What are the basic components of a PA system?

• Members

What do I need if I'm just buying stuff seperately? I'm planning on gigs like private parties and nothing bigger than a local battle of the bands kind of show (less than 200 people, say?).

I was with a band where one guy took care of all of this stuff, but now I'm paying heavily for my ignorance and lack of curiousity, as I now have nothing to gig with. I'm trying to get a band with two guitarists, a bass, and a drummer going (high hopes), and we need a PA system, but, like with most garage bands, budget is a big point. We've got mics, but what else do we need?

• Members

This should cover the basics.....sit down.

Then again, you can do a search and find plenty of banter amongst those wishing to do it, and sadly IMO, actually trying to do it, alot cheaper.

The #1 rule to always remember IMHO:

"Buy once, cry once"

And away we go.....

Tony S.

**on edit:

There are a few things listed in that spreadsheet that will not be required by your band, and this is certainly not the cheapest route, nor the most expensive. It is realistic for a "serious" club band.

• CMS Author

Lots of good advice here.

Always buy only when you know what you're buying, why you need it, and that you've got the best *value* for your money. Keep resale, service and usability in mind at all times....it does you no good if you can't get the rig into the second-floor venue because you work alone or the sub is wider than the door, or the unit fails and nobody nearby services it, or you spent money for something that has no resale when you decide to upgrade.

• Members

One thing needs be added: mics--> board--> EQ--> amps--> speakers.

Anything not in the above chain is optional; the EQ is a must because there are venues where you'll NEED it to kill feedback.

Originally posted by ctardi

You didn't add your signature...I think that says it best.

Or something like that.

Archived