Mackie P.A Setup Help - Foldback + Subs?

• Members

Hi, I need some help setting up my PA, I have all mackie except 1 extra foldback wedge a JBL

- 2 x 1801 Subs and 2 x 1530's for FOH

- 1 CFX12 mixer

- 2 x SRM450's and 1 JBL EONG2 for foldback

I have 2 main q's , how do I connect the subs and how do I connect the foldbacks

1)- How do I run the subs? from which output from the CFX12 mixer? It has 3 Main outputs (of the 3 pin variety) - L, R and S(75 htz sub out)

So does the S take care of the subs and L and R for speakers i.e. do I run 1 lead from the S Sub out to the first 1801 sub, then link to the next sub and run the 1530 speakers from the L and R.

or, do I run only from the L and R straight to the Subs , then to the 1530 speakers ? (I think this one)

2) How do I connect the 3 Foldback wedges - 2 srm 450's and 1 JBL eon?

I have 4 sub outs (subgroup?) or 2 auxilary sends, which of these? (theyre all single pin(?) like a guitar lead, not 3 pin)

Do I use 3 seperate leads from 3 of the sub outs to the 3 foldbacks?

or do I use the aux sends, 1 to the jbl and 1 to a 450 then link that to the next 450? (I think this might be the answer as there is volume controls on the instrument channels for AUX1 and AUX2)

I understand these are probly very noob questions, but any help is appreciated.

• Members

This is how to connect the 1801 subs and the 1530 speakers: Go from L and R 3 pin out (the 3 pin is actually called XLR) to the 1801's input. Go from the 1801's Hi Pass output into the 1530's input. You can now balance the sound between the 1801 and the 1530 by adjusting the volume on the back of the 1801.

As for monitors. You should connect them to the Aux1 and Aux2 outputs on the mixer. Connect the SRM450 to one of the Aux'es and then connect the other SRM450 to the output (link) of the first one. Connect the EON to the other Aux. You will need adaptors to go from "single pin" (which is actually called 1/4" jack) to XLR- male.

By the way, thats a REALLY kicking little system you got there. Congrats!

Hope this helps.

• Members

I would second the advice given and also add 2x things: 1 is that the aux sends are prolly balanced and you can use 1/4 TRS (tip ring sleeve) to XLR cable between board and speaker and 2 is that you really should add 2x dual 31 band EQ's between the Main L&R outs and AUX 1&2 outs to their respective speakers. Do a search as for what is recommended (I'd say DBX 231 or the Peavey with the feedback locator (not a feedback destroyer though)).

Sounds like a nice band system you have there. The board will be the first thing you'll outgrow but the speakers are pretty versitile and you can expect lots of use from them. Unfortunately the CFX mixers make the user use the subgroups (RE-TARD-ED!!) and only have 2 pre-fade aux outs. The best thing about the mackie boards (I have 4) is the manual. The concepts in it are worth the read alone, 1604VLZ manual has a lot of cool tips and trix in it to get the most out of any board. Good luck with the system!

p

• Members

Originally posted by KPAudio

This is how to connect the 1801 subs and the 1530 speakers: Go from L and R 3 pin out (the 3 pin is actually called XLR) to the 1801's input. Go from the 1801's Hi Pass output into the 1530's input. You can now balance the sound between the 1801 and the 1530 by adjusting the volume on the back of the 1801.

Ok, XLR, got it. Yup the balance on the back of the subs, cool, I'll leave it at halfway(normal) to start with and go from there. Thanks

As for monitors. You should connect them to the Aux1 and Aux2 outputs on the mixer. Connect the SRM450 to one of the Aux'es and then connect the other SRM450 to the output (link) of the first one. Connect the EON to the other Aux. You will need adaptors to go from "single pin" (which is actually called 1/4" jack) to XLR- male.

ok 1/4" jack, got it. Yeah, thats how I thought it might work through the AUX'es and then adjust the volume of each instrument(for the foldback) on the desk(aux volumes) yup, thanks for that. I do have the 1/4 " to XLR leads, too.

By the way, thats a REALLY kicking little system you got there. Congrats!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, it did help and yeah it should be a good sound. Its actually a culmination of 2 seperate rigs - I own the 1530s and a sub and my mate has the 450s a sub and the JBL. We're getting together for a jam coz another friend has just got himself a new drumkit, bit of a reunion jam. Should be fun. I havent gigged or used my PA for a couple of years, cant beleive I forgot how to set it up:freak:

But thanks for the reply and the confirmation:)

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

I would second the advice given and also add 2x things: 1 is that the aux sends are prolly balanced and you can use 1/4 TRS (tip ring sleeve) to XLR cable between board and speaker and 2 is that you really should add 2x dual 31 band EQ's between the Main L&R outs and AUX 1&2 outs to their respective speakers. Do a search as for what is recommended (I'd say DBX 231 or the Peavey with the feedback locator (not a feedback destroyer though)).

thanks for the reply, too. I will be using 1/4" jack to XLR cables to go from aux sends to foldbacks. I assume thats the same as TRS to XLR.?

I have 1 dual 31 band EQ, its a Behringer Ultracurve pro. I was going to leave it at home. It is just one jam session for now, we'll see if it goes beyond that whether to start using for FOH or to invest in another one(or another 2 and ditch the behringer or whatever).

BTW whats your advice on this, should I hook up the EQ for the FOH speakers? I was thinking for 1 jam its probly just another thing to tweak and the system will sound fairly decent just on its own.

Is the Behringer worth using for the jam/keeping and using later or got rid of?

Sounds like a nice band system you have there. The board will be the first thing you'll outgrow but the speakers are pretty versitile and you can expect lots of use from them. Unfortunately the CFX mixers make the user use the subgroups (RE-TARD-ED!!) and only have 2 pre-fade aux outs. The best thing about the mackie boards (I have 4) is the manual. The concepts in it are worth the read alone, 1604VLZ manual has a lot of cool tips and trix in it to get the most out of any board. Good luck with the system!

p

thanks again. Yeah I never did figure out the subgroup thing. I gigged for 4 years in a duo, using a behringer mixer and eq with the mackie foh and only just got the mackie board a couple of months before we stopped( 2 years ago now), never did suss the mackie desk out properly.

• Members

I'd definitly keep the Behr EQ around for wedges (I have a bunch I use but don't tell anyone, they work great for my app). FOH can go without or use the little 9 band on the board. When our band gets together for practice I just set 2x wedges on either side of the room and everyone gets the same mix, bass and keys go in as well. The guitarist uses this small peavey bandit from 85' which helps cut down on volume though the whole system can get loud.

p

• Members
Originally posted by Remedy

Hi, I need some help setting up my PA, I have all mackie except 1 extra foldback wedge a JBL

- 2 x 1801 Subs and 2 x 1530's for FOH

- 1 CFX12 mixer

- 2 x SRM450's and 1 JBL EONG2 for foldback

I have 2 main q's , how do I connect the subs and how do I connect the foldbacks

1)- How do I run the subs? from which output from the CFX12 mixer? It has 3 Main outputs (of the 3 pin variety) - L, R and S(75 htz sub out)

So does the S take care of the subs and L and R for speakers i.e. do I run 1 lead from the S Sub out to the first 1801 sub, then link to the next sub and run the 1530 speakers from the L and R.

or, do I run only from the L and R straight to the Subs , then to the 1530 speakers ? (I think this one)

2) How do I connect the 3 Foldback wedges - 2 srm 450's and 1 JBL eon?

I have 4 sub outs (subgroup?) or 2 auxilary sends, which of these? (theyre all single pin(?) like a guitar lead, not 3 pin)

Do I use 3 seperate leads from 3 of the sub outs to the 3 foldbacks?

or do I use the aux sends, 1 to the jbl and 1 to a 450 then link that to the next 450? (I think this might be the answer as there is volume controls on the instrument channels for AUX1 and AUX2)

I understand these are probly very noob questions, but any help is appreciated.

thanks
:)

And the biggest argument for getting powered cabs is supposed to be simplicity for those lacking knowledge.:freak::wave:

Archived