Who coined the phrase "FOH"?

• Members

Good Question!

The only thing I've found has already been alluded to.

The term does appear to originate in the theater, as indicated by this quote from an Aussie theater glossary webpage :

"Front of House Abbrev. to FOH. Any part of the theatre in front of the proscenium arch.

Front of House Lighting -Lights placed in front of the proscenium arch. Only generally introduced in the 1870s. Previously - through the candle chandelier and gas ages - all stage lighting came from above or to the side of the stage. Also Ante-Pros Lighting.

Front of House Manager -The staff member in a Theatre responsible for the audience and Front of House facilities, such as the bars, concessions, programs, and ticket selling."

Looks like that's where Sweetwater got part of the definition for their glossary too:

"FOH

Abbreviation for Front of House. This distinction comes from theater work where Front of House is any part of the theatre in front of the proscenium arch. In concert and PA applications it is generically used to describe anything in the audience area. Specifically the main, or house mixing position is referred to as the FOH position, which is meant to differentiate the main house mixer from the monitor mixer normally located to the side of the stage."

But uhhh.....no, I don't know the answer. :)

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Who coined the phrase, "coin the phrase"?

Just guessing here, but I would say this goes back to the days where private citizens would often mint their own coin from gold and silver. To "coin a phrase" would be to solidify it as a specific descriptor, to make it part of the common vernacular.

I'd be interested to see if there is evidence to support this or other theories of "coined the phrase".

Archived