Audio Centron RMA 1600 specs?

• Members

Recalling from years past, I think it was something like 800 watts RMS into 2 ohms... but I'm NOT positive, because something also makes me think there were only 6 output transistors per channel which makes that rating unlikely. The memory is just too foggy.

The Audio Centron line was a pretty well designed amplifier though (for it's time) and should be easy to fix. I probably still have service manuals on those products somewhere.

[edit for impressive typo]

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

Recalling from years past, I think it was something like 8000 watts RMS into 2 ohms... but I'm NOT positive, because something also makes me think there were only 6 output transistors per channel which makes that rating unlikely. The memory is just too foggy.

The Audio Centron line was a pretty well designed amplifier though (for it's time) and should be easy to fix. I probably still have service manuals on those products somewhere.

That's a lot of power!!!!! I believe that is the older 3-space model. I had the newer 2-space RMA1601(there was also a 1651 which was identical except it had a crossover) and it was rated at 670 watts/channel @2 ohms. About 450 @4 ohms stereo,I believe.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

That's a lot of power!!!!! I believe that is the older 3-space model. I had the newer 2-space RMA1601(there was also a 1651 which was identical except it had a crossover) and it was rated at 670 watts/channel @2 ohms. About 450 @4 ohms stereo,I believe.

That's the most impressive typo I've done in quite a qhile;)

I was thinking of the 2 space unit, so the 670 watts confirms my suspician, but maybe the older unit did do 800 watts @ 2 ohms.

• Members

That's the most impressive typo I've done in quite a qhile;)

I was thinking of the 2 space unit, so the 670 watts confirms my suspician, but maybe the older unit did do 800 watts @ 2 ohms.

The 800 watts would be more than enough;) This is the older three space unit...looking through the vent, it has ten transistors per channel-so are we conservative? Years ago, we used a smaller AC unit and I was always impressed at the clarity of the sound-it was running 2 ohms/channel all the time.

Thanks for the feedback...to the bench it goes!

Kim

• Members
Originally posted by thunderpaw

The 800 watts would be more than enough;) This is the older three space unit...looking through the vent, it has ten transistors per channel-so are we conservative? Years ago, we used a smaller AC unit and I was always impressed at the clarity of the sound-it was running 2 ohms/channel all the time.

Thanks for the feedback...to the bench it goes!

Kim

Ya,its pretty sad. I've seen these,especially the older 3=space models,go for under $100 on ebay while certain brands with the beginning model letters "EP" are flying off the shelves. I know what I'd rather have.

• Members

I found the S/M, it was for an RMA-1000 which did 220 watts per channel at 2 ohms, and uses a total of 6 power transistors per channel which is pretty liberal given the date of design. It also has IMO a pretty effectively designed VI protection network.

I don't know how their model numbering scheme went though, so perhaps it's not 800 watts per channel at 2 ohms. What is the main power fuse rated at? It would need to be on the order of 15amps to support that power in the real world. Less than that and I would suspect the 800 WPC rating.

• Members

Well, I went back downstairs to check the fuse...it's 15 amps @ 250v 3 AG....then I noticed the output rating was stenciled on the back:

800 watts RMS mono bridged to 8 ohms

250 watts RMS/channel into 8 ohms

400 watts RMS/channel into 4 ohms

Lordy, I feel s-t-o-o-p-i-d!!!

Kim

Basically an okay amp, tho?

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by thunderpaw

Well, I went back downstairs to check the fuse...it's 15 amps @ 250v 3 AG....then I noticed the output rating was stenciled on the back:

800 watts RMS mono bridged to 8 ohms

250 watts RMS/channel into 8 ohms

400 watts RMS/channel into 4 ohms

Lordy, I feel s-t-o-o-p-i-d!!!

Kim

Basically an okay amp, tho?

Thanks!

That sounds more like it, though I am surprised there's not a 2 ohm rating. I wonder if there's more info available, and that maybe there's a 600-ish watt 2 ohm rating? The circuit should be able to support it, but maybe not enough thermal or transformer capacity.

• Members

That sounds more like it, though I am surprised there's not a 2 ohm rating. I wonder if there's more info available, and that maybe there's a 600-ish watt 2 ohm rating? The circuit should be able to support it, but maybe not enough thermal or transformer capacity.

Honestly, I prefer not to run at two ohms, so it shouldn't be a problem. The transformer is huge, though and it certainly doesn't qualify as a 'lightweight' amp! If I get it fixed, it would only be in a 'spare amp' context.

Kim

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I hope no one minds my re-opening this thread, but I've just got hold of an Audio Centron RMA-1000, and I have a power rating question: It's rated for at 220 rms @ 2 ohms stereo and 150-a-side @ 4 ohms. In Bridged mode it's got a rating of 440 rms @ 4 ohms. Any idea what the power is @ 8 ohms? It's not listed on the panel.

I'm looking for a backup head for my 300 watt tube head... maybe not caomparable really, but I need to know if it's going to be enough in a pinch to power my Fender (Sunn) 2x15 8 ohm cab. It's cheep, and that's a good idea!

Thanks for any info.

• Members

I hope no one minds my re-opening this thread, but I've just got hold of an Audio Centron RMA-1000, and I have a power rating question: It's rated for at 220 rms @ 2 ohms stereo and 150-a-side @ 4 ohms. In
Bridged
mode it's got a rating of 440 rms @ 4 ohms. Any idea what the power is @ 8 ohms? It's not listed on the panel.

I'm looking for a backup head for my 300 watt tube head... maybe not caomparable really, but I need to know if it's going to be enough in a pinch to power my Fender (Sunn) 2x15 8 ohm cab. It's cheep, and that's a good idea!

Thanks for any info.

Probably around 200 to 220 watts .

I've got an RMA2000 that is around 20 years old, and that thing is built like a tank. It's 2 complete amps in one case. You can bridge it, although I never tried it. We used one channel to drive four wedges, and the other channel drove a pair of side washes. (allegedly 650 watts per channel at 2 ohms.) I will say this - It was as loud as could be on stage! LOL

• 1 month later...
  • Members

okey, first sorry for my english.

now to answer all those questions, I answer you about the rma1600 3U (the older one). note: i'm not really sure if it is rma 1600 or rma 1400, because I usually don't store it just at home what means, I haven't it right in front of me now.

A friend of mine gave it to me many years ago. It was out of service. about 6 month ago, I've sent it to repair. It is operational now. The guy who fixed it told me something that I came to confirm later: you can't power it on everywhere. it uses 24A peak when it is starting. (24A!!!!)

it features: 2x 250w rms/ 8 ohm; 2x400w rms/ 4ohm.

800w rms bridged (NOT SURE NOW. i can check out later if you want.)

this unit's peak is 1400w

there's something I don't like in this unit. it is very very heavy. mora than 15KG. if you want it for a portable system, than it's not the best choice

I can't tell u more about it now because as I said I haven't it here right now. but if you want to know anything else about it, I can check it if you want.

• Members

Djankey,

Well I've gone and gotten an old Crest FA1201, and returned the Audio-Centron unit. And yes, it was heavy- but so is my Crest at around 30 lbs... but it serves, is reliable, and I think it has a good sound to it. Thanks for the offer- and if you do post I'll come see about that power at 8 ohms... I may be needing a second, backup power amp.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

sorry for onely comeing around now. as I said, the power at 8 ohms is 800w mono or 400ws stereo. i checked it. I'm needing a secound too. maybe it is a risk to run it at 2 ohm? well it has no power enough anyway. I'm geting a new speaker system. each subwoofer 300W rms / 600w nominal, each normal speaker 200W rms / 400w program. 4ohm each cabinet. that would be something around 2x600w rms / 2 ohm, but I don't even know if it's ready to run at 2 ohm. there's nothing mentioned about it.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Guys,

I know very little about this stuff; I built a Heathkit 14W amp and an Eico 100 w stereo reciever about a hundred years ago (can you say "paint by number")! Anyway, now we race Miatas. My church has a RMA-1600 powering some huge speaker cabinets through an Eclipse Audio Centron AMC-8 mixer board. One chan sounds excellent and the other somewhat muted. Also, I cannot discern any stereo, just really good high fidelity from the one speaker, and the same content but somewhat muted from the other.

Is there an automatic answer for this? Is there a button I should push? Help!

Would the problem be more likely in the amp or the mixer? What do I do after I vacuum all the dirt out?

Thank ya'll. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

David (dummy)

Archived