Soundtech - any good?

• Members

I've seen quite a few of them around, used by karaoke guys and party DJ's. They sound pretty good for that application.

I bought an empty Soundtech 15" box from a karaoke guy a few years back. I can't speak for how it sounded with stock drivers, but the box itself was heavier than {censored} and built like a brick {censored}house.

C7

• Members

The "PS" series amps have a decent reputation ( I love my PS802)

Sorry to hijack a bit, but I'm curious about these PS amps, particularly the PS800 vs. the PS802. Both one rack space (nice) and light (~15lbs - nice!) and the same power (400W/ch @ 4ohms), but what's the difference between the two and how are they?

I have heard their cabs and was not impressed (though I likely heard some lower end models)

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

Sorry to hijack a bit, but I'm curious about these PS amps, particularly the PS800 vs. the PS802. Both one rack space (nice) and light (~15lbs - nice!) and the same power (400W/ch @ 4ohms), but what's the difference between the two and how are they?

I have heard their cabs and was not impressed (though I likely heard some lower end models)

I kind-of thought the PS800 is a 2U amp?

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Nope. Everything above the PS800/802 is 2-space. The difference between the 00 and 02 models is simply that the 20 models are a newer version.

eh... maybe I was think of the STX series.

I was pretty sure there's a Soundtech something 800 that's 2U.

• Members

Well, I did a number on james' thread...sorry 'bout that.

The only difference I can see between the ps800 and ps802 is the 800 doesn't appear to have limiters (i.e. channel volume knobs at front).

I do wish it had speakon outputs rather than banana though. Now I have to buy banana cables --> speakon for it OR get a couple of these (do they work?)

246863.jpg

Guest Anonymous

In addition to wishing they were equipped with Speakon jacks:

I wish the clip lights weren't so small and were placed in a easier to see location.

• Members

Originally posted by Singin' Dave

The only difference I can see between the ps800 and ps802 is the 800 doesn't appear to have limiters (i.e. channel volume knobs at front).

The early model 800's had the channel attenuators on the back of the amp. Some later versions of the 800 have them on the front. The 802 has 'em on the front. I have all of these versions and haven't noticed any difference in performance.

I've haven't seen an 800/802 with speak-ons.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Kennykeys

The early model 800's had the channel attenuators on the back of the amp. Some later versions of the 800 have them on the front. The 802 has 'em on the front. I have all of these versions and haven't noticed any difference in performance.

I've haven't seen an 800/802 with speak-ons.

I'm of the impression that the 800's were principally designed for military applications and the 802's were developed later-on intended for SR applications?

If so, maybe the military function was better suited to knobs in the back... I dunno?

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

If so, maybe the military function was better suited to knobs in the back... I dunno?

Or maybe it was just one of the styles of the time.

QSC Series One amps had the attenuators in the back also....and I know I've seen others.....

Sometimes touted as "installation"amps since you're gonna set 'em and forget 'em. (Or make all adjustments from your preamp.)

For my live sound use (where an amp might be used for ever changing duties), I find that knobs in the rear are a pain in the rear!

• Members

Adjustments in the rear (or inaccessable to the user) is definately a big advantage with amps intended for installationa nd anywhere else that you need to keep folks from screwing with things.

If you knew how many service calls I have made over the years due to fingers adjusting things thatthe fingers should have left alone... even when told "hands off"...

Archived