Recommend a 1/2 space delay unit that is stereo i/o

• Members

I'm looking for a 1/2 space unit that can do a simple no repeats delay, and has sterer input and output, and will retain the stereo image.

I thought about an Alesis Nanoverb, but the delay is a repeat delay that you cannot adjust down to no repeats, the only adjustment is for delay time. However something that size would be perfect.

It would be used for delay speakers at FOH, specifically a pair of Roland MA-8's. I'd send from the consoles stereo cue out to the delay then to the speakers (they are powered). I really like having them available as many times my mix positions are less than optimal, and I can time align them and get an idea of what the stereo imaging is like. Also, since they have multiple inputs, I can put a fb mic from stage into them for hands free communication during festivals, as well as hands free pfl.

As long as it sounds decent and is clean, and (the most important thing) it will do a no repeat delay maintaining stereo i/o is all I need. Certainly someone must make something like this for short money. A wall wart PSU is fine.

So, recommendations?

THANKS!!!!

:)

• Members

Originally posted by Glyder

This should work.

Nice little device, but I need line level in/out, headphone. I might just pick one of those up though, it is very annoying when I go to cans to have to deal with the delay in bigger venues.

• Members

It appears they are actually 1/6 of a rack space, and would be perfect except that they are no longer available. I found one place that had them, to the tune of almost $400 each (and I'd need two), a bit pricey for what I need it for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep em coming.

• Members

would 2 mono units work just as well? sharks seem like they could work. ALSO sure there are a ton of effect prosessors that have delay on them, you just need to configure them. - latlly, if you are time aligning by calculations, rather then with something like smart, or any one of the other techniqics, don't for get to conbensate for the AD/DA convertion time.

Kev.

• Members

Jeez, if you could go to a single rack space, there are a ton of simple, inexpensive choices out there.

Exactly, which is why I was hoping someone would have a good suggestion that's something about the size of a Nanoverb. I've been researching the Boss unit, and as far as I can see, it's mono in, which obviously won't work. Two mono units would work fine, and while there's tons of guitar stompboxes that do that, obviously the input sensitivity would be incorrect. Since my source is usually a +4 local monitor out, it would impact the gain structure and quality more than I'd care to have.

AFA how I align them, I do it the same way I do the system, using a phase pulse generator (the click part of a phase tester) and my God given time analysers. I actually prefer this to using SMAART or doing the math, as while those methods are great on paper, they don't take all the anomolies into consideration, and I find I will still tweak a couple ms to get it locked in.

Anyway, I appreciate all the suggestions, please keep em coming. However I think what's gonna happen is I'm gonna end up just building a small circuit that I'll install right into the master MA-8, solving the problem and eliminating another outboard unit to connect.

Archived