Ross "comercial series" Fane, plastic cabinets - comments

• Members

I picked up a couple 15" + horn Ross plastic cabinets, very light weight, very short rat fur covering, aluminum extrusions on the edges, they need new horns but seem very solid for being this light, and apparenty had/have Fane drivers in them - any comments? I tried them in the garage and they seem loud enough, no way to really tell without a little space to try them out in. Intersting they have two-piece handles on the side of the cabinets, plastic for the box and actual cast aluminum for the hand-grab piece. $125 for the pair.

comments/criticisms?

C.

• Members

I only had one experience with Ross.This local singer,and I use the term loosely, bought a Ross PA.The job was for 4 weekends and 3 of the 4 weeks there was a major equipment failure.Twice the mixer failed and one speaker went kaput.It might not be that way now but it got my attention.At least it was his gig.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarharv52

I only had one experience with Ross.This local singer,and I use the term loosely, bought a Ross PA.The job was for 4 weekends and 3 of the 4 weeks there was a major equipment failure.Twice the mixer failed and one speaker went kaput.It might not be that way now but it got my attention.At least it was his gig.

I've used quite a bit of Ross stuff over the years. Some of it is really durable. Their MTA1200 power amp is a hidden gem out there. 600/CHANNEL @2 OHMS and weighs about 16lbs. Tough as nails, too! Have you seen some of the prices that some of the old Ross guitar pedals bring? And most of their speakers are decent, solid lower-end stuff with typical Eminence drivers, good boxes, etc.

• Members

That may have been an isolated experience and it was several years ago,it was also the one and only time I was around a Ross system.The guy who had it was not the sharpest knife in the drawer if you know what I mean so it could have been user error.I was only a hired hand.

• Members

Well, the knife is pretty sharp here.. at least enough to get into trouble.

But wow. I'm impressed now (also not very experienced with PA).

2 new lenses and Eminence 1001 drivers later - these things kick ass! probably around 30 lbs each, just hooked up to my dinky aiwa stereo.... they sound pretty good in my living room. I'll find out what happens with a real amplifier and a band next week maybe.

C.

Archived