Can I make a subwoofer from old peavey black widow bass cabinet for PA

• Members

I have an old Peavey cabinet with a 15 inch black widow. I was thinking of using this as a sub for kickdrum and bass, or just kickdrum, for live sound application for a cover band that plays small to medium sound rooms in addition to my own bass amp. The power amp/head has been taken out. Would this be able to amplify a kick drum loudly if I powered it up?

Thanks!!

• Members

I have an old Peavey cabinet with a 15 inch black widow. I was thinking of using this as a sub for kickdrum and bass, or just kickdrum, for live sound application for a cover band that plays small to medium sound rooms in addition to my own bass amp. The power amp/head has been taken out. Would this be able to amplify a kick drum loudly if I powered it up?

Thanks!!

Yep, it will work. And no, it won't be very loud.

• CMS Author

It's from a 300watt bass amp. I'm wondering if it's worth it. What if I change the speaker? Don't have money for an active sub just yet. Any more suggestions with power etc would help. Thanks again!

300w would obviously be a good starting point, and I wouldn't go crazy increasing power.

The limitations to this idea are that the box is designed to to be a fullrange, not subwoofer, cabinet. It also is probably designed with portability in mind as a combo amp. Also, in general a 15" subwoofer is not going to set any seismic records even if the box is tuned for low extension. You'll get the impression, if not the chest thump, of a kick drum being there.

Let's put it this way, if you can do it on the cheap, go for it, since any sub is usually better than no sub.

Do you have a crossover to divide the signal from your mixer to the sub amp and the mid-high amp?

• Members

No crossover...was just going to send a signal from front of powered mixer to

an amp powering speaker. I know it this is really low end but it's just for a month or so. I suppose without a crossover I'd get a lot of click/mid from kick drum.

BTW Thanks soo much for the input!

• CMS Author

No crossover...was just going to send a signal from front of powered mixer to

an amp powering speaker. I know it this is really low end but it's just for a month or so. I suppose without a crossover I'd get a lot of click/mid from kick drum.

BTW Thanks soo much for the input!

Depending on placement and other factors, you could end up with the sub cancelling out the mid-highs at certain frequencies and boosting others. If things sound weird that's what's happening. Not guaranteed to occur, just a potential pitfall to be aware of.

• Members

Yes, you can use it as a subwoofer.

Yes, it will sound like crap if you don't use a crossover to limit it's frequency range.

No, you cannot do this with an EQ very successfully.

No, it is NOT necessarily a 300 watt woofer. It's a 300 watt combo AMP. Check the markings on the woofer and ask what that particular woofer's specs are over at www.peavey.com pro audio forum.

No matter how fund limited you are, you can always pick up a usable crossover cheap. Even the Behringer CX2300 (2310?) works fine as a sub to tops splitter for $80 new, $50 used, unlike most of the other cheapee under $150 crossovers. I used one for 5 years til I got my dbx DRPA.

Boomerweps

• 13 years later...
  • Members

I remember those boxes. In general the woofer in the box will have a 4 ohm rating. Be sure to see what woofer is in the box before you chose a amp to drive it.  Peavey used a woofer that had a wider frequency range for the bass cabinets but it should be fine in the 45hz to 100hz range you'd be running it in.  As others have stated you'll get what you get out of it. A amp that gives 350 watts at 4 ohms or so ( if it is a 4 ohm woofer in the box ) with a 40 to 45hz low cut and 100hz high cut crossover built in should be fine. 

Post a picture of the cabinet so I can see it. I was using Peavey stuff for 30 years or so. Also look for the manual at Peavey's site. 

Archived