summing stereo to mono?

• Members

On my Yamaha P140 keyboard, I have two rca outputs - L and R, and apparently no capability to have just one mono signal running from either.

I want to use my Mackie SRM350 for light amplification at civil ceremonies/events etc. As there is only one TRS input (or XLR) for my Mackie, I need a way to take two mono signals and mix them into one mono that I can run to the speaker.

Would this do the job? http://www.behringer.com/MX400/

Alternatively, a stereo DI that could also mix the two mono inputs into 1 balanced XLR out would be even better. I have no idea if this kind of thing exists?

• Members

Run two RCA cables to this:

Or you could get an RCA-enabled directbox.

I don't think this will do what the poster wants. This just takes the L & R RCA signals and puts them on a Stereo (TRS) connector...no summing.

Something like this device (although I've never used this one) should work or better yet, PM Agedhorse he offers a line of products like this and may have something for you.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/260830.html

• Members

I don't think this will do what the poster wants. This just takes the L & R RCA signals and puts them on a Stereo (TRS) connector...no summing.

That's what I thought. Except that on that adaptor , the jack side is TS (i.e. mono). I'd need another one of these http://www.studiospares.com/Product.aspx?code=578040 to interface it with a standard mono jack lead -> speaker.

• Members

Go to Radio Shack and buy a cable with two RCA jacks on one end and a single mono 1/4" jack on the other.

You can also buy a simple Radio Shack "Y" connector with two RCA into one RCA and then get an RCA female to 1/4" cable.

If Radio Shack connectors bother you, Hosa makes them too.

• Members

Hmmm. No reason then not to do this with, say, 16 of them - then feed those to another 8, then down to 4, then to 2, and finally to one!

They only cost five bucks each. So for a paltry $155, one can avoid buying a mixer with all those complex buttons and knobs and switches and lights and sliders and jacks and meters and dials....

Go to Radio Shack and buy a cable with two RCA jacks on one end and a single mono 1/4" jack on the other.

You can also buy a simple Radio Shack "Y" connector with two RCA into one RCA and then get an RCA female to 1/4" cable.

;)

• Members

Radial makes a PC DI that has RCA inputs and 1/8" stereo inputs. Of course it's well over $100 and I'd think a simple two RCA into mono 1/4" adapter would work fine into whatever inexpensive DI you have. I use those to save a channel on CD inputs when I need to use a mono input.

Boomerweps

• Members

Depends on the keyboard.

Using a adapter to sum outputs is not best practice. The both output see a much lower impedance as they are designed for and that can muck with the frequency response and in extreme cases damage the unit.

If the keyboard is based on stereo samples, summing electrically can also cause significant intereference and the keyboard sounds "phasey" and "boxy".

It's worth trying just one channel. That's a lot easier and may actually sound better. If you need to sum, a little mini mixer should do the trick.

• Members

Boseengineer: Exactly. Doesn't the signal just know not to go up the other side of the Y cord back into the keyboard? :D

I'm actually surprised at some of the responses :confused:

DI boxes and adaptors/Ycords don't mix sources together, they offer parallel outs or split signals only.

I'd either simply try one output and see how the stereo is implemented or get a little passive mixer...or even one of the $40 Behringer mixers that GC has. A few of the Yamaha and Casio keys I've worked with sounded fine using one side. That's free.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/291153.html

• Members

This will work just fine IF (that's a big if) the keyboard has suitable buildout resistors on the outputs. Many do not, and this will cause either excessive distortion, loss of low end, or possibly failure of the keyboard's line drivers.

The proper solution that won't damage the keyboard is to utilize a special summing adaptor that has external buildout resistors, or a small (even a passive) mixer.

• Members

While you might get any/all of thse solutions to work from an electrical perspective - chances are very high that you won't be very happy with the resulting sound. Most digital pianos (like your Yamaha) sound like sh!t when run in a mono setup. A stereo amp setup is the only way to run today's digital pianos.

• Members

While you might get any/all of thse solutions to work from an electrical perspective - chances are very high that you won't be very happy with the resulting sound. Most digital pianos (like your Yamaha) sound like sh!t when run in a mono setup. A stereo amp setup is the only way to run today's digital pianos.

I've had some Yamaha and newer Casio stuff onstage lately and run one side into DI into the PA, it was fine, definitely not "sounding like {censored}" :). Some of the older units have an odd panning thing going on, but most of those have a 'mono' output jack. For cost reasons, the newer cheap keys I've seen have a lot less options, the Casio, for example only has an 1/8" output, it sounds great though..for a $399 digi piano.

Archived