peavey sp2g

• Members

I have a chance to pick up a used pair of peavey sp2g speakers (about 10 yrs old). These would be used for mains for a 6 piece swing band. Question is, are these good for this purpose if the price is right? We only need to use our own sound ocasionally, most venues will have sound provided.

• Members

I have a chance to pick up a used pair of peavey sp2g speakers (about 10 yrs old). These would be used for mains for a 6 piece swing band. Question is, are these good for this purpose if the price is right? We only need to use our own sound ocasionally, most venues will have sound provided.

The SP-2Gs are great speakers....wait I'm the one selling them.....I am biased. Welcome to HC forums. There is a lot of great info here.

OK people, what are your thoughts on SP-2Gs? We used them for a three, sometimes 4 piece rock cover band for small indoor (50 to 100 people) and occasional small outdoor gigs (same number of people). They have always done right by us. :thu:

They were paired with JBL JRX118s. We moved our mid/horns to EON15 G2s to save space and our backs. We were able to eliminate the amps from our rack - the speakers aren't that heavy.

I'd like to hear some opinions on these also.

• Members

I have two pairs also and love them. I'm sure there are better speakers out there, but maybe not for less money. And besides, mine are paid for!!

The only thing I have against my SP2Gs is, they don't have Speakon jacks. I pulled the jack cup out to see about replacing the 1/4" jacks, but the crossover is mounted on the back side of the cup and doesn't leave room for any Speakon jacks. I've decided when I get ready to replace the rat fur with truck bed liner, I'm going to cut a hole for another jack plate cup and put Speakons in there. On the other hand, I may just trade them for some newer Sp2s with Speakon jacks and bed liner type covering.

Unless you want a really light speaker, you can't go wrong with a Peavey SP2G!

Joel

• Members

I have two pairs also and love them. I'm sure there are better speakers out there, but maybe not for less money. And besides, mine are paid for!!

The only thing I have against my SP2Gs is, they don't have Speakon jacks. I pulled the jack cup out to see about replacing the 1/4" jacks, but the crossover is mounted on the back side of the cup and doesn't leave room for any Speakon jacks. I've decided when I get ready to replace the rat fur with truck bed liner, I'm going to cut a hole for another jack plate cup and put Speakons in there. On the other hand, I may just trade them for some newer Sp2s with Speakon jacks and bed liner type covering.

Unless you want a really light speaker, you can't go wrong with a Peavey SP2G!

Joel

I had some Bullfrog monitors that I modified/upgraded to speakons. The the crossover was glued to the back of the jack plate and I was able to peal it away with a butter knife without damaging anything. I used a Greenlee punch to open the previous 1/4" jack opening to accomodate a speakon. Everything worked like a charm!

Archived