Modifying Midas Venice DO to pre fader

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

auxes or direct out or both?? pre fader and pre eq?

it's a pretty simple mod, well 2 mods

the hardest part is opening the mixer up!!

in white silkscreen inside you will see pre post lablaeled

its as simple as cutting the foil path and using bus wire to reconnect to pre, you need to put a meter on the foil path after cutting to make certain you cut it all the way (or it will be ugly)

i have most of the paperwork if you need it. just let me know which mods.

• Members

sorry i missed the DO portion....

I have done several mods on the venice.

all the work can be done via bottom of the PCB

in this case open the bottom, and locate "direct out"

there will be 3 connection - just cut the foil and connect it to the pre (all labled)

cant do it to the stereo channels though only mono

good luck

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Why do I think you've never done this before, or even seen a venice? Oh well, thanks anyway. I'll e-mail Midas as I guess I should have in the first place.

Oh for fuck's sake, Dan's a Midas dealer, I'm guessing he's probably worked with the cheapest console in their line, to say the least. It's not like the Venice series is exotic, or even uncommon. Anyway, he's just answering your question the best he can, and he even offered to send you more information if you wanted it. He wasn't the least bit condescending in his posts, so quit being a dick. I don't know competely what your problem is with Dan, or his with you, only that you have some personal and professional differences, but sometimes it gets a little ridiculous. After all, it's just an internet forum. Dan's only fault in this thread was not reading everything completely, but you turned it into yet another bitch-fest.

Maybe you should just e-mail Midas, instead of risking getting a response from someone you don't want to talk to...

Or you could just open up the console and see if it's as Dan described before you start implying things. :rolleyes:

OK, rant over. Sorry, guys.

• Members

Dan's a Midas dealer, I'm guessing he's probably worked with the cheapest console in their line, to say the least.

One would think so, but since he didn't even know that the stereo channels didn't have DO's, yet claimed to know the mod indepth makes one wonder. I've never been inside one, but I know the stereo channels don't have DO's.

• Members

Yeah, but speaking from experience with other things, sometimes you just don't notice those things while you're doing them. I can see having the console open, soldering connection after tedious connection, and when you get to the stereo channels, and see on the PCB that they don't have the same markings, just skipping them and going on to the next ones that do have the markings, while never thinking about it or looking at the rear panel to see that the output doesn't exist, just knowing that you can't do the same thing to those channels that you did to the other ones. And if the mod is for someone else's console, he might never have noticed. Even if it was for him, it seems like the stereo channels would seldom be used for an application that requires a direct output, thus once again never thinking about it.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but if it was me, that's the way it would have been. I'm an idiot like that. :D

• Members

One would think so, but since he didn't even know that the stereo channels didn't have DO's, yet claimed to know the mod indepth makes one wonder. I've never been inside one, but I know the stereo channels don't have DO's.

Man, what a dick...

Dan said you couldn't do the mod on the stereo channels... duh, what part of that didn't you understand.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Man, what a dick...

Dan said you couldn't do the mod on the stereo channels... duh, what part of that didn't you understand.

know whats great Andy, nick used to bother me, now it just makes me laugh, and i realize some peoples Mom just forgot to teach them how to be a decent Human, and i feel bad for him.

But hey he's right, i've never done the direct out mod, only the aux mods on the venice, so who am i to spout accuarate info about his thread, I never even think about direct outs as i never use them in live apps. i just remember the note Dennis at midas sent me that stated you cant do the mod on the stereo channels so i thought id include it.

more times than not my posts are not just to help the poster (ecspecially in this case) but for the people lurking now or down the road (search) who may need the info.

But hey Nick! ya you.....i forgot one part of the mod,

1) put a ground lift adapter on the venice and plug it in,

2) step in a bucket of water

3) see how safe your grounding methods turn out

a million kissed buddy! :wave:

• Members

Dan never said he'd done that mod, he said he'd done "several" mods on the Venice. Would you rather the thread sit unanswered, or have Dan answer with what he knew, which seems to be what you wanted to know, except for this business about stereo channels.

BTW, I'd rather see Dan post about a mod that he hasn't done, but has seen, and knows how to do, than see you post about your dubious electrical practices. I'm just saying...

• Members

No he didn't actually say he had done it, he said:

it's a pretty simple mod, well 2 mods

the hardest part is opening the mixer up!!

in white silkscreen inside you will see pre post lablaeled

Implying he'd done it. When informed that there were not DO's on the stereo modules, he then had the opportunity to fess up, but still allowed the ruse to continue.

Had he said something like "well I haven't done the mod, but from what I understand from Midas you...." then we would not be where we are.

But of course his pond dwelling fanclub will defend him to the death!!!!!!

It matters not to me either way.

• Members

Had he said something like "well I haven't done the mod, but from what I understand from Midas you...." then we would not be where we are.

And we'd never have to worry about worry about being where we are again if you'd just grow up...

Or go away...

• Members

How often do you use Do's outs in a live situation? I never check wether a board has DO's on every mono and stereo channel. Lighten up bro. As has been mentioned he is a dealer and I'm pretty sure that he's touched that board to say the least. I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis down at Midas hasn't done the mod. Just because sombody's never done something does not mean they don't know how to do it or haven't seen somebody do it. You take all the "laid-backness" out of most of the threads you participate in. If you're gonna argue with somebody atleast do it intelligently, not like a bratty child who didn't get his way, and now that I think about it I don't just mean that for you. Happy new year nick, and to everyone else for that matter. Thank you for all the help in sticky situations:thu:

• Members

I'm willing to bet Midas knows the stereo strips don't have DO's.

The point is I specifically asked right from the get go if anyone had done the mod, and Dan gave the imression he had, and not until caught with his pants completely off did he actually admit he hadn't. Like I said, had he come clean from the get go and said that he hadn't done it, but that his info said this and that, we wouldn't be here. But as usual Dan had to come off as the be all and end all of the big fish, and thus got called for what he is.

Can't take the heat don't stick your head out of the pond.

• Members

Originally posted by Audioeast

more times than not my posts are not just to help the poster (ecspecially in this case) but for the people lurking now or down the road (search) who may need the info.

That's the best approach to posting. I'm sure many appreciate that Dan.

Happy New Year!

Carey

Archived