EQ question about male vocals?

• Members

Hi....

this is a stupid question. I have been doing low harmonies in a band with 3 part harmonies. I have a bassy voice. What can I do to the EQ to make them stronger. I have a 3 band eq (bass, mid, high). Should I increase the bass or the high, etc???

Thanks

• Members

I fine that MOST people will do a slight cut for vocal anywhere from about 180- 500 hz, I find - for the most part, that I like this area, and tend to leave it alone , or give just a slight boost of about 2-3 db, at around 300hz +/-

as for the bassiness of your voice, try to find a balance between the lowest sound ( I think they are called formants) and the over tones(or high parts). Also keep in mind, that your mic technique will have a more profound effect on your sound then the EQ will.

the question to ask your self, when EQ something is not what needs to be louder, but rather, what part of this sound doesn't belong here, .. and then remove it.

Kev.

• Members

there are no stupid questions when you're trying to learn!! When I EQ I take the same steps for any channel... move all the pots every which way until it sounds good...sounds weird...well remember 1 thing...EQ with your ears! not your eyes...increasing the low EQ on a mixer to add bass may be a big waste adding low end wash where you don't need it...like above, removing is always best with any EQ....but sweep all the way through all you can, and you should hear worsening/improments...leave the knob where the improvement was...If I have a paremetric EQ I'll put the +/- knob to about + 10 then sweep the other knob, and likewise at -10...usually you'll find a sweet spot.

• Members

Hi there!

Mr. Bonehead wrote:

"Are the mids sweepable? What makes the vocals sound best? I'd do that."

Can someone please tell me what this means? I would love it if someone could give me a low-down on what this means and what it achieves...

Many thanks!!!

~Andrew

• Members

It also depends on how low the harmony part is. In my band, the low harmony of the three is rarely low enough to justify a bass boost. In southern gospel, that may not be true. Practice on this specific issue will give you loads of information you will need to get it the way YOU want it. It will require trial and error..repetition, experimentation with both settings and proximity effect of your mic. Have a blast figuring it out...you will be turning alot of knobs in the meantime. Boomy bass can result form a simple bass increase.

God bless!

-Ron

Archived