live at 85!!!!!!

• Members

Tonight I had the privelage of working with truly one of the greats, Mickey and Jan Rooney, on this his 85th birthday. He is still that fresh faced kid, and she can still sing like an angel. I've two more shows tomorrow and sunday afternoon, and I can't wait.

God bless you Mickey, you still got it!!!!!!!

• Members

Actually, it's not a big show at all, but a chance to work with a legend. It's the type of show, the experience of the performer and the way the material is presented that's so inspiring.

Short story...He and Judy Garland were childhood kid actors for MGM studios back in the 1930's. They became close friends, maybe more and maybe not, but when Garland committed suicide it devistated him and from that thime on much of his energy was put into keeping her memory and honor alive. It may not all be 100% accurate, but in the film industry nothing ever is anyway. I am very good friends with another actor/stunt man who has much of the same feelings for some of the big western stars he worked his entitre (50+ year) career with as well. I know it's not 100% true, but a lot of it is and it's part of the way that industry works.

• Members

I think my timeline is pretty accurate... her first Broadway Melody was in 1937, Oz was 1939 and she was around 16-17 at that time. The reason I know is that our theatre hosted the west coast premiere of the 50th anniversary of Oz in 1989 for Dick May of MGM (classics/Turner Ent. at that time) and we hosted studio and media execs. from all over the pacific Northwest in a lavish studio party.

In 1935, at the age of 13, Garland was signed by Louis B. Mayer. Garland's first notice by studio executives came after singing "You Made Me Love You" to Clark Gable at a birthday party held by the studio for the King of Hollywood. Her rendition proved so popular that MGM placed Garland and the song in their all-star extravaganza Broadway Melody of 1938 (1937).

• Members

But they DID start with MGM much earlier than their 20's, and both were kid actors for the MGM contract pool, though they did not appear TOGETHER on screen until then. Many of the talent pool hung out together during their off-time and some remained friends for their entire careers.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Mickey was 15 when he signed with MGM.

Yes, that sounds about right... he was certainly much younger than 20 for sure;) He started in the movies around the age of 7 or 8 or so, like my friend who is a year older than Mickey and worked on several western that he was in.

• Members

I used to love Dana Cavey's impersonation of Mickey Rooney on Saturdy Night Live...."I was the biggest stahr in the wooorhld....POW.....the woooorhld!"

Some other facts about Mickey Rooney...not on his website....He was born in a log cabin in Illinois, fought the Japanese in World War I (by himself), invented the internet, and won the first Indianapolis 500 in 1850 in a Chevy Lumina.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

I used to love Dana Cavey's impersonation of Mickey Rooney on Saturdy Night Live...."I was the biggest stahr in the wooorhld....POW.....the woooorhld!"

Some other facts about Mickey Rooney...not on his website....He was born in a log cabin in Illinois, fought the Japanese in World War I (by himself), invented the internet, and won the first Indianapolis 500 in 1850 in a Chevy Lumina.

The first Indy 500 was in 1911 and won by Ray Harroun.

He ws born in Brooklyn NY. I don't think they had log cabins in Brooklyn in the 20's but it's possible.

From his website

Joe Yule Jr., also known as Mickey Rooney, was born September 23, 1920 in Brooklyn, New York.

He did win a bronze star for his service in WWII. It remains to this day his most cherised award.

• CMS Author

Close. Garland was signed in Sept. 1935, but Rooney was signed in 1934:

http://www.answers.com/topic/mickey-rooney

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001682/bio

and his own 'official' website:

" In 1934, Mickey was competing in a table tennis tournament in Los Angles and was showing off to the audience. MGM producer David O. Selznick noticed his antics. He told MGM studio chief Louis Mayer that he had found a kid that was a "goldmine" and begged him to sign Mickey to MGM. Mayer was reluctant to do so. Selznick made a role for Mickey in the film "Manhattan Melodrama," [1934] which was later made famous when notorious gangster John Dillinger was shot and killed while leaving the theater where he had been watching it. Mickey's work on the film led him to being signed to a long-term contract with MGM."

The big studios always had their talent on contract, so Rooney had to have at the least a one-film contract in 1934.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

The first Indy 500 was in 1911 and won by
Ray Harroun.

He ws born in Brooklyn NY. I don't think they had log cabins in Brooklyn in the 20's but it's possible.

From his
website

He did win a bronze star for his service in WWII. It remains to this day his most cherised award.

LIES! These are all untrue! I know my history!

In fact, when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor, Rooney was working as an astronaut in the Apollo program, so he missed Korea entirely. When he was 20 years old he was shipped off to Vietnam to fight the confederacy and became the first jet ace in US history by shooting down 5 enemy fighters...all in one day. Afterward, Mickey Rooney returned to his log cabin home in Springfield Illinois and wrote the famous novel, "To Kill a Mockingbird" and made his first color television appearance singing "Hey Jude" on the Conan O'Brien show. Coincidentally, he and Conan O'Brien share the same birthdate and were born only 2 hours apart in the same Springfield hospital and delivered by the same doctor....but that's common knowledge because of all the "switched at birth" jokes that people have made up. These days, Mickey and his wife Oprah live in Battle Creek Michigan and sell juice machines for the home shopping network.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that Judy Garland is Walt Disney's mother and is actually alive and well, living in Florida where she runs a motorcycle repair shop.

Hey, I have an idea now that we're done bickering about minor technicalities in the biography of Mickey Rooney...let's talk about live sound! :o

What kind of mic does this Rooney character use?

• Members

In fact, when the Germans invaded Pearl Harbor, Rooney was working as an astronaut in the Apollo program, so he missed Korea entirely. When he was 20 years old he was shipped off to Vietnam to fight the confederacy and became the first jet ace in US history by shooting down 5 enemy fighters...all in one day. Afterward, Mickey Rooney returned to his log cabin home in Springfield Illinois and wrote the famous novel, "To Kill a Mockingbird" and made his first color television appearance singing "Hey Jude" on the Conan O'Brien show. Coincidentally, he and Conan O'Brien share the same birthdate and were born only 2 hours apart in the same Springfield hospital and delivered by the same doctor....but that's common knowledge because of all the "switched at birth" jokes that people have made up. These days, Mickey and his wife Oprah live in Battle Creek Michigan and sell juice machines for the home shopping network.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that Judy Garland is Walt Disney's mother and is actually alive and well, living in Florida where she runs a motorcycle repair shop.

Hey, I have an idea now that we're done bickering about minor technicalities in the biography of Mickey Rooney...let's talk about live sound!
:o

:D Priceless!:D

• CMS Author

Hey, I have an idea now that we're done bickering about minor technicalities in the biography of Mickey Rooney...let's talk about live sound!
:o

I don't know, but I will say that I live a few miles from the former Mickey Rooney Tabas Hotel in Downingtown, PA. It was closed shortly after I moved to the area, but the giant likeness of his head remained on the building for several more years. Somewhat odd sight....huge building, huge head, and folks who didn't recognize him would be like, "hey, why's that giant head on that big empty building over by Home Depot?". I'd explain that it was a resort hotel, which would usually draw more confused replies, as Downington is pretty much not a pretty place. This could perhaps explain why it was closed...'ol Mickey is one helluva good entertainer, but businessman....maybe not so much. Hopefully he got out before the revenuers came looking. Could also be he spent too much time explaining exactly when he was signed to MGM and when he first worked with Judy, and his accountants used that time to rob him blind. Only he and they really know for sure, but I'm sure that I don't know whatever became of that giant Mickey Rooney head. Could be it was turned around and repainted with Michael Moore's likeness, (and considering his ego, it might be almost life-size) and ready to adorn the side of his new resort hotel. I don't know where that hotel might be, but I'm sincerely hoping it isn't Downingtown, because it wouldn't be a good place to open a hotel, and because I really dislike Michael Moore and wouldn't want either him or a giant likeness of his head so close to my own home. Then again, it would be fun to watch Moore fail, and being so close I could go there before they close the place and mock him and tell him that he's a sucky businessman but at least Mickey Rooney was a great actor.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Steve... are you competing with Terry for the literary award of the month?
:D

I'm flattered you'd even mention me in the same sentence with such a literary giant. I can't hold a candle to his novella on the other board.

Craig: sorry, no awards for littering, but I think there are for loitering. I'd love to have that giant Mickey Rooney head. Maybe you could go to some dark part of the Amazon and convince a tribe to worship Mickey as a god...that would be cool..mount that sucker up on some ancient stone temple. Then you could send Michael Moore down there and convince him that MGM in yet another sign of "the evil of capitalism and corporations" was behind the push to convert the natives to Rooney-worship. MGM is behind the effort in an attempt to get the natives to turn over their patch of rain forest so that MGM could clear cut it in order to build a new studio and exploit the cheap native non-union labor.

Whaddaya think?

• CMS Author

I'm flattered you'd even mention me in the same sentence with such a literary giant. I can't hold a candle to his novella on the other board.

Craig: sorry, no awards for littering, but I think there are for loitering. I'd love to have that giant Mickey Rooney head. Maybe you could go to some dark part of the Amazon and convince a tribe to worship Mickey as a god...that would be cool..mount that sucker up on some ancient stone temple. Then you could send Michael Moore down there and convince him that MGM in yet another sign of "the evil of capitalism and corporations" was behind the push to convert the natives to Rooney-worship. MGM is behind the effort in an attempt to get the natives to turn over their patch of rain forest so that MGM could clear cut it in order to build a new studio and exploit the cheap native non-union labor.

Whaddaya think?

I like it, and suggest you devote your life to this quest. Rename any children you admit to fathering in honor of this quest, nee crusade.....call the girls "Rooney", and boys "Mickey" and send them to the Amazon with the Giant Head, while you remain home a reclusive and enigmatic subject of many People magazine articles..."Who Is Old Steve and the Giant Rooney Head?". Meanwhile your kids can do the work of the Giant Head Mission. The natives will respect their devotion and discipline, and won't cook them for dinner for at least a week.

Archived