Any information BFI Systems Bullfrog PA Speakers??

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

Yet another smaller builder of the late 70's and 80's... average stuff for an average price.

The ones I've been around were decently constructed boxes of OSB with Eminence Delta woofers and Eminence titanium drivers. MTS Cases blew out their remaining factory inventory about 2-3 years ago at amazing prices.

• Members

Those the big monsters that weigh about a ton?

My buddy has a pair left over from a PA rig that had several channels fail. We now use the pair of BFIs on the bottom, daisy chained to a pair of Avatar 15" loudspeakers on poles just above. That also gets us to the 4ohms the amp want to see. That combination sounds pretty damned good with the BFIs apparently getting some ground couple effect or something like it for the low end. Good bottom end from the BFIs for the type of music being played and with the Avatars on poles with the horns at about ear level, or a bit above we get good top end too.

Alone the BFIs sound ok, not great but better than many other loudspeakers. They certainly won't be overly hyped at the upper end.

• Members
Originally posted by daklander

Those the big monsters that weigh about a ton?

My buddy has a pair left over from a PA rig that had several channels fail. We now use the pair of BFIs on the bottom, daisy chained to a pair of Avatar 15" loudspeakers on poles just above. That also gets us to the 4ohms the amp want to see. That combination sounds pretty damned good with the BFIs apparently getting some ground couple effect or something like it for the low end. Good bottom end from the BFIs for the type of music being played and with the Avatars on poles with the horns at about ear level, or a bit above we get good top end too.

Alone the BFIs sound ok, not great but better than many other loudspeakers. They certainly won't be overly hyped at the upper end.

Well,they had a lot of models. Some small and light, some large and heavy.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Well,they had a lot of models. Some small and light, some large and heavy.

Yeah, I know that but the OP's description kind of fit the ones we use with the 15"ers and the wide dispersion horns. I'm guessing about 2x2x3 in size and gotta weight near 80lbs.

• Members

20+ years ago I bought two BFI 15" + horn floor monitors. I still have them and use them for practice. They are lightweight and well made. They are made of plywood, and they are a shallow design.

Maybe 6 months after I bought them, my glam rock hair band was traveling from Memphis to spend a year in Los Angeles, so I bought two of the BFI dual 15" scoop design bass bins. They were also lightweight plywood, and they were very nice cabs. I loaded them with JBL E-140's, and they served us well for close to 6 years. Then I sold them for some reason.

But I kept the floor monitors. I like them. They were cheap, but they have a quality about them that I like--They are LIGHTWEIGHT. Now that I'm in my 40's, cabinet weight has become an issue.

I love those BFI's!

• Members

I bought a set of tops and subs from them when they were having their closeout sale. In fact, I just used them a couple of days ago for a club gig and I got plenty of compliments about the sound. I think that the subs were the real winner that night though -they kicked HARD. I have their smaller trapezoid series, but they still have some weight to them. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

You consider 80lbs to be mammoth ? Seems pretty ordinary to me.

Yeah, I do, especially when compared to my Avatars with 15"ers and horn. Though about the same height and width the depth is less but they weight in at under 50lbs. And the BFIs may weigh more than the 80lbs guessed at. Next time I'm around them I'll see if I can find a way to weigh them.

Archived