How much to rent a PA system in your town?

• Members

Me too!!

I can retire from my day gig in 3 years if I choose to, so starting a sideline company to supplement retirement was the goal. I am hoping to make it more profitable and move to a higher level by then. I didn't start it with a need for immediate ROI, just the thought that I could make it profitable in a number of years. So far so good....

I have true empathy for those that HAVE to rely on sound for a living. I am hoping to generate $10-15K annual income after 5 years or so of growth. If I had to support my lifestyle and family on that alone, it would be sad.

It's not a bad second career/hobby/vanity business but is far from a good way to make a living unless you pursue it earlier in life and with a passion. I am more of an old musician that likes to keep a finger in the pie.

I have true admiration for the folks that manage to have successful, lucrative careers in music. AH, Mark, Scovi, Dave Rat, and others...I salute you. :wave:

• Members

I wanted a better light show so we got projectors, along with the Martins. This took off to be a rental company as in the 80s we stockpiled gear. Now I don't get to use my toys as the cost of transpotation, and flights have changed. Now we have a good band, but can't haul the gear due to fuel cost, and time. We need a network for gear so travelin that won't kill us in the wallet. PA across america would be cool with bands. You come here, we go there. Use ours we use yours. If we can do this for bands it's better than renting.

• Members
The short answer is that when we had $7K in gear, the bands had better PA's than we did, so they did their own sound. The guys with $100K+ investments didn't mess with this sized work. You have to start somewhere. We picked an entry point that most club providers were willing to work for and started there.

The longer answer is that if no body has ever heard your work, why pay you more than the other known guys that will work for that. We have to establish that we produce results superior to the competition. (Thats the phase we are in for the rest of this year before we go up on price.)

At the club level I have a lot of competitors. At the next level up there are very few local competitors but they are a LARGE step up in gear quality and quantity. My business plan is to prove our worth, increase our inventory and size, and be the in-between niche company for the better club gigs and low end bigger shows.

We have already proved our worth, are increasing the inventory each month, and worth of mouth is getting out. Gross revenue is up, debt ratio is improving, and things look good long term. Now I just have to finish this growth phase so we have enough gear in house to bid the larger shows. I enjoy club work and will NEVER abandon it totally. I don't like corporate work at all. I have to build my own market after I build our name.

Why do I make $200 on $50K? I ain't smart.....but I like providing sound!!

As Mark often points out, you have to have a business plan. I have a plan, but it's just not a good one. ;-)

Yes the sound, the sweet sound of good gear.

Archived